Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2002 7:31:20 AM EDT
Anybody seen this? [url]http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid=1458[/url]

Any comments?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Thats the idea.Although I would prefer to make a go of it for a bit longer than the first confrontation.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Those libertarians should all be rounded up and put in jail since not only do they want to cause trouble but they make the republicans lose elections.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I was born hungry,crying,and covered in blood ....[blue]I've accepted I'll probally die this way[/blue][:|]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Libertarians matter, believe me.  It may not come out in the elections, but behind the scenes, libertarians make a big difference by offering at least some kind of alternative viewpoints whenever anything gets seriously debated.  Now when the Congress passes something like the PATRIOT Act, with *NO* debate, that's something else altogether.

As far as dying alone goes, I think be incarcerated as a political prisoner for life would be worse.  I see no slowdown in the media reports of gun confiscations and people who had "arsenals" in their homes. Tried and convicted by the media.  My gun collection is an arsenal.  I think it's pretty clear who they think the enemy is.  

Have you seen our airports?  Armed National Guard troops and cops with German Shepherds.  Who is that meant to intimidate?  Looks a lot like the train stations ca. 1938-1945 Europe, don't you think?  How long before that same reality comes to shopping malls, city streets, state borders, etc?  National IDs, "Your papers, please comrade?"  Am I overreacting?

Oh, and I almost forgot.  The US just opened its first concentration camp in Cuba this week.  Barbed wire fences, armed guards, dogs, etc.  All so we can pretend to try these people and then execute them with a clear conscience.  

My advice:  If there is some kind of attack announced and the government is offering you free evacuation, you should politely decline the invitation.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, he shows that he doesn't really know what he is talking about:
A prominent notice that it was a federal offense not to inform the airline of firearms in checked baggage, which would of course be discovered by the Immense Machine. It's not, oddly enough, an offense to HAVE a firearm in checked baggage. But to be legal, the baggage must receive a sticker that says, in effect, "steal this bag."
View Quote

The luggage does NOT get a sticker.  You fill out a tag that is put on the INSIDE of the luggage.  I have had one or two ticket counter agents try to tell me to put the tag on the outside, but in each case the manager I called over corrected them and the tag went inside.

In this thread there is more of trickshots usual mindless blathering about hating this country.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, he shows that he doesn't really know what he is talking about

The luggage does NOT get a sticker.  You fill out a tag that is put on the INSIDE of the luggage.  I have had one or two ticket counter agents try to tell me to put the tag on the outside, but in each case the manager I called over corrected them and the tag went inside.
View Quote
Which begs two questions:  1) Because the author (who has probably never shipped a firearm in baggage) did not know this, are you implying that his entire essay is in error?  And 2) If the tag goes on the INSIDE, WTF is the purpose of "tagging" the bag?

A third question:  Don't they wrap "steal me" tape around said bags in order to "seal" them?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, he shows that he doesn't really know what he is talking about

View Quote
Which begs two questions:  1) Because the author (who has probably never shipped a firearm in baggage) did not know this, are you implying that his entire essay is in error?  And 2) If the tag goes on the INSIDE, WTF is the purpose of "tagging" the bag?

A third question:  Don't they wrap "steal me" tape around said bags in order to "seal" them?
View Quote
Maybe he does or does not know what he is talking about, I just tend to start doubting someone when they make a glaring error.  If he has never checked a firearm in luggage, as you suggest, then he should not be opining about something he knows nothing about.

The tag goes on the inside so if there is a question about whether it was declared, the tag is inside to show that it was.  The tag shows up in the machine also.  How much do you fly?  I fly all the time with checked firearms and that is the way it goes.  I am talking about pistols.  Most rifles are in their cases and they are sealed but it is pretty obvious what they are with or without a tag or a seal.  If it is a pistol in checked luggage, there is NO outer indication of this.  The bag is not "tagged".
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I've flown a few time with my firearms as well, and the tag goes on the inside of the bag - but I have heard of instances where someone tagged the outside - whether that was the way it used to be or was simply a mistake I don't know

