Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 8:15:16 AM EDT

KELLY NOT SET TO PULL TRIGGER ON BERNIE'S BIGGER GUNS
By MURRAY WEISS
January 11, 2002 -- Police Commissioner Ray Kelly is reviewing a decision by his predecessor to increase the firepower of cops in precincts around the city with weaponry that includes a powerful rifle capable of shooting bullets more than a mile, The Post has learned.
Former Commissioner Bernard Kerik's proposal, which was aimed at improving the NYPD's ability to deal with terrorism and major crimes, calls for six to eight cops in each of the city's 76 precincts to be armed with assault rifles and submachine guns.

The cops were slated to receive deadly accurate Ruger Mini-14 assault rifles, which fire rounds that travel up to a mile.

They also were to get MP5 submachine guns and 12-gauge shotguns.

A department spokesman said Kelly wanted to study a report upon which Kerik based his decision.

"These are weapons used in heavy-weapon situations," said a NYPD spokesman. "Commissioner Kelly wanted to review the report and the training for these officers who may use them."

Kerik's firepower initiative predated Sept. 11 and was developed as a result of a notorious 1997 shootout in California, in which two bank robbers were better armed than cops.

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#1]
"The cops were slated to receive deadly accurate Ruger Mini-14 assault rifles, which fire rounds that travel up to a mile."

OMFG! that is one of the most rediculous things I have ever read.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
"The cops were slated to receive deadly accurate Ruger Mini-14 assault rifles, which fire rounds that travel up to a mile."

OMFG! that is one of the most rediculous things I have ever read.
View Quote

As long as they [b]think[/b] they're well-armed.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
THE LIBERAL MEDIA IS SUCH A BUNCH OF RETARD'S!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn.  Just damn.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#6]
a powerful rifle capable of shooting bullets more than a mile
View Quote

How many rifles [b]aren't[/b] capable of shooting a bullet more than a mile?  Ol' Murray needs to read the warnings on a box of .22 LR.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Who is the as@hole in this problem the police brass or the media?
The police deserve better than this but is it just the media reporting as usual wrong again?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why didn't they buy sub-MOA shotguns to go along wth those "deadlly accurate Ruger Mini-14 assault rifles"?
View Quote

HaHa  I have a Rem 1300 with a slug barrel that will outshoot my Minimal 14 at 100 paces anyday!

What does "Deadly Accurate" mean anyway?

Is that like "Friendly fast" or
    "Stubbornly yellow" or even "dangerously correct"   ???????
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope the boys in blue get a little range time out side of the city where they can shoot 100 yards. Their is no excuse for not knowing the limitations of your weapon system.
For the city enviorment though the minni is usable as the ranges available in the city would be quite short. I cant see an officer shooting a bad guy at more than 75 yards there.
Granted this is not the best weapon nore would it be on my long list of possible weapons but it would work, about as well as a 30-30 lever gun.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#10]
.... deadly accurate Ruger Mini-14 assault rifles, which fire rounds that travel up to a mile.
View Quote

..as opposed to a not so deadly accurate rifle.  

Maybe a rifle that you couldn't hit the broad side of a brn with if you were standing inside, would be more approapriate.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm wondering why they didn't buy M16s?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I still think someone should inform them that w/the MP5's, they really have no use for a Mini-14.

-Justin
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#14]
WHY??? you ask! It is MONEY! and lots of it. who cares if it gets some leo killed it saves money and gives the apperance of force,,,pat
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Mini-14s are very popular with law enforcement, particularly prison bureaus.  Apparently the shitty accuracy of the rifle can be used to explain the shitty marksmenship of average cops and tower manners at the animal storage facilities.  Besides, it's cheap.  Cops are cheap.  Prison bureaus are cheap.  Legislatures are cheap.  City counsels are cheap.  Except here in Waynesboro, VA.  The cops drive Police Interceptors that are never more than 3 years old, carry Glock 22s that are rebuilt by some special gunsmith schmoe, and the patrol guns are Benelli M1 Tactical Entry guns with ghost-ring sights.  Cool toys.  They also have a $60,000 patrol car that has the latest in JBT lighting technology, high-tech cage, bigger engine, blah, blah, blah.  We also have a SWAT team for our crime-ridden metropolis of 19,000 that had (horrors!!!) 20 car-jackings last year and 2 murders in the last 6 years.  Of course, all that being said, I'm actually studying to be an LEO.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#16]
ROFL! Deadly accurate mini-14... haha.

