Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2009 8:16:37 AM EDT
Over the weekend I had a friend say they were truly wondering if I had a Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  Not knowing what that is, I made a note to look it up –– especially since they're currently pursuing their Master's in Psychology.

Here's what I found:

Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance, need for admiration, extreme self-involvement, and lack of empathy for others. Individuals with this disorder are usually arrogantly self-assured and confident. They expect to be noticed as superior. Many highly successful individuals might be considered narcissistic. However, this disorder is only diagnosed when these behaviors become persistent and very disabling or distressing.

Knowing now what that is, I'm confident I don't have it.  I'm confident in this because I don't have any of the symptoms, except for the "lack of empathy" and confidence.  I have no desire to be admired (beyond my family), or do I feel any "inflamed" sense of self-importance or especially a desire to be noticed as superior.

But I digress.  What brought this on was a discussion about my loathe for people.  I mentioned how, in large groups, there's a disturbingly noticeable drop in each person's ability to think for themselves.  In large groups, short of any known and established convictions, people are reluctant to express thoughts as they fear being ostracized by everyone else, or could - for the same fear - refuse to speak against what might really be a vocal minority who make a thought appear as the mainstream.

We also discussed how, when removing "a person" from "the people", they are often more competent and logical than when adapting the group mentality.  But even in this case, I'm routinely disappointed.  Perhaps my expectations are too high?  I'm not sure about that, because what I frequently find when dealing with individuals (not "people") is that they lack any ability to perform critical thinking on their own, and usually recite what they've heard elsewhere.  What I'm then left to deal with is not a person, but a body whose mind is filled - not with their own thoughts - but the thoughts planted there by others.  

One can discuss and debate with a person whose mind is capable of producing its own thoughts.  One cannot discuss and debate with people, or a person whose mind is not more than but a mere shell which contains the thoughts of people.

This naturally lead to discussion on how often I encounter the "person" with a "people's mind", which then lead my friend to ponder if it was more likely that I had an superiority complex or a narcissistic personality disorder, rather than that most people are as incompetent as I perceive them to be.

Maybe it's just the area I live in –– suburban Washington DC.  In other words, an area surrounding an area of known idiots.

Do you find that the majority of people in your area are incompetent?

_MaH
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
No, people really are worthless sacks of shit for the most part.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

<snip>

Maybe it's just the area I live in –– suburban Washington DC. ?[/span]

_MaH

I think I found your problem

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

_MaH

A long known problem of mine.  However, I don't want to get my hopes up that it's just a local thing, move somewhere, and find out that the only thing which changed was the population density.

I'm actually pretty sure that's what I'll find, but I'm checking anyway.  As I said, it will keep me from getting my hopes up.

_MaH
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

_MaH

This.

Same boat here...
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The average person isn't with the powder and shot to blow them to hell. I see it almost every day.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]
or are people *really* as worthless and stupid as I think? New TopicReplyForward

This.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Over the weekend I had a friend say they were truly wondering if I had a Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  Not knowing what that is, I made a note to look it up –– especially since they're currently pursuing their Master's in Psychology.

Here's what I found:

Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance, need for admiration, extreme self-involvement, and lack of empathy for others. Individuals with this disorder are usually arrogantly self-assured and confident. They expect to be noticed as superior. Many highly successful individuals might be considered narcissistic. However, this disorder is only diagnosed when these behaviors become persistent and very disabling or distressing.

Knowing now what that is, I'm confident I don't have it.  I'm confident in this because I don't have any of the symptoms, except for the "lack of empathy" and confidence.  I have no desire to be admired (beyond my family), or do I feel any "inflamed" sense of self-importance or especially a desire to be noticed as superior.

But I digress.  What brought this on was a discussion about my loathe for people.  I mentioned how, in large groups, there's a disturbingly noticeable drop in each person's ability to think for themselves.  In large groups, short of any known and established convictions, people are reluctant to express thoughts as they fear being ostracized by everyone else, or could - for the same fear - refuse to speak against what might really be a vocal minority who make a thought appear as the mainstream.

We also discussed how, when removing "a person" from "the people", they are often more competent and logical than when adapting the group mentality.  But even in this case, I'm routinely disappointed.  Perhaps my expectations are too high?  I'm not sure about that, because what I frequently find when dealing with individuals (not "people") is that they lack any ability to perform critical thinking on their own, and usually recite what they've heard elsewhere.  What I'm then left to deal with is not a person, but a body whose mind is filled - not with their own thoughts - but the thoughts planted there by others.  

One can discuss and debate with a person whose mind is capable of producing its own thoughts.  One cannot discuss and debate with people, or a person whose mind is not more than but a mere shell which contains the thoughts of people.

This naturally lead to discussion on how often I encounter the "person" with a "people's mind", which then lead my friend to ponder if it was more likely that I had an superiority complex or a narcissistic personality disorder, rather than that most people are as incompetent as I perceive them to be.

