Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2001 1:27:41 PM EDT
I'm taking a class at Thunder Ranch pretty soon and will be flying to class.  Does anyone have a recommendation for good flight-worthy gun cases that would fit two AR's (a 16" and a 20" post-bans) and a handgun or two?

I've heard good things about SKBs... but the ones I've looked at didn't look like they'd be big enough.  I'm also looking at a Cabela's two-scoped-rifle case or their Safari case.  Here's a link for the Cabela's cases:  [url]http://www.cabelas.com/texisXXXXs/store/+/CatalogDisplay/displayPOD/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998AAAaAD/XA654J[/url]

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What I do is get one of those foot lockers that measures less than the linear length limit for the airlines.  Then I just break downt he AR's and put them inside with padding.  You have to keep it light enough so it doesn't get tagged with and extra weight charge, but that's not that hard to do.  It also gives you a useful piece of luggage if you need it later for something other than guns.

What this does for you is give you a case that doesn't scream "GUN, STEAL ME" to anyone.  It also doesn't draw any attention to you in the airport at all.  The biggest advantage is you can lock it with a padlock.  Thieves that work in the baggage department already have all the keys to luggage and cases with them.  They just unlock a case that looks interesting, take what they want, then relock the case and send it on it's way.  The hasps are cheap and can be busted open easily, but that's taking a big chance to do that for possibly nothing.  A thief is more likely to move on to a piece of luggage that's more likely to hold something of value.  

If I were to want an actual case, I'd go with a Pelican.  They're one tough unit, and they have a pressure release valve.  

Ross
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
My advice is the same see if you can find something that is long enough to carry them broken down.Then tape the hell out fo it.Some hinges are easily taped out,you dont need to open the lock.Then take this case and put inside a ratty suitcase.If you have something new they will think something important is inside.You have a 70lbs limit so you should be able to make it.Declare you will be bringing a firearm when you get your ticket and when you check your luggage.Dont let them put any gun tag on the outside it is agianst federal law.
Each airline is alittle diffrent on there policy so check before you buy.My wife works for a airline and she knows her stuff.unlike some of them.I travel all the time with guns so email me I'll see if I can get any questions you have answered
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
This is about the most serious case you're ever going to find for your AR.  Built for Tromix by Viking Packaging, these cases are impressive.  Viking currently builds almost all of the cases for Airlines themselves for transporting Oxygen canisters and other inter-airline hazardous components now.  They also do cases for the military to house rocket engines and hand grenades.  This case has interanl high density foam cut out to fit the rifle and places for extra mags and accessories.  The cost is $225.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
www.tromix.com

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1531281&a=11594757&p=43669423&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Make shure you get extra insurance from the airline they wont cover that much.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys!  Right now, I think I'm leaning towards a Starlight case.  I'm going to contact them tomorrow I think.

The case in the picture above looks great - a lot like music gear flight cases.  I think they were called Anvil...?  Anyway, I checked vikingpackaging.com and didn't see anything that looked like the picture.

BTW - Is it the picture that makes the page so wide or the rediculously long URL in my original post?
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
No question here, PELICAN
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Want Stealth?

I took a "Sportube,"   which is a hard plastic, 2-piece,  ski transporter, that can handle 2+ pairs of skis or a few snowboards, and modified it. You can probably get one at REI or your local ski shop.

I went to "foam rubber city" and purchased some high-density foam the size of the inside of the tube, had them cut it cleanly in half lengthwise, then I sandwich my rifle between the foam. It even has wheels so you can drag the rifles behind you like the rest of your luggage.
Easily as sturdy and protective as a Pelican without the expense  AND  it does not scream "hey poor-delinquent-baggage-handler, steal me."  Stealth.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE FAN:
Make shure you get extra insurance from the airline they wont cover that much.
View Quote

The last time I checked a pistol (I believe it was Southwest), I was told they don't insure firearms. How's that for a set up? Tag it "steal me" and refuse to insure.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Believe it or not, the cheapy $14.95 Bushmaster cases I got with my guns have been from Maryland to Oregon 3 times now with no damage or theft.

I do make sure I take the cases without the BM sticker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top