Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2002 3:30:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#2]
"I've just returned to the US after spending 2 weeks back in England and was absolutely shocked at the level of crime compared to the US. My 70-year-old parents who live in Torpoint, Cornwall recently found 2 youths who had broken into the cellar under the house and were nonchalantly drinking stolen beer. When confronted by my father, one of the youths calmly threatened to tell police he was being molested by my father. When the police finally arrived, the officer said the youths were well known to them and belonged to a criminal family who had been relocated from Birmingham but they were unlikely to be prosecuted.
David Mann, UK/USA"
View Quote

My favorite quote.  Doesn't the future look quite bright indeed?

[IMG]http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I read a report last week that armed crime ibn England has nicreased by something like 40% last year.

Gun control, indeed!
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
This is what I sent in,
Hope the post it.
c-rock

After reading about thiefs getting caught in someones house, getting mugged on the street, crimes being un-reported, and the rest going on across the lake. I am pround to have a "gun culture" in my country. :)  
A pround Hispanic-American gun owner.
Carl

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what I sent in,
Hope the post it.
c-rock

After reading about thiefs getting caught in someones house, getting mugged on the street, crimes being un-reported, and the rest going on across the lake. I am pround to have a "gun culture" in my country. :)  
A pround Hispanic-American gun owner.
Carl

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]
As somebody who is married to a Briton, (Scot, actually, of German heritage) has Scottish/English/German relatives and in-laws, and has spent MUCH time in Europe, I can tell you all, telling Europeans that civilian gun ownership for any reason other than hunting (maybe) is beneficial is an utter waste of time, with some exceptions, usually people who have spent time in the US or ex-mil, and sometimes, not even then.

They are mostly utterly ignorant, fearful and loathing of firearms, and associate them with criminals, anti-social elements (usually neo-Nazis and drug dealers) and mass murderers. To them we US gun people are ALL utter lunatics, and they either don't understand or don't want to know about the concept of American self-reliance and self-defence, and are brought up to believe that a gun will make you more likely to kill yourself or your next door neighbor with it instead of dissuading a burglar or mugger. (If that is true, then my guns must be defective....)

As for the skyrocketing crime rate over there- and yes, it is REAL- their attitude is, well, if we had legal guns, the murder rate would be worse- go figure. I can never get a cogent explanation out of my in-laws on that one. Self-defence is pretty much illegal in the UK, and has been since the 1950s. If you are attacked, other than attempting to flee, legally one cannot use deadly force to save one's life- that is the realm of the state, not of the individual. To do so would be considered an insult to HM Govt- in effect, saying that the police are incompetent, and incapable of protecting you....

The only exception I've been able to get out of them is for a farmer in the country who might need a shotgun for self-defence against wild animals or burglars. Again, go figure. Just like real estate- location, location, location.

Gun enthusiasts, such as ourselves, are seen societally in the UK as being beyond the pale. (I can only guess as to what Paolo in IT, Kuiper in NL and Tuukka in SU experience.) But I say, if they are so bad, and you are afraid of them, why are you not too afraid to come visit us in the States, where our country is full of such people? And- I'm ONE OF THEM... I can't get a good answer out of my in-laws on that one either.

Europeans and Americans. Two VERY different ways of looking at life.

At least my sister-in-law, God bless her, wants to come over here next visit and shoot my Armalite. Again, go figure.....[%|]  
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 3:12:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#10]
At my current job we had an outside contractor who is a native Brit. My first week here he was visiting my boss (a babe) & he saw my S&W watch. His comment? "You're not going to shoot us all, are you?" My response? "No, but I'll protect you from someone who does." He was speechless.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[url]http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/talking_point/newsid_1754000/1754834.stm[/url]
See also: Help me I'm falling...[url]http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1619000/1619107.stm[/url]
And: Up, Up, and Away! [url]http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1446000/1446260.stm[/url]
View Quote

That's really tough. The crime rate is going up and down? No wonder they can't be trusted with firearms... I find it interesting as hell that Euroweenies always talk about US crime as a reason to have gun control, but the cities they refer to are always the ones with the most draconian laws in the US... NYC, Philly, Chi-town, Boston, LA/Kalifornistan...
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Those poor poor Brits.  They sure as heck ignore the fact that they could protect themselves, so much so, that they let their government take away the right to do so.

I pray that we, and our future generations will never let that happen here.  

M@
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Part of the problem: the vast majority of the europeans who had any balls either fled to the U.S., or were killed in one of the two world wars. Current conduct is as expected. Simple darwin.

I have converted Europeans, but it takes years of work -- you have to argue with them repeatedly, in a consistently reasoned way, and you have to not expect them to instantly agree. Rather, your goal should be to sow seeds and present arguments -- they'll never shift their minds unless they think they arrived at the conclusions themselves. Just sow the ideas, present the facts, sow a little doubt in their liberal "teachers," and often a few months later you'll be surprised to hear them saying pro-gun things.

The main thing is, present yourself as rational, calm, a protector/leader type. If you pull it off right, you'll combine their shock at finding out you aren't a whacko, with their natural instinct to listen to "authority figures," and you'll make the conversion. It takes time, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top