Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 6:26:59 AM EDT
Do you think that the hours for a FAM would be similar to that of an airline pilot?
A few days on, and then several days off?
The description of the job mentions long hours, but then asks if you'd be willing to work 40 hours a week?.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Do you think that the hours for a FAM would be similar to that of an airline pilot?
A few days on, and then several days off?
The description of the job mentions long hours, but then asks if you'd be willing to work 40 hours a week?.
View Quote

Seems to me these are different jobs and I wouldn't expect the hours would be identical.

I'M NOT SURE but I don't believe Flight Attendants have the same hour requirements as pilots ?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I think they're pretty similar.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing they will be very similar to a flight crews. You may be on stand by in case of emergencies but they will probably adhere to the FAA crew rest guidelines. Like flight crews FAM's will most certainly travel free on any air line. That way they can drive to their local airport hop a ride to their duty route and go to work.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Regardless of hours, it sounds like a shitty job.  Are you going to ride in 1st class?  I don't think so.  You'll be back in steerage with the flatulent fliers.  Hours and hours of sitting in a cramped airline seat trying to stay alert will be your daily bread.  If you are lucky, that will be the whole of your career.  It has a dramatic name and is, when they actually have to do something, an incredibly heigh tension proposition.  In the end though, I think it would really work out to 35 years of boredom and no minutes of excitement for the majority who take on the job.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you're mostly right, there.
I have heard that on international flights, they will be flying first class.

However, the hours are what intrigues me.
I know that FBI agents work long hours because of ongoing investigations.  The Air Marshalls would RARELY see any action, so I think the hours would be constant.
A few days a week.
The other thing that may be nice, are the perks.
Free flying, and HOUSING ALLOWANCE.
They require residence in a metropolitan area, and pay a TAX FREE housing allowance.
International CCW is a nice perk, too.

Then again, maybe not.

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I applied, got a letter back saying "You Suck-GO Away"  I guess not checking any of the boxes that had anything to do with Law Enforcement proably did it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I applied, got a letter back saying "You Suck-GO Away"  I guess not checking any of the boxes that had anything to do with Law Enforcement proably did it.
View Quote

Ditto, and I even had a few of those boxes checked.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
If the hours are the same as (or close to) Pilots and FA's then it's a fairly cushy job...

Pilots fly something like 80 to 100 hours a [b]month[/b] by law (and contract). Of course, a bunch of their 'off time' is spent away from home - but all in all, not to bad a deal - especially considering the money a commercial polit earns.  If the FAM's make similar money - which they won't come close but even half is good - it's a nice job...

Too bad I'm too old...[:(]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The job involves what the government refers to as 25% availability pay.  

Essentially, federal LEO’s on this have to work a regular 40 hour week, plus they have to be “available” to work another 25% or 10 hours a week.  In exchange, they automatically get their salary upped by 25%

This is an average computed over a three-month period.  You can easily, say, work 20 extra hours one week and zero the next.

My experience is that being “available” means working, not sitting around waiting for your pager to go off – though in theory this can count.

The Sky Marshall job is a bit unique in that scheduling work is dependant on airline flights, connections, etc.   Also, I believe they will have some on-ground responsibilities.

Overall, it sounds like a miserable job, esp. as you get older.  I really think a job with DEA, ATF, etc. would be a lot better.

After about 5 years on the job, they’ll probably be making about $70,000 - 80,000 a year, at a minimum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top