Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2002 8:16:17 AM EDT
Let's get some opinions on which rifle is the easiest to strip, clean and maintain...  The AK is an obvious choice, but are there any takers on the AR? FAL? M1A!?!?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't like the AK.  The AK is reliable (read: it is put together with such loose tolerances) enough that you really don't need to clean it.

I'd say the AR rates up there in ease of disassembly, but all the little parts are a bitch to keep track of if you are fieldstripping the weapon at night in the woods with nothing but a gas lantern for light.

My personal choice for the easiest to maintain, fieldstrip, etc, etc, is an M-14 clone.  It is extremely easy to strip, only strips into a few large parts, and can be shot dry (although not something I'd do with my baby).
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I agree that when stripping the M-14/M1A into only its three main component parts it is easy and simple... however, at some point you do have to take the op rod off, which on mine is a REAL bitch... and then there is also the gas system as well, eventhough it doesn't need to be cleaned often.  Also, it requires the use of grease, which is just something else that takes up space in my cleaning kit box...
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
i have a couple of aks and an fal.  the ak is the easiest to clean and the fal is about the same.  the only part of the fal that really gets dirty is the gas piston and piston tube, and gas selector and gas block.  the bolt and carrier just require wiping down after hundreds of rounds, none of the gas makes it to the receiver.  there are no small parts to lose and field stripping takes just seconds.  the ar15/m16 has a few small parts that if lost leaves one up shit creek without a paddle(cotter pin comes to mind).
the fal is a rugged piece of gear
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, since no one has said if this is specefic to rimfire, or centerfire, I'll toss the AR-7 into the mix. You CAN slosh it around in a creek to clan it, and lube it with spit..

Of the ones mentioned so far, I'll second the FN/FAL. It does'nt come much easier.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]
The AR is also easy to strip and maintain I think.  Unless you have to take the bolt apart then you get more small parts.  But my AR's are easier than my AK's, just due to the AK's dust covers being very tight.  Especially if you get push pins.

crashburnrepeat
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#8]
M14/M1A, simply because you can do all the maintenance you'll ever need to without fieldstripping it. Merely lock the bolt back on an empty mag, swab the bore, use a toothbrush on the bolt face and interior of the receiver, and use a pen oiler to put a few drops of lube on the op rod and spring (and trigger assembly if necessary.) Once a year or so, strip it down and detail clean it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, I agree that when stripping the M-14/M1A into only its three main component parts it is easy and simple... however, at some point you do have to take the op rod off, which on mine is a REAL bitch...
View Quote

The op rod thing is unique to the Springfield Armory Inc. M1A. They do something different with the slots on the receiver. My Poly Tech comes off as easy as My M-1(both with the Chinese and TRW U.S.G.I. op rod). I've never striped an AK but out of my M14S, M-1, M-1 Carbine and AR's I'd say the AR is easiest to strip and clean. However throw in the maintain part of the question and it's the M14S. You  don't have to clean it as often as the AR
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]
No contest - the FAL.  But the AR is a close second in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, I agree that when stripping the M-14/M1A into only its three main component parts it is easy and simple... however, at some point you do have to take the op rod off, which on mine is a REAL bitch... and then there is also the gas system as well, eventhough it doesn't need to be cleaned often.  Also, it requires the use of grease, which is just something else that takes up space in my cleaning kit box...
View Quote

I own a Springfield M1A; I've never had any trouble getting the operating rod off.  I guess it must just be practice.  

As I said in my first post, the rifle can be shot dry and still be totally reliable.  You don't absolutely need grease to make the rifle work.  It's nice to grease it every time because greasing significantly reduces wear on the parts, but it really isn't required for relaible operation.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Same here - the op rod comes off my M1A with no trouble at all. Pull back to the disassmbly notch, lift upward and outward, then pull it the rest of the way out of the guide. It's just as easy going back in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#13]
M1A is pretty easy, but the AK's are even easier.

It just seems to me the AR always takes more time to lubricate and clean.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#14]
H&R Handi Rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top