Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2002 10:08:00 PM EDT
About a year and a half ago, someone started a thread about having to euthanize their beloved pet. I thought back then that I should have the "balls" to do it myself with a bullet when my dog's time came. Boy, did I get straightened out in a hurry.

I had the old girl for almost fourteen years. She camped with me in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, and Texas. She ran with a stampede of 200 head of cattle in Montana. She chased wild horses in Nevada. She froze her doggie-ass off with me in Nevada too...and she defended our camp from a marauding raccoon in New Mexico one night (with a little help from my .22 Magnum Super Single-Six).

She would ride with me on the front seat of the pickup, and would sit next to me, leaning against me with her head resting on my shoulder, mile after mile. She was just too damned sweet to chase as many skunks as she did throughout her life, but I guess that just proves the theory of the Duality of Nature of Dog.

I guess everyone thinks their own dog is special, so I am like everyone else. I'll sure miss my ol' Didi.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Very sorry for your loss. I never was a 'dog person' myself until I had one of my very own.

For you and Ol'Didi:

Dogs Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet or intensely hot, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer use to bitter elements.  And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.  If you had no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I would not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.  Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you, rather, hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the mercy of eternal rest -- and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was safest in your loving hands.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I too have lost dogs to old age and cancer, five in all.  Was raised from four months to my age of 26 with a dog or dogs at my side.  I feel your pain my friend, but the prose written by HKgnnr makes me all the more proud to provide a home for the most loved of all animals.  I have my boxer, Tyson, at my feet right now and while fear the day of losing him, I will cherish the days we have.  You sound like the most loyal owner and the only comfort I can give is that you will be one again.  Every dog should have the home you gave to yours.  

chida66
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
We don't have kids, just dogs. Lost 1 to cancer and 2 to old age in 2000. I know what you're going through...
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Chida...I am happy to be able to say that I have one of Didi's pups. This one was born on my sleeping bag in the bad ol' days when I was really down and out, and I named her JJ. She's ten already, but has the constitution of an M-1 Abrams. Mixed breeds, but came out being basically half Rott and half Heeler and LOVES HER DADDY. I hope that if I am ever attacked I have my .41 handy to put the unfortunate attacker out of his misery---but only if I am in a charitable mood, which I seldom am after being set upon...awww, screw it, she can chew his leg off and play with it.
[X]

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry about your loss....pets become members of the family..I have two dogs myself...no children...unless you count my dogs..they are like children

medcop
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:25:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Dear Dogsdad,

I am sorry to hear of your loss.  We lost our two year old Aussie on December 14th.

I was lucky enough to find the parents again the next day and they had one pup left from current litter....the new pup is great and doing well.  We also get first pick of the next litter.

Yes, everyone proll'y thinks their dog is the best, I know my wife called Troop an angel sent to us by God.

She really believes that with all of her heart.

Sometimes I do too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I am very sorry about your loss. I lost my best buddy 21/2 years ago, and I still get a little teary eyed when I think of him to this day.
I was privaledged to  be his companion for 18 years, Taz was  an American Pit Bull terrier and the best damn friend I ever had.

Terry
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#8]
"The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end.  Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process."

-George Bird Evans
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for your loss...I pray that the Lord has a plan for us and the pets we loved and who loved us..I know He has a plan for our salvation..Jesus once said "If you being evil know how to give good things to your children...how much more so will your Heavenly Father give to you." My dog has been a great gift to me from God..she has saved at least two kids- one from being physically lost and another from being emotionally lost- cant imagine God not providing something for such a good dog...sounds like yours was much the same..Hope the Lord of us all gives you peace and strength..
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry dogsdad.
Your handle speaks volumes of your personality, humanity.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#13]
dogsdad....

You're my kind of guy. I can fully appreciate the memories you've recalled with your girl Didi. I can only imagine how much less fun life would have been without my Rottie "Buddha" with me for all of our adventures.

The loyalty and love expressed by a devoted and well cared for dog is rivaled by nothing in this world. What an empty place it would be without their companionship.

I could not imagine coming home without the daily greetings I get from my dog. Pets DO make people live longer. The only cure for your loss is another dog. Not a replacement, that's impossible, but a new "buddy" to grow up with you. There's always one out there that wants nothing more than a good, loving home, and will show its appreciation until its last breath.

