Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2009 5:17:07 AM EDT
New location just opened a week ago in the town over so i decided to check it out.  What a fucking waste of gas!!!!  
Price list as follows:

PS90   2200
Springer Loaded  1300
Various XD's  6-700
GSG5   600 +
RIA 1911 Basic ass one  High500's
Taurus 1911  900 i believe
Used Kimber Gold.... 1895. HAHAHAHA

Now the part that really pisses me off!  AMMO!!!!  TONS OF IT!  Talked with a sales person and they had a shitload more in back...
fmj's––––-
9mm...  16-20 for 50
45.... FUCKING 60 Dollars for 100 round packs
223.... 750 for a case!!!!  

It looked like not one box of ammo had been purchased.

USGI AR, Mags... 30
GSG5 MAGS 40
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:19:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The Gander closest to me (35 miles) has the most perfectly full and stocked ammo shelves I've ever seen. With the prices they charge, they never have to worry about paying someone to restock them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I havent been in a few years, but used to make the trek up to the one in chambersburg PA after hunting season, they would discount the ammo, and do a buy one get one free deal. I would buy tons of black hills .223 pretty cheap. Eh, if it aint moving, they will lower the price untill it does.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#3]
All 3 Gander Mtn's in my area are outrageous especially with ammo. I saw Black Hills 223 55GR for about $43.00/box of 50, and that was Blue Box reman.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems like these assholes are the true ammo horders!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Sentimental attachment.  I feel the same way about my guns and ammo.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Preach it brother.  Preach it.  If I knew someone with the startup Capitol I would open up a "Tactical" store for all your arfcom needs.  You don't know how bad I wish I could just walk into a store and pick up something simple like a castle nut, buffer spring, bolt catch, etc.

it just doesn't exist becuase there aren't enough armchair commandos walking the earth.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Most new guns in Gander Mtn. are more than $100 overpriced, and their ammo prices are obscene.  They have a similarly priced black reticle PS90 at my local Gander but it would cost $2,375.99 after tax.

However, occasionally there are great deals on used guns.  I grabbed a S&W M1006 for $375 out the door.  I also grabbed a "used" (never-fired) P99AS 9mm for $550.  And a barely used Beretta 96 Vertec for $450.  And a used GLOCK 32 for $350.

However, a good deal on used guns seems to be a thing of the past, as I think they recently raised used gun prices by $100 across the board.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
as said before, Gander  Mountain is higher than giraffe pussy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#9]
The prices are high and the service at the one here in Huntsville, AL is HORRIBLE. I stood at the cash register with a couple hundred dollars of ammo for over 10 minutes before someone working actually came over to ring me up. They actually walked past me a few times and didn't even acknowledge me. It has taken everything short of launching a flare gun to get someone to assist me there the 2 times I tried to look at a firearm.

I doubt i'll ever buy anything from them again.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#10]
It's the same here, they're the only place around with ammo and they'll always have it at those prices.

ETA: Damn it TheBigRuss I'm going to have to change my avatar now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I was told they price match ammo.  Never tried it, but thats what somebody told me and you need a receipt from another store to do it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#12]
The damn cash register guy said he couldn't even afford to shop there, and he gets a discount!  They opened the week before i went and he said they had well over 6000 people come threw the doors but less than a 1000 hit the registers.  Seems like an epic fail to me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I won't buy it there. Too high.

fred
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was told they price match ammo.  Never tried it, but thats what somebody told me and you need a receipt from another store to do it.

If it's the exact same ammo and bought on the same day.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Wait, are you telling me that Mosen M44's DON'T cost $199 each????
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#16]
If you buy something there they will have sex with your wallet, and they dont use protection. We had a customer see a 450.00 bersa .380 thunder back at Christmas.

Edit: I hope they go out of business. They make their money off of they uninformed consumer. A lot of folks think it is a big-box store, there fore they have the best prices. Many consumers dont bother to check small businesses. Ergo, the Gander price is a good price. This is much the same way that people think that because Walmart is out of ammo the whole world must be too. The only ammo my store cant get is .380 and 45 Colt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's the exact same ammo and bought on the same day.

well in that case if walmart has 1 box in stock i will buy it and get the rest at gander.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:02:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Shit, i didn't even buy anything and my ass hurt when i left the store!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shit, i didn't even buy anything and my ass hurt when i left the store!

Think about the people that actually buy a big ticket gun there, they can probley use .50 BMG suppositories.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It's the same here, they're the only place around with ammo and they'll always have it at those prices.

ETA: Damn it TheBigRuss I'm going to have to change my avatar now.

