Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 4:49:26 PM EDT
I found what I thought was a good deal on a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Covert Folder
with a silver blade.  I got it for $109.  Online, I couldn't find one for less than $150.  Hows it sound?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The sales guy just about cut the crap out of himself showing me it...[chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
i know the guy who designed this knife,  it's a super knife and you'll really like it. The only gripe that I have with Gerber knives in general is that the pocket clip is on the "wrong" end.  I have talked to Bill about it and for some reason Gerber doesn't want to put it on the other end. When you draw a knife with the pocket clip on the same end as the hinge you have to rotate it 180 degrees to get it open.

I've been emailing gerber every few weeks for a year now trying to get them to reverse the pocket clip, or at least make it moveable.

It's a great knife though, one of the sharpest from the factory you'll ever get. That, the benchmades and the spydercos.  I have cut the livin' beejeesus out of myself with all three just by bumping the blades before I dulled them cutting stuff.

crash.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
got mine at the BX for $89.00
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it sounded familiar, I've seen it at the PX.  I hear its a very good knife though from the guys who've had it.
What kind of steele is it?, ats-34..  154-cm??
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup, It's an ATS-34 blade...silver in color.  I wanted a black blade, but they didn't have any.  It's a single edge unit....I'd probably cut the crap out of myself with a double edge.

The store also had a full sized combat, but it looked huge.  The covert is 3/4 size.  Perfect size I think.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only gripe that I have with Gerber knives in general is that the pocket clip is on the "wrong" end.  I have talked to Bill about it and for some reason Gerber doesn't want to put it on the other end. When you draw a knife with the pocket clip on the same end as the hinge you have to rotate it 180 degrees to get it open.

I've been emailing gerber every few weeks for a year now trying to get them to reverse the pocket clip, or at least make it moveable.
View Quote

To each his own, I guess.  I got a Spyderco with the clip attached on the end opposite the hinge (tip-up carry), and I never could get used to it.  Opening it felt awkward.  All of my Benchmades have the clip attached on the hinge end (tip-down carry), and it feels fully natural.  When I pull out the knife with my thumb and finger, my thumb is right there at the stud or hole, ready to pop the blade out, and the handle is right there in my palm.

I imagine we've both found ourselves saying, "Nice knife - if only the clip were on the other end."

I think the bottom line is that those of us who appreciate knives are fortunate that we have such an incredible variety of designs to chose from these days.

DrMark

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top