Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2001 12:37:12 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience w/ the Ultimate Target & Sniper Stock made by Choate?

What's the difference between short action & long action on bolt guns?

Last, follow thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=8337
Am I asking to much?

Trying to sell the the lower combo to built a okay Bolt action.

Thanx for any & all inputs.

ACGUNNER

PEACE IS A LONG FORGOTTON DREAM !
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
There are several lengths on bolt.A hort action
is approx. 2.8" long.Savage, Remington,Winchester,Sako,ect.make this size action.To me a long action is 375H&H length,about 3.7"this is also called a magnum action.A standard action,30-06 size at 3.4" is called a standard.Most makers use magnun lentgh and block the mag well.Ruger make a true standard action which also holds 300 win mag ect.There is also the 416 Rigby size 3.85" Dakota and Ruger,CZ make these.There is also a 223-7.62x39 size action made by Sako and CZ at2.1or 2.2" I believe
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
ACG -

I had the Choate Ultimate Sniper with a 10FP Savage barreled action in it. It was EASILY sub-MOA capable.

IMO, the Choate is teh ABSOLUTE BEST buy for the money, if weight is not a major consideration. You'd have to spend 3-4 times for anything else comparable.

It has a t-rail for about ANY attachment you can imagine. COMPLETE free float of the barrel. Butt height adjustment screw for benchresting. Hollow handle for adding extra weight. Indestructable. Takes paint nicely. Swivels all over the place on it.

Its only drawback is  weight. Its heavy. Put a mid-weight scope on it and your lookin' at about 15 lbs. Honestly.

re: actions

Conventional wisdom has it that short actions are better, as you can work the bolt faster. Its an "opinion" thing.

Link Posted: 3/13/2001 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It is my opinion that Top Ramen is better than Macaroni and Cheese when you are broke.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, so far the stock sounds good.

Btw, Top Ramen is best. Espcially w/ hot sauce & at 8 for a dollar, can't be beat.

ACGUNNER

Red Meat is a long forgotton dream!
TOP RAMEN!
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]
McUzi, you stole my thunder! I was going to comment on the superiority of brussels sprouts to cabbage though...

Anyway, to get back on topic... Top Ramen is as low buck as a meal can get, but mac 'n cheese sticks with you a lot longer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyway, to get back on topic... Top Ramen is as low buck as a meal can get, but mac 'n cheese sticks with you a lot longer.
View Quote

I disagree. I believe that Ramen has more "flexabillity"- Meaning that it can be made into more a "meal"
Add some chopped onion, and a little egg-
Viola!
Soup.
Strain all the water, mix an egg in with the cooked, dry noodles, and you get a casserrole effect.
Crush the noodles, and mix together flaxor packages, I could go on and on.
Some folks eat it dry.
This is one of the most important issues we as Americans face today. I believe that we all need to do a little soul searching, and find out which side of the ball we are on.
Ramen, or Mac and Cheese.

McChef
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
But you've changed the rules! The discussion was Top Ramen vs. mac 'n cheese. Add a bit of this and some of that and you no longer have Top Ramen, but merely a Top Ramen based dish. I strongly support the mac 'n cheese faction. We will be sitting on our couches, contentedly belching up that box of Kraft long after you're in the kitchen searching for another pack of Top Ramen.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Grandman I was going to purchase a 110 tactical and put the Choate Ult.sniper stock and a trigger system in do you recomend this as a fairly cheap  questionable sniper weapon ,Heard alot of people say it can deffinetly be MOA.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]
ACGUNNER,
I would recommend the Ultimate Sniper Stock if that is the best you can afford. Obviously the custom McMillans are of better quality but a lot more money.  I just ordered a new sniper stock about a month ago and it was 900 bucks.  

As far as a long vs short action it kinda depends on the type of shooting.  For short distances up to about 600 yards a short action is your best bet because you don't need a long action caliber and the short throw of the bolt allows for quicker follow up shots.  But for long range sniper shooting you really need a bigger caliber and thus a long action.  This is not a rule, but rather guide.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I support Mac and Cheese. Mac and Cheese has better nutritional value than does Top Ramen. Cheese flavored stuff has protein, right? Also, the dried cheese package can be used to flavor far more dishes, with greater substance, I might add, than ever would a Top Ramen Flavor package.

McUzi, in MY area, Mac and Cheese can be had for 30 cents a box +/-, and I refuse to convert to the lowly Top Ramen faction. Mac and Cheese will fill you up, where Top Ramen will leave you hangin'.

Besides, everyone knows that Maruchan Ramen is better tasting, the noodles aren't so coarse, and the spices in the flavor package are more subtlely blended.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Top Ramen or Mac n' Cheese?  My little girl likes both.  So do I.  But, recent experience make me realize that probably the only thing I can bring up to add substance to this dispute is a recommendation.  Simply put, if you experiment with either - at least don't mix them together!  [:X*]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top