Maybe it's just the area I live in –– suburban Washington DC.  In other words, an area surrounding an area of known idiots.

_MaH

Government stooges.....

That being said, yes, people dissappoint on a regular basis....eEither through ignorance, feigned ignorance, laziness or all of the above. But there are a handful, who do the work and pave the way for the rest of the cattle.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]
A true narcissist would never even ponder the question of whther he was or wasn't a narcissist.

If you want to witness a true narcissist in action, just watch Obama.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#9]
No, it would make you Barry Obama or at least a LIBERAL DEMOCRAT if you exhibited those symptoms.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm gonna have to go with that there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#12]
A coworker and I were observing some of our employees at shift change.  He said....

"They're just one step above shitting themselves in the pants all day long."  I had to laugh.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Here's what I found:

_MaH

You could be but I don't think so judging from your logical explanation. My opinon may be a bit biased as I am in the same boat and have been called both. I just tell it like I see it, and 9/10 times just like it is.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Tell your friend to fuck off.  She (and, yes, it has to be a woman) doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#15]
The majority of people ARE worthless and stupid.  Just look at threads in GD.  I just left one where posters think they can sue a dog for monetary damages..
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I have some (perhaps misguided) faith left in humanity, but not a whole lot.

Most people are, indeed, pretty worthless.

-Mark
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tell your friend to fuck off.  She (and, yes, it has to be a woman) doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about.

Well, 50/50 isn't exactly high odds, but yes, you're right.  The referenced friend is a she.

_MaH
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The majority of people ARE worthless and stupid.  Just look at threads in GD.  I just left one where posters think they can sue a dog for monetary damages..

Not the majority, just the loudest and boldest.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#19]
repeat after me

"It is not that I am so awesome, it's just that you suck that much."
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

_MaH

Only the psych majors.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, if you have ever responded with "+1 or this" to anything I have ever posted...then you are smarter than most.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#22]
NO, I am the same way, People are as dumb and useless as you see them.

I see it everyday, I can find an absolute waste of society daily.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Why can't it be both?  
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I live by the %70/30 rule! %70 of the population are a bunch of complete idiots!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here's where a REAL problem arises.  How does one cope with this widespread incompetence?

Apparently I can't go to a psychologist...

_MaH
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

_MaH

At least one component of what mhoffman is noticing is the relative demographics of the people in this area, and I'm NOT referring to race, ethnicity, etc.  In the South Alexandria area, the number of people who are lawyers, lobbyists, or support staff for our illustrious representative democracy is very high relative to what would be considered the norm.  These people are overwhelmingly self-absorbed and completely oblivious to those around them.  This absolute lack of awareness of those around themselves can be observed in the way they drive (not just the selfishness and lack of awareness, but by being on the phone and/or texting constantly) and by the manner in which they comport themselves when dealing with others in stores, schools, and parking lots.  

I WANT OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#27]
By that definition most of arfcom are. Especially ammo/mag whores/panic buyers/hoarders when bragging of their stash and purchases.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I live by the %70/30 rule! %70 of the population are a bunch of complete idiots!

Wow.

_MaH
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes. You are the only intelligent and capable person in the entire world. In fact, time began when you were born and will end when you die.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Unfortunately a lot of people are that stupid and worthless.  I marvel at the lack of common sense every day.  It's pretty depressing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes. You are the only intelligent and capable person in the entire world. In fact, time began when you were born and will end when you die.

I knew it!

So, does that make you the matrix?

_MaH
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Finally!  Someone else who understands that!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
By that definition most of arfcom are. Especially ammo/mag whores/panic buyers/hoarders when bragging of their stash and purchases.

You are forgetting the chemtrail/shackles in traincars/FEMA mass grave guys.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Over the yrs I have learned that 95% of the people that think they are smarter than those around them or those who feel they can do a better job are usually morons.

I would suggest that if you look around at work and other places and feel like the majority of people around you are incompetent... That maybe it is you that is lacking and that lacking of whatever has put you in a position to be around those people.

No one working at Burger King for example looks around and says "Damn these are some damned brilliant people."

In my own personal life I try very hard to hire people much much smarter than I am. I treat them like the gold that they are and they all know that I have a deep level of respect for them.  I have for the most part a very high level of respect for the vast majority of the folks that I work with.

So my advice to you is this. If you look around and see only morons... It is in many ways your fault that you have not been able to hitch on to a group of rising stars so to speak.

Kinda like the guy that says man EVERY woman I date is a whore or cheats on me or is this or that. Instead of blaming the women he needs to blame himself for his choices.

If you work with a bunch of morons or incompetents. It is highly unlikely that you are the only one with his or her shit together.  Dumb people tend to gravitate towards dumb jobs and have dumb people around them....