At least you didn't right-click, save-as on mine, like someone else did a few months ago...

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#21]
their employees are friggin maroons and their corporate policies suck ass.

feel free to not go there, like many others have.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you buy something there they will have sex with your wallet, and they dont use protection. We had a customer see a 450.00 bersa .380 thunder back at Christmas.

Edit: I hope they go out of business. They make their money off of they uninformed consumer. A lot of folks think it is a big-box store, there fore they have the best prices. Many consumers dont bother to check small businesses. Ergo, the Gander price is a good price. This is much the same way that people think that because Walmart is out of ammo the whole world must be too. The only ammo my store cant get is .380 and 45 Colt.

Thats the funny part about the Gander Mountain in town. It's a mile from the biggest gun store in our area. I thought that having two stores side by side would help increase some competitive pricing as the local gun store can be a bit high on certain items. Well Gander mountain blew most of their prices out of the water by at least $100 dollars higher even on their opening weekend.

Edit: It's like Wal-mart sized inventory with Cheaper Than Dirt pricing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#23]
WTF, my buddy told me that when we went, it was their grand openning sale!?!?!?!  How in the hell do those bastards pay the electric bill every month?!?!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#25]
The Gander in my city just got rid of all of their reloading supplies.  With prices of 50-60 dollars for a 250 pack of .22 cal Ballistic Tips, it is easy to see why.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#26]
They have always been high priced. I only buy something there if I don't want to pay for shipping.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#27]
When the SHTF and you need ammo, at least Gander will still have it!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I will agree that Gander Mountain's prices are high, especially for guns and ammo.  HOWEVER, it's nice to have a store that carries a relatively wide range of doo-dads when you absolutely, positively gotta have a doo-dad right now.  Case in point:  Every time we have an Appleseed shoot at our range, several new foilks show up with no slings and/or no sling-swivels on their guns.  They can usually bum a spare sling from someone, but if there are no swivels on your gun, it's not much use.

By the time the time we wrap up Saturday evening, Gander is the only place still open where this folks can swing by and get themselves better equipped for the following day's shooting.  (Appleseeds are two day events.)

And at least with our local store, they have been more generous than most area gun dealers in supporting our local Friends of NRA events.  We host an NRA Youth Day Camp program every year, and last year they donated a couple hundred $10 off cards so every attendee received one.  They also gave us three $50 gift cards to distribute (via drawing) among the volunteers, and let us sit in their store whenever we want to sell tickets for various drawings and raffles for the FNRA.

For that reason, I continue to shop there (but I don't buy guns there, unless I spot a really good deal!)

It's just capitalism at work, guys.  If their stuff is too expensive, don't buy it.  But if you really need it, and no one else has it, most of us will fork over the extra dollars.  I'd rather they be here and give me a choice of spending the extra money, vs. not be here, and I have no choice but to mail-order what I need, even if I need it NOW.

––Gene
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I Stopped shopping there when I tried to order scope covers for my vxl. The guy told me they were 80 bucks in the catalog but my price would be 160! Thats a hell of a markup for something they wont even have to see.

Gander Mtn = WAY TO EXPENSIVE
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They will price match everything, including firearms.  I've done it before on an XD a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thats the funny part about the Gander Mountain in town. It's a mile from the biggest gun store in our area. I thought that having two stores side by side would help increase some competitive pricing as the local gun store can be a bit high on certain items. Well Gander mountain blew most of their prices out of the water by at least $100 dollars higher even on their opening weekend.

Edit: It's like Wal-mart sized inventory with Cheaper Than Dirt pricing.

Man Larrys won't be beat by  Gander.  Larry's might be a bit high on some stuff, but if its got a green tag, you can play "lets make a deal"...

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#34]
LMFAO

and now you know why I dont go there.....
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#35]
The one around here is fairly high priced for ammo, but they occasionally have decent prices on guns.  I have bought quite a bit f stuff from them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The one around here is fairly high priced for ammo, but they occasionally have decent prices on guns. I have bought quite a bit f stuff from them.

They've got surplus P1's for $299. I would think thats a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#37]
I was at the local GM just before Christmas.
300 Weatherby Magnum.
One box in stock.
$119.00
20 rounds.
20 rounds.
Twenty f'in rounds. (Insert scrunched up face here.)

I'm just sayin'.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#38]
It must be a North Jackson thing, but the Gander here has been half assed sold of out the common stuff or has had very little to sell since November.

I don't understand it. I mean shit you could drive 2 minutes and get basically the same crap at Wal-Mart cheaper. There will always be somebody who needs to say they spent their money at Gander
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top