Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2002 12:13:23 PM EDT
This is too funny.

[img]www.gunssavelife.com/fistful2.jpg[/img]

As a demonstration of this, two members of  GunsSaveLife traveled to Joliet, Illinois, on Saturday November 3rd, 2001, and upon handing over some sixteen worn out discard and junk guns -- came out with eight-hundred dollars ($800!). The "recycled" guns were about as junk as can be imagined. The collection included --  

Two worn out and  inoperable single shot shotguns,  a Mauser converted to shotgun with stuck and broken bolt as well as cracked stock,  three broken and incomplete spur trigger revolvers manufactured circa 1880,  four .22 rifles in various stages of decay, including one with a ruptured barrel,  one very rusty .22 rifle with a broken stock minus the action , a worn out and non-firing Spanish copy of a S&W Model 10 in an obscure caliber, and  four break-opens revolvers from the early 1900’s.

The entire collection of "guns" represented less than $25 in value, and that would be just
for a couple of sets of the grips and other parts that were not removed in our haste to be on
time to the buy-back submission. And yet, Joliet Housing Authority officials gladly handed
our two members sixteen $50 bills in exchange for several handfuls of rusty junk -- a
fistful of dollars!

Go to [url]www.gunssavelife.com[/url], and click on the "Fistful of Dollars" for the complete story.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
hehehe,  think of the implications of this, the gun [b]grabbers[/b] financing the hobbies of the gun [b]buyers [/b] with their bogus buyback programs and actually putting more, useful guns back on the street!  It's beautiful,  kind of like when I call PETA every time I see one of their adds and tell them I'm going to go shoot a couple of innocent birds just cause they reminded me to.   LOL  I'm going to start buying every piece of crap rustbucket I can get my hands on in order to trade for cash to buy new guns.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
He he. $800...let's see...that could buy a nice postban Bushmaster, or a couple of Glocks, or a nice 1911...
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately here in Tampa they don't hand out cash.  They trade for $20 Wal-Mart or local grocery store certificates.  One time I called the PD and asked them if I can buy from some of the people bringing in guns.  He said no and hung up on me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
They tried one of those in Oklahoma City about six years ago. There was not ONE operable or servicable firearm turned in. It was a merchandise exchange deal, too. A gun shop owner I knew sold a couple of broken single shot Stevens shotguns that he'd already stripped of serviceable parts to a woman for $25 each. She in turn traded them in for new Starter jackets for her kids' Christmas presents. They were valued at something like $80 each. These gun control advocates missed out on some math, too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]
... A few years ago the local paper announced a gun buyback program in a small township in the Valley. My brother and I put together a plan.

... I went in with an AR-15 slung over my shoulder. The sponsors were actually taking pictures of me as I walked up to the table surrounded by local officials, pulled a broken $9 revolver POS out of my jacket pocket and turned it in. They asked about the AR-15 and I laughed out very loud.  

... Oh man if looks could kill, the local Sheriff even asked about the "pistol hidden in my pocket" after the transaction. Their sour experience even took a turn for the worst when I simply presented my CCW permit.

... I got a $50 gift certificate for a broken revolver I paid $9 bucks for.

... Ah, lifes more memorable moments! I don't think I was the only one with this idea though because I haven't heard of one around here since.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#7]
stubbs,

I kinda see where you are coming from, but there's two sides to this issue.

Your buddies got $800.00 for sixteen junk guns.

The antis get to crow about taking your sixteen dangerous firearms off the street, making the community safer, and helping to insure another such buyback program next year.

[b]That is bad!![/b]

Knock it off. If you want to toss monkey wrenches, try a different tactic. This one just makes the banners look good.

Stand outside and protest. Offer to buy the guns. Heckle the organizers. Taking their money is not hurting them. It's not their money.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
D.H., you're right.

If you could use this example to shame the local authorities and sponsors of the event, then that would be great.

Looks like now I've crossed over into the realm of armchair activism. I do not mean to belittle any effort you pursue as you rage against the machine. At least you are trying.

I just don't think making their buyback a big success is the right strategy.    
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The gun grabbers are getting wiser.
The last couple of buybacks that were in my area were give certificates from some mall stores.  On the news, the sheriff said they were only paying for WORKING guns, and shooters should leave their non-firing relics over their fireplaces.
 Depending on the gun, they had different payouts, too.  You got more for "assault weapons" than you would for a .22, shotgun, or hunting rifle.  They were so proud of this beat-to-hell SKS someone brought in, and paraded it on the 6 o'clock and 11 o'clock news.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
stubbs,

The antis get to crow about taking your sixteen dangerous firearms off the street, making the community safer, and helping to insure another such buyback program next year.  
View Quote

But, wait, thet are taking dangerous firearms off the street...you never know when someone may accidentally cut themselves on one of the old, rusted, inoperable firearms.  The cut could get infected and gangrene set in.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unfortunately here in Tampa they don't hand out cash.  They trade for $20 Wal-Mart or local grocery store certificates.  One time I called the PD and asked them if I can buy from some of the people bringing in guns.  He said no and hung up on me.
View Quote

Thats funny.. being from Tampa it is too bad they don't give out 50 dollars or I would be down there. You can still buy new guns at walmart ;). If I ever hear of one I would go and stand away from the crowd and see if anyone has anything worth a private sale.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#14]
You could always order a bunch of U-FIX-EM rifles from Century International Arms.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Yo, yo, yo, let's not be fo'gettin all dem homiez who be tradin in der' gatz dey whacked some beotch wit. Wit' no (forensics) questions axed.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know whether ATF considers it a violation of federal law to turn in a homemade gun at one of these events?

If it's legal, I can churn out a dozen or so .22lr single-shots in my basement to help pay the mortgage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top