Sweet dreams Didi.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your handle speaks volumes of your personality, humanity.
View Quote

Couldn't agree more, I am my dogs dad too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to hear about your dog & best bud.

Our dogs are our children...
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Real sorry to hear of your loss.  It hurts a lot.

We lost our golden retriever on Christmas Eve 1999.  That was the most painful thing that ever happened to me and the wife.  That funny old mutt was our best friend for fifteen years.  He was just another kid in our vagabond military family.  He traveled with us everwhere and played with us in the Kailua surf and the Fredericksburg snow.  His love was unconditional and constant.  We still miss him terribly.

Hope he's waiting for me and the missus.  I'll bring his tennis ball.

[0:)]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
BUM DEAL DUDE!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BUM DEAL DUDE!
View Quote

How touching.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds to me like she had one helluva good time living !!
Seems that you made sure her dying was as good and caring as a bad thing can get.

------------------------------------------------
Lost my Chow, Leroy at 14.5 year old.  Tumor.  He loved cheese and had a couple of big fine slices the day I had to put him down.
Had him cremated and his ashes sit on the shelves with the family pictures.

I sulked around for about three weeks and tried to get over it.  Went over to the local grammar school and beat-up a couple of small first graders.  Caught a couple of little old ladies trying to cross the street but they were quicker than I thought and got away.  Nothing helped.

What was right for me was heading down into South Oklahoma City just to 'visit' this litter of six week old Chows.

Both of them (yeah, yeah, both) slept in my lap on the ride home.

Leroy was and is still missed.  Always will be.

The six week old pups are now 2.5 yrs old - Leo and Sister.
They were the right thing for me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Dogsdad, my heart goes out you.

All faithfull dogs are special, be happy Didi had a full life and had a good owner to share it with.

All my condolences to you and your family.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I feel for ya. I don't know what I'd do if I lost Crickett(Choc-Lab) I'm a dog kinda guy, you can tell by my tag line.
Borg
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#25]
dogsdad,

We've shared pics of our "children" and I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  Even knowing that it was time or the right thing to do can't ease that pain.  I've gone through a lot of loss myself this year and I truly empathize with what you are going through.  Curl up with JJ and cry, man... "I don't know why they say grown men don't cry....."  After a while the ache lessens and you mist up less and smile more when you run across something that reminds you of them.

One of the nicest things my ex husband ever did was shoulder the responsibility of burying one of my dogs, Little Ann, when she was put down.  He put her in the ground in the back pasture and told me later that when he was finished he said a little prayer and told Little Ann when she got to Heaven to find Rocky (my childhood dog) and tell him that she was one of Sara's babies so she could find her family up there.  

Aw, shit, nevermind the "tearing up goes away" crap... I'm doing it right now... ::sheepish grin::

I am sorry for your loss.  Take care.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#26]
There seems to be nothing sadder than the loss of a child or a beloved pet. I lost two German Shepherds over a 10 year period. Their names were Gunner and Baron. Both were friends to me when many were not. They were constant companions, never ones to hold back any love or affection. Always ready play or romp in the woods. A friendly bark always met my key unlocking my door. Wiggles and kisses were sure to follow. When I came home from basic training no one was there to meet me. Baron couldnt hold out any longer he waited as long as he could endlessly standing by the front window waiting for the red truck he knew so well to come up the drive. That red truck never came so his little heart gave out and he passed on. When my Mom took him to the vet to have Baron cremated they returned my best friend in a nice little urn with a card that read as follows;   Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly breaking from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been
spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...
 When Im home I read that card everytime I walk by the shelf where Baron's ashes remain and I look back to all the years of fun and memories we had together.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Man, MikeOneSix, Thats beautiful, if I read that everytime I passed it, I'd break down. Just an old softie for my pets.
Borg
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Miss Magnum, I wondered if you were still around. It's been a year and a half since I hung out here at all. Thanks for your kind words.

Mike One Six, I've tried twice to read about Rainbow Bridge and can't get all the way through it dry-eyed. If you don't mind, I'd like to print those words for framing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top