Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2002 6:27:04 PM EDT
I've been told by a recent visitor to Michigan (Detroit area) that the traffic laws there do not permit left turns.  Motorists are supposed to go through the intersection, make a U-turn, then come back and turn right.

Is this true?
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a bridge for sale, if you're interested.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm relieved to hear that it's a very localized phenomenon.  I was starting to fear that folks in the state up north were suffering from more than bad taste in football teams. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of metro Detroit has the infamous michigan left.  These links explain it better than I could.  

http://www.detroitnews.com/2001/commuting/0111/11/d16-338565.htm

http://members.aol.com/MichiganHwys/MichiganLeft/
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, they have certain roads that this is done on.

There are some of these roads in the Grand Rapids area. It's a pain in the arse, at first to get used to, but it does seem to have had the desired effect in reducing the Left Turn lane backup.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in the Detroit area and don't find the Michigan Left all that annoying.

What I don't like is the way Ohio (Dayton area specifically) expects you to get up to full speed when merging onto the highway with no acceleration lane to speak of. They just put you out there and too bad for you if there's someone there. What's the name for that?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I live in the Detroit area and don't find the Michigan Left all that annoying.

What I don't like is the way Ohio (Dayton area specifically) expects you to get up to full speed when merging onto the highway with no acceleration lane to speak of. They just put you out there and too bad for you if there's someone there. What's the name for that?
View Quote
Highway carnage.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
They would stop at the yield sign and wait for who knows what, drove me nuts.
View Quote

I still see that about once a month here in SC.  Usually, I just blow the horn, constantly, until they start moving.  I don't mean a quick tap.  I mean I just leave it blowing until they get the point.

Speaking of Virginia, why do they have no left turn signs on interstate acceleration lanes?  If you can't go left, what are you supposed to do?z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top