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's where a REAL problem arises.  How does one cope with this widespread incompetence?

Apparently I can't go to a psychologist...

_MaH

Sure you can.  You just can't go to an amateur one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you look around and see only morons... It is in many ways your fault that you have not been able to hitch on to a group of rising stars so to speak.

I do see a metric ton of them.

But my boss prefers that I call them "clients" or "customers".

This job would be awesome if it wasn't for all the damn "customers".

_MaH
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
repeat after me

"It is not that I am so awesome, it's just that you suck that much."

This

I find people around ME narcissistic assholes.  They want their shit free, they want it NOW, they don't give a fuck about anybody else as long as they get what THEY want, and they're always right.

Get in their way on the highway, get the finger.  They cut in line at the store and you point it out, get the finger.  Try to get somebody to wait on you while they're picking their nose, get the finger.

Society has turned into every fucktard thinking the fucking world revolves around them, and you're just getting in the way.  Hell, the last GOOD friend I made was 15 years ago.....the rest all have some kind of "angle", and if you can't do something for them, they don't even know you if YOUR SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#39]
"They're just one step above shitting themselves in the pants all day long."

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to have to steal this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I mentioned how, in large groups, there's a disturbingly noticeable drop in each person's ability to think for themselves

This thread is hilarious because 80% of the people posting here are that person.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

Only the psych majors.

THat's what's so wonderful about soft sciences, lots of wiggle room. For the most part I've found a lot of Psych majors (undergrad and Master's particularly) narcissistic, controlling and condescending. Something about the area of study that just draws in all the freaks that can't maintain any type of control over their regular lives so I guess they derive some pleasure in having control in or "influencing" others lives. Referring to the kind that exercises more of an active participant thing than the nuetral observer. Seems the profession is infested with 60's era hippies too. Now psychiatrists I hold a good bit more respect for (higher regiment of study and higher degree of professionalism).

P.S. no insult meant to those who actually practice in a professional and 'unbiased' manner.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are forgetting the chemtrail/shackles in traincars/FEMA mass grave guys.

Nobody ever mentioned chemtrails
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

_MaH

Nope.

Call it the car-wreck effect.  When you drive somewhere and you see a wreck, the thing you remember is the car-wreck.  You don't remember the hundreds or thousands of other cars that were driving just fine.  Same thing with idiots.  Everyone, except people here on ARFCOM, does stupid things from time to time.  When you're out in public all you remember is the stupid antics you see because the other 99% who are normal are too boring to remember.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

Only the psych majors.

THat's what's so wonderful about soft sciences, lots of wiggle room. For the most part I've found a lot of Psych majors (undergrad and Master's particularly) narcissistic, controlling and condescending. Something about the area of study that just draws in all the freaks that can't maintain any type of control over their regular lives so I guess they derive some pleasure in having control in or "influencing" others lives. Referring to the kind that exercises more of an active participant thing than the nuetral observer. Seems the profession is infested with 60's era hippies too. Now psychiatrists I hold a good bit more respect for (higher regiment of study and higher degree of professionalism).

P.S. no insult meant to those who actually practice in a professional and 'unbiased' manner.

None taken, because you are right on.  I retired from the field in 2006.  I had some real winners as students/co-workers

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

Only the psych majors.

This has been my experience as well. The ones still in school seem to diagnose everybody with whatever they happen to be learning about at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I mentioned how, in large groups, there's a disturbingly noticeable drop in each person's ability to think for themselves

This thread is hilarious because 80% of the people posting are that person.

Pareto Principle at work. Also Group Think is a wonderful thing. Being conditioned to accept the authority of your betters is the future...
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

Only the psych majors.

This has been my experience as well. The ones still in school seem to diagnose everybody with whatever they happen to be learning about at the moment.

Yeah. Surpirisingly everyone has a problem but them.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you look around and see only morons... It is in many ways your fault that you have not been able to hitch on to a group of rising stars so to speak.

I do see a metric ton of them.

But my boss prefers that I call them "clients" or "customers".

This job would be awesome if it wasn't for all the damn "customers".

_MaH

Some customers are worthy.

They usually burst in through the window wielding nunchucks.  

As a question, not a jab- how old are you?  In earth years?

The good news is the older you get (most people, at least) the more you tend to forgive others for their innate stupidity and foolishness.  Like a stone worn smooth by time, you get used to it.  You expect stupidity, and when you don't discover it you cherish the moments.

Your basic problem is one of perspective.  Celebrate the competent ones.

Oh, and best be on your toes in case a customer comes in through the window.  Stay sharp!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#49]
"WE HAVE ONE THAT CAN SEE!" LOL!! Joking aside your observations are right on target. I have been noticing the same thing lately and it seems to be increasing!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Wait until next week when her  Abnormal Psych class gets into serial and spree killers.   You'll never get a date again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top