Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2009 8:31:02 AM EDT
The Origionalist in me is angered to the core about the tax payer bailouts of the banking, Financial and now Auto industries.  I'm a firm believer in the free market and that the risk/reward aspect of capitalism is what made our country so great.

While I don't like the .gov getting involved in any private industry other than national defense and the postal service, an argument could be made that we cannot let our manufacturing base disappear.  Detroit currently turns out cars.  In the event we are over run by Chinese, Mexican and/or Canadians we may need to start turning out tanks, planes, bombs, bullets and rifles.  Without a manufacturing base we are seriously  giving up a big part of our national security.

Anyone agree or disagree?
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Disagree.

Let the chips fall where they may and a leaner, stronger company will come in and fill the vacuum.

Besides, auto plants are supposed to be virtually impossible to "convert" to tank building factories. Also there is already a manufacturing base that will turn out tanks, bullets, bombs and ships.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
These factories wouldn't disappear if we let the companies fail.

They would re-structure and sell off parts but most of the factories would still be producing.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]

I want the auto companies to fail.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
These factories wouldn't disappear if we let the companies fail.

They would re-structure and sell off parts but most of the factories would still be producing.

Just not in union states.

The market for cars isn't going away.   Just the market for cars made by companies that can't seem to make cars profitably.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Another thing, GM and Chrysler bled money when people were still buying cars. What should we do, just pay every UAW worker and company exec to sit at home until the 100's of thousands of cars sitting on lots sell or rust away. Thats the only solution other than letting them die/file Chapter 11.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Disagree.

Let the sick and diseased die.  It is better for the whole herd.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top