Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2002 5:55:32 AM EDT
I loaned my copy to a good friend who's read it and has a question:
In the book during the infamous Miami shootout the author has 2 of the agents doing a waitress so they were unavailable to assist. Is this a true account and if so does anyone have a source or a link to support it?
Thx!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#1]
In a word, no, no link.

I doubt seriously that such an incident occurred, but the two agents in question were not at the scene.  I don't know what the excuse actually was, but I'd be interested in finding out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Whether the story is true or not, somehow I doubt that the FBI would confirm it.  [B)]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#3]
From the Acknowlegements:

"This is a work of fiction with a story line based on political history and historic precedent.  The real-life events that comprise much of the book have been re-created to the best of my ability using as many sources as I could locate.  Court documents, news footage, recordings of phone conversations and police radio transmissions, medical records, coroner's reports, FBI re-enactment tapes, and sworn testimony of impartial eyewitnesses were all used."
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Just heard back from John Ross, here's what he said:

Me: During the infamous Miami shootout the book mentions 2 FBI agents who were unavailable to assist because they were "doing" a waitress in a restaurant. Is this what actually happened?

JR: Yes.

Me: and is there any source material I can reference about this?

JR: Not to my knowledge. Well-known amongst agents. They don't like to be questioned about it...

JR

If (and I emphasize *if*) such an incident took place I doubt we'd find any agents "in the know" willing to go public with it.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm, you know, for some reason I believe John Ross is telling us the truth on this one!

Eric The(WishfulThinking?No)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Last week I was looking at topics regarding "Unintended Consequences" and this topic came up in a previous thread.

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
It has been a bit since I read the book. But is this about the Plat and Madix Miami Shootout?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just heard back from John Ross, here's what he said:

Me: During the infamous Miami shootout the book mentions 2 FBI agents who were unavailable to assist because they were "doing" a waitress in a restaurant. Is this what actually happened?

JR: Yes.

Me: and is there any source material I can reference about this?

JR: Not to my knowledge. Well-known amongst agents. They don't like to be questioned about it...

JR

If (and I emphasize *if*) such an incident took place I doubt we'd find any agents "in the know" willing to go public with it.
Tomac
View Quote

How does one contact Mr. Ross? I'd like to thank him for writing UI...
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#9]
John Ross' email: [email protected]
Tomac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top