I don't think that it deletes from the rest of the article though, as it may be that it's been so long since he's flown with a firearm, that the regulations may have changed.  The rest of the piece seemed reasonably well thought out, though.  It does paint a bit of a "'40s Nazi occupied France" picture.  Which is one reason I haven't gone near an airport in a while.  Strangely, neither has my wife

I hope that eventually all those guardsmen get to go home, and we get back to a more 'normal' existance ... but I think while they might go home, we won't get back to 'normal' ever again - at least not without some reforms.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe he does or does not know what he is talking about, I just tend to start doubting someone when they make a glaring error.
View Quote
 In journalism, that would be a "minor misstatement", I think.  "Glaring error" is reserved for accusing the Defense Department of nerve-gassing deserters.[:X*]
If he has never checked a firearm in luggage, as you suggest, then he should not be opining about something he knows nothing about.
View Quote
But that's the problem with the internet - anybody can write anything about whatever they like.  It's our job to winnow the wheat from the chaff.  Apparently he knew a little (which is sometimes more dangerous than knowing nothing - especially if you're a member of Congress.)[;D]
The tag goes on the inside so if there is a question about whether it was declared, the tag is inside to show that it was.  The tag shows up in the machine also.  How much do you fly?  I fly all the time with checked firearms and that is the way it goes.  I am talking about pistols.  Most rifles are in their cases and they are sealed but it is pretty obvious what they are with or without a tag or a seal.  If it is a pistol in checked luggage, there is NO outer indication of this.  The bag is not "tagged".
View Quote
I fly about six to ten times a year, but not with a firearm.  I have seen cases marked with tape, but in searching my memory I cannot come up with a time in which I have seen a suitcase so marked.  I suppose I assumed (and we all know what that means) that if they tape-wrapped rifle cases, then they did the same when a pistol was shipped.  My mistake.  Learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A prominent notice that it was a federal offense not to inform the airline of firearms in checked baggage, which would of course be discovered by the Immense Machine. It's not, oddly enough, an offense to HAVE a firearm in checked baggage. But to be legal, the baggage must receive a sticker that says, in effect, "steal this bag."
View Quote

View Quote

LARRYG, you really should pull your head out of  your ass some time and look around.

The tag USED to have to go on the outside.  That was changed, IIRC by the Brady Act (amazingly enough).  However, some airlines STILL from time to time create policies that the tag must go on the outside.  United did this for a while about two years ago, until enough people complained that it was in direct violation of federal law that they changed their policy.

Now, shove your head nice and deep back where it belongs, and take a deep breath of what you call "fresh air".
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I look at it this way: I am going to DIE. No matter what I do, who I am, where I am, how much  (or little) money or power that I have: I am going to DIE. And so is everyone else. Sooner or  Later: we are ALL going to DIE.

Death is NOT an option. It is an undeniable fact of life. The ONLY thing that we really have a choice in is how we are going to spend our time living our brief lives.

Are we going to live them as someone's slave, on our knees ? Or are we going to live and die as free men. Personally I think it is better to die as a free man than as a slave.

Sooner or later as law abiding as I may be, the laws will change and I will start to part company with the ranks of the law abiding.

Because I have accepted the inescapable fact that I am going to DIE. I am not worried about the threat of capital punishment or the means of  how I am going to die.

If I have to shoot to kill in order to remain free, then I will do so. I also know that "after the first one, the rest are free". That is: they can only execute you once.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

LARRYG, you really should pull your head out of  your ass some time and look around.

The tag USED to have to go on the outside.  That was changed, IIRC by the Brady Act (amazingly enough).  However, some airlines STILL from time to time create policies that the tag must go on the outside.  United did this for a while about two years ago, until enough people complained that it was in direct violation of federal law that they changed their policy.

Now, shove your head nice and deep back where it belongs, and take a deep breath of what you call "fresh air".
View Quote
 This guy was talking about a recent trip to the airport, not years ago.  I fly all the time and have never put a tag on the outside for any airline.  

You know, you could have expressed the same thing without getting insulting, but you are just showing your inferiority to most of us here by your attitude and the low level of maturity shown by your post.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#17]
The US just opened its first concentration camp
View Quote
......We had concentration camps LONG before Hitler came along. Indian Reservations come to mind......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top