Up to a mile they say?
I know a few different cals that can shoot at least a mile... haha
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet, I've been looking for something that was deadly accurate!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Where can I get one of these "deadlly accurate Ruger Mini-14 assault rifles"?  Are these LEO only?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#19]
according to this  my 10/22 with all factory parts is a deadly accurate precision rifle. rofl

[sniper]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Now who do I believe - This reported who says a mini-14 is an "assault rifle" or the Caliban who say it isn't...

Just you wait, Mini-14's are now going to become classified as assault rifles and they'll come after them, too (not defending the mini14 itself, it's the concept here).

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm wondering why they didn't buy M16s?
View Quote

beacause AR15/M16's are "evil"

and because mini 14's are "deadly accurate"
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

...The cops were slated to receive deadly accurate Ruger Mini-14 assault rifles...
View Quote

This is such a freaking lie, anyone who has seen the [b]A-Team[/b] knows better.. Mini-14's can't hit squat in the hands of "trained proffesionals"!  [;)]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Redmanfms, if you're so critical of your local police dept. who clearly is fleecing the public, why do you want to become one of them?  

The Mini may not be too good compared to the AR, but remember that guy Matix in the famous FBI shootout in Florida?  I think he made pretty good use of the Minimal 14.  I'd sooner have the lousiest .223 rifle in the world versus a handgun in an actual shootout.  Firepower is firepower.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

HaHa  I have a Rem 1300 with a slug barrel that will outshoot my Minimal 14 at 100 paces anyday!

What does "Deadly Accurate" mean anyway?

Is that like "Friendly fast" or
    "Stubbornly yellow" or even "dangerously correct"   ???????
View Quote

Never heard of a Remington "1300"!

DaMan
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Redmanfms, if you're so critical of your local police dept. who clearly is fleecing the public, why do you want to become one of them?  

View Quote

I didn't say that they were fleecing the public.  I said they had cool toys.  I also never said that I wanted to be "one of them."  I said I was studying to become an LEO, not a Waynesboro police officer.  I know most of the guys on the department, they are all stand up types.  They do a great job, are courteous, and don't hassle people.  

The city has given them a lot of money to play around with, so they use it.  I can't blame them for getting cool shit.  Waynesboro is a relatively cheap place to live (compared to my old home of Fairfax), but does have addtional food, tobacco, and sales taxes that give the city a ton of revenue.  For a little burgh of 19,000 we have a ton of city services, plenty of schools, an excellent police force, and zero utility problems.  Those aren't things that most small towns can claim to have.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I suspect a lot of the language, and misconception, in this article is the result of the thumb-sucking newspaper writer who wrote it.  But you still have to wonder, why would anyone who depends upon rifles in a professional situation pick the Ruger Mini-14?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Knowing we have several valuable NYPD members here (and one Mod.), I find this very disturbing for another reason.  It clearly demonstrates the modern tendency to have the "leaders" be dumbshit desk jockeys who know nothing except how to kiss the ass above to get the next promotion or political appointment.  The idea of "leading from the front" is dead and forgotten.  Today's "leaders" have never "been there" and don't know crap about real world demands for any job--even mine (life insurance agent).  It irritates the crap out of me to see these stupid f*cks making decisions that could get good men killed using inferior, ill-described junk like the Mini-14.  This same idiot will next be making a sound-byte about how the LEO's are "outgunned" while he reviews the "need" for a "deadly accurate Ruger Mini-14!"  Where are the leaders who say "[b]Follow me[/b]!!?"  [rolleyes]
View Quote

The leadership of almost every major police department in the nation has been like that for decades.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#30]
No,no,no...the Mini-14 which fires SOUNDS that travel up to a mile.

Hope that clears it up, (just joking)
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#31]
MY rem700 is Deadly accrate but the mini14 well
lets say i shot at a barn at close range and missed!
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't wait to get my hands on one of these "deadly accurate" Mini 14's!

Guess I'll throw away my AR15's because they're not accurate and my SA Surplus ammo must be no good because their's are good for up to a mile.

Fu@&in uninformed media...[stick]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#34]
They probably went with the Mini because it looks more "friendly." Most people get scared around anything with black plastic, though it defies logic.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Waverunner,
Good lord...don't you guys have at least shotguns??? Our Local Sheriff's have AR's and MP5's not to mention their assortment of "assault" shotguns...and we're in a medium size city in Florida..seems like NYC would have shtf situations MUCH greater than here. So, I guess NYPD stills carries the deadly .38 revolvers??? Dang...I guess you've been pc-ed to death in NYC.

just curious,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top