Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2002 1:00:14 PM EDT
I've got a 2yr. old Compaq Presario 1692. About 8 months ago, I had a catastrophic hard drive failure. It completely corrupted my operating system and all files. I was lucky and had bakups for all of my files except for the operating system. After much cussing, I found a copy of Microsoft Me!, and finally got it to work. I loaded all of my saved files and was doing fine until right after Christmas. It was then that I realized that the DVD/CD reader was not working.
It would begin to read the disk and then come up with a big blue error message stopping the whole computer. I called Compaq tech help and was politely told to pound sand as they do not support Me! on a computer this old.
If you can help me get my CD/DVD working, I will buy you $50.00 of the ammo of your choice through the internet retailer of your choice.
Please respond to this thread or e-mail me for futher information.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
do you have icq? msn messenger? aim?
or another intant messaging
i can troubleshoot better that way
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to [url]belarc.com[/url]and find out what kind of DVD you have.Then go to the makers sight and get the latest drivers.You can also go to control panel>system>device manager tab and click on the cd rom+ and see if its listed
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
also, you should be able to contact Compaq for a copy of their Quick Restore disks that can get you back tot he exact original configuration.
Unless you allready have the disk
in which case you can backup the files you need, do a quick restore and then reload your backed-up files
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
your me! install did not include all of the proper drivers for the compaq stuff onboard.  the cd-rom is probably (in my experience) not the only thing that is not working properly.
I'd say on a Compaq machine to go back and do the Quick Restore which will get you back to where it was originally
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
did you replace the hard drive?

maybe you have a boot sector virus.
View Quote

good call
although i assumed that catastrophic failure meant it was broke'did.
[BD]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
right click on my computer go to properties, go to device manager and open up the cdrom and uncheck the DMA box hit ok a couple times and reboot when it tells you too.  If it is not checked..  Check it hit ok a couple times and reboot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry colinjay, I've never used the IM feature and am lost. Please help.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm sorry colinjay, I've never used the IM feature and am lost. Please help.
View Quote

look on top of my posts for a little head facing right with a letter over his head, you can send IM this way
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
also up at the top of the page, you will see a button labeled IM that will flash red when you have a message waiting

email me at [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Colinjay,

Please email me with information for your free ammo. Your fix worked with the reinstall of the restore disk. Thanks a million.

Matt
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn!  I always miss the good posts.  Most Comercial PCs (HP, Dell, Compaq) have a restore CD that come with the system for just such an emergency.  The only downfall is you have to update everything you updated since you've had the machine.  BTW Windows ME is horrible if you have a small hard drive.  The system Restore utility will fill up you hardrive before you know it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had nothing but problems with Compaq and their so called tech support.  You will be amazed at how many problems disapeer just by taking off the Compaq sticker.  It's a kiss of death in the computer world.  Sell it and build your own with parts from ebay.  cheaper and more reliable.

Keving67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top