Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2001 10:16:46 AM EDT
I just saw him on "The View", he was not very good. Barbara Walters showed great respect and helped him by saying he has borne a lot of criticism and carried it well. I think if Tom Selleck were to take this position in the NRA he would be much more articulate and provide a better image to the public than Heston's "old white guy" who seems so out of touch.

Link Posted: 3/13/2001 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Just thought I'd get this ready 'cause I know who's coming to dinner.

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~keefet/_uimages/notsofresh.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 3/13/2001 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure what that means but it is disgusting and unnecessary.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say extremely disgusting![puke]
I agree Selleck would be a much better person for the job.  Heston just does'nt cut it, and I don't know why the NRA can't or won't put someone up front that can verbalize their arguements, Heston will get ate up by media pros.
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My God people, he split the Red Sea, and defeated the Pharoh's warriors. How can you call him "old and out of touch"? I truly do have the greatest respect for Mr. Heston, but sometime in the near future there will be a changing of the guard. He is a great spokesman for his gereration. Mr. Selleck may be the greatest spokesman for gun rights of my generation. When he is old and out of touch, who will be the new guard of the next generation? Puff Daddy????
Link Posted: 3/13/2001 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Gentlemen, Might I suggest a country music star by the name of Aaron Tippen ... this guy LOVES to have his pic taken with AR15's and hosts an annual BBQ and shoot at his ranch ... heck look for yourselves ... this months edition of GunGames ... www.gungames.com .... check it out. I gotta buy this guys CD's ... I'll support him !
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#6]
OK. While I don't see anything wrong with criticizing Heston, I just can't stand the "old white guy" argument.  It seems to me that this is a staple for those who believe that the constitution is a "living breathing document" written by "old white guys" whose ideas are too out of date for modern society. I can't help but feel that something out there wants us to feel guilty about and ultimately forget our past.  Just look at the younger bolder faces that adorn our new paper currency.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, but I cant think of one movie were Chucky didnt overact. Everything he does is way over the top with drama.
Tom Selleck wasn`t the best when he was ambushed either. Big fat Lou Costello head Rosie wouldnt shut her yap long enough for a debate. There has to be someone with a mouth that can purposely walk into these ambushes with good ammo. Oh and he cant wear a bad wig.
How about Kurt Russell, Bruce Willis, or.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Why are you guys pissing on a friend?  I don't see a lot of other famous people stepping up to take his place.  We owe Mr. Heston our thanks.  Flawed?  Yes.  Could others do better?  Perhaps.  He's paid his dues and more.  If you can do better, then do it.  Watch-Six out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I think Mr Heston has done a good job. We the NRA desperatly needed someone high-profile and respected on our side. Remember when he was elected the media were really painting the NRA as a very extremist group as they still are, but his presence helped to blount that portrayel. I also agree we need someone younger and more articulate next time around and that person needs to step forward now. I think MR Selleck or Tippen could be fine choices. But I would give the nod to Selleck because he is more widely known.  I also think a good choice would be someone who is a great supporter of the NRA and the Second Amendment,but also has strong ties to the democratic party (I DON'T KNOW IF THIS PERSON STILL EXIST.) Someone like a rerired senator, judge or congressman. A person like this could re-establish that it was politically acceptable to support the constitution again and be a democrat. This use to be the case with most southern democrats. Also the person would understand how the political process works at this level. However I think the anti-gunners and democrats are seeing it is easier to accomplish their goals on the local and state level. See Kalifornia,Mass,Maryland,Chicago who have or are passing restrictive laws. We need to locate high-profile well respected individuals to represent our interest on the local level.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#10]
How about the Motorcity Madman? Ted Nugent wouldn't have any trouble with the likes of Rosie O' Donut:) and he sure doesn't have any trouble articulating!!!!

Rick
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#11]
When Heston reads from a script, there is no one better--think of those awesome Bud Light radio commercials he (or someone who sounded a helluvalot like him) used to do--they were great!!!

When Heston needs to be spontaneous, he's not as good. But I still think he's better than Selleck could ever be. Selleck came off as weak when FatFacedRosie ambushed him. Nugent is too arrogant. Bill O'Rielly or Rush would be awesome....
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When Heston reads from a script, there is no one better--think of those awesome Bud Light radio commercials he (or someone who sounded a helluvalot like him) used to do--they were great!!!

When Heston needs to be spontaneous, he's not as good. But I still think he's better than Selleck could ever be. Selleck came off as weak when FatFacedRosie ambushed him. Nugent is too arrogant. Bill O'Rielly or Rush would be awesome....
View Quote

O'Reilly would be awesome!
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: My God people, he split the Red Sea, and defeated the Pharoh's warriors. How can you call him "old and out of touch"?
View Quote

Don't forget; He's an excellent painter of ceilings, he can fight post apocalyptic pseudo-vampires, & is a one man army when it comes to (the FDA's job of) investigating strange ingredients in food.

Above all else -- nobody knows more about fighting monkeys........
Somehow, that seems especially relevant these days.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Hate him or Love him everyone has a opinion. The 67,000,000 non NRA members are the real problem. I sure wish Gun Owners of America had 4,000,000 members.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://www.acmecity.com/thematrix/one/40/TRTbenhur.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Excuse me, what planet are you guys on?

If you would crawl out of your holes you would find that civility has become the order of the day in politics.  No personal attacks, no corse language, no yelling.

The result is that the liberals are comming off looking like screeming loonies.  GW and the rest of his campaign set the tone during the Florida recounts, with the result that the Democrats came off looking like rabid, powermad goons, thanks to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Rosie O'Lardbut has had her show cancelled, the last new episode will be sometime in May.  Her ambush of Selleck, and the non-combative way Selleck handled it, cost her numerous sponsors and a lot of stations didnt re-up their contracts.  The production company has chosen to close up the show rather than eek along on the reduced budget- which may not of covered Lardbuts exorbinant salary.

It may not of given you the viceral thrill of someone like Nugent tearing into Rosie and calling her a cunt whore dyke and screaming at her,  but it did our cause a LOT of good in the suburbs where we needed help.
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I also saw Heston on "The View", and I think held up well. He was diplomatic and likable, and those are traits that all can appreciate.   I would only hope that I could do as well when outnumbered and taking fire on all sides. Considering the typical audience of that swill, I don't think he changed any minds.

Yes, it is true that he appeals more to my generation than the younger folks.  However, he does lend some credibility to the NRA. It is hard to demonize the NRA as frothy-mouthed gun nuts with Heston at the helm.  Besides, I don't see too many well respected celebrities lining up to take his place.  A bunch of names have been tossed around, but until somebody else steps up to the plate, Heston is it.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#18]
For crying out loud, you guys, lighten up on Mr. Heston.  I thought he did a splendid job on The View, considering the venue.

We're the only f-ing army in the world that shoots its own wounded.

Link Posted: 3/14/2001 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I like Charleton Heaston, and I think he does a good job. I still want my Silver Bullet, I signed up for a three year term with them and all I got was a stupid hat.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 3/14/2001 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I think Mr. Heston should be commended for all the effort and time he puts into the NRA's causes. When I'm his age I'm going to be doing some fishing, hunting and traveling if my health is good enough. I'm sure he would rather be doing that too. My idea is that Selleck does not have to be President of the NRA to be a major player in gun ownership and rights.  He can simply join the team.  Being a high profile person and not using that to furthur what you believe in (in todays fight) is just as bad as being an anti.  At least Ted Nugent gives it his all every chance he gets. It has hurt him in many ways but he is willing to sacrifice.  We do need some young blood to make shooting the "in thing" to do. Selleck and Ted can help do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top