Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2009 6:25:47 PM EDT
I’m not trying to start shit, I just never really understood the advantages of open carry over concealed carry.  The only ones I can really think of would be a faster draw and you wouldn’t have to dress according to what you were carrying (at least not as much as a CCW), but I can also think of numerous disadvantages that concealed carry doesn’t have.

Let me just state again, I’m not trying to start a debate, I’m just curious why people open carry when they can conceal carry.  What are the advantages?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
faster draw and you wouldn’t have to dress according to what you were carrying

This and if rights aren't exercised they are lost
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm messing around on my private property, or hiking where OC is legal, I prefer it since its a quicker draw(for me anyways). Also allows me to carry a larger frame gun
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Care to enumerate those disadvantages you speak of?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
To piss off liberals!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m not trying to start shit, I just never really understood the advantages of open carry over concealed carry.  The only ones I can really think of would be a faster draw and you wouldn’t have to dress according to what you were carrying (at least not as much as a CCW), but I can also think of numerous disadvantages that concealed carry doesn’t have.

Let me just state again, I’m not trying to start a debate, I’m just curious why people open carry when they can conceal carry.  What are the advantages?

Well then, end of thread.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Awww shit here we go again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Let people see that the good guys carry guns too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Like SGocka said, it can be used a political statement.  Just to show that you can and to support the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To piss off liberals!!

hahaha!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
um because than i can carry in a speedo
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Comfort.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
um because than i can carry in a speedo

Good picture opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To piss off liberals!!

hahaha!

To exercise rights.  

Its nice being in a state where OC is legal with your CCW, that way you don't need to conceal it extremely well.  If someone sees it, no big deal.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
If the open carrier presents him/herself in a professional manner it can only help our cause...I am often asked why I am carrying, or what I'm carrying (and why), and everyone has been satisfied with the answers I've given.

I always have a good haircut and am clean shaven/well dressed when open carrying...

From a practical standpoint, you should always have good situational awareness...but I am more alert and very conscious of those standing near/behind me when I am open carrying.

On the other hand, if someone were to ask out random girls while open carrying, why...that would be a terrible shame.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Still better than Illinois' "no carry"

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
because concealed carry sucks during Houston summers.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Education.

Deterrence.

Makes liberals wet themselves.

Desensitizes the sheeple to OC.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#18]
adds 6+" to size of cock?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#19]
A right unexercised is a right lost.
To piss off liberals.
More comfortable.
Deters crime (personal experience. When a group of thugs approaching me saw my firearm they lost interest and went in another direction away from me. This was 11:30pm in an empty mall parking lot.
Too young to get a CHP (21) but old enough to OC (18) in some states.
Allows comfortable carry of a larger firearm.
Gets people to become used to the thought of ordinary citizens having firearms, not just cops and bad guys like hollywood portrays.
Because I can.

any questions?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A right unexercised is a right lost.
To piss off liberals.
More comfortable.
Deters crime (personal experience. When a group of thugs approaching me saw my firearm they lost interest and went in another direction away from me. This was 11:30pm in an empty mall parking lot.
Too young to get a CHP (21) but old enough to OC (18) in some states.
Allows comfortable carry of a larger firearm.
Gets people to become used to the thought of ordinary citizens having firearms, not just cops and bad guys like hollywood portrays.
Because I can.

any questions?

this and because i could carry in a speedo
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If my state allowed it I would.

I "open carry" all day at work and "CCW" all day when I'm not.    Given my choice I'd open carry.   Faster and easier.

Plus I think more people would give you a bigger "buffer zone"

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Open carry is good for the same reason that marked police cars are good:  the bad guys see it and decide to go some place else.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#23]
This...
Quoted:
To piss off liberals!!

and this...
Quoted:
because concealed carry sucks during Houston summers.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Open carry is good for the same reason that marked police cars are good:  the bad guys see it and decide to go some place else.

Or they decide that two of them can jump you from behind and take your gun.

Something to think about!

If it is not seen, that problem won't exist.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I prefer CCW when in company but I OC when I'm away from civilization, or if I'm in my home/property/etc.

It's just easier to go through life CCW.   I see all your "use it or lose it" points, but this is how I live.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I prefer CCW when in company but I OC when I'm away from civilization, or if I'm in my home/property/etc.

It's just easier to go through life CCW.   I see all your "use it or lose it" points, but this is how I live.  

It's easier if they take us apart one by one and make us feel as if we have to hide in shame.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Stop thinking that the concept of OC always includes crowded areas in cities. There are a sizable number of us who live in the country and want to OC because it's more comfortable. And stylish.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]
In on one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#30]
political statement and i count that as a positive
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Where I live in AZ during the summer I just don't want to wear any more clothes than necessary - but even that isn't the reason.
I find nothing wrong with open carry as do many people here in this state.
It's quick - it's easy - I'm protected - I don't care if anyone can see my firearm, I'm good to go.
I also enjoy CCW when I so choose....
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Bigger gun, and deterrent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Where I live in AZ during the summer I just don't want to wear any more clothes than necessary - but even that isn't the reason.
I find nothing wrong with open carry as do many people here in this state.
It's quick - it's easy - I'm protected - I don't care if anyone can see my firearm, I'm good to go.
I also enjoy CCW when I so choose....

What he said
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because in a libtard state like the one I live in, it is the only way in which one can exercise his right to bear arms. Although the governor's body guards can carry concealed, my life and that of my families is deemed less valuable than his.

I cannot wait until the next election to rally and organize in my state like never before against Governor Doyle. I am so tired of having lock even my .22 rifle in the trunk. It is just ridiculous.

Although carrying open here in many cases will result in a hell of a lot of hassle because someone will call in with the "there is a guy with a gun" bit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop thinking that the concept of OC always includes crowded areas in cities. There are a sizable number of us who live in the country and want to OC because it's more comfortable. And stylish.

You're right.  Living in the 4th largest city in the United States has that effect on me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
faster draw and you wouldn’t have to dress according to what you were carrying

That's why I OC.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for giving us Sarah Brady's point of view on open carry.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Care to enumerate those disadvantages you speak of?

Inviting the Man into your life.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I gotta get in on one ...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easier if they take us apart one by one and make us feel as if we have to hide in shame.

It's not about shame, really.  It's about not having to get into debates with everyone who has an axe to grind about the subject.    

I also consider my CCW a life insurance policy rather than a deterrent.    

Now, out in the country, yeah.  It's more comfortable and more sensible to OC.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#41]
because some of us don't feel we should have to PAY for our right to carry , thus , either we can break the law and carry concealed anyhow , or we can open carry and enjoy watching liberals wet themselves.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's about as valid an argument as when states passed CCW laws and the media bangs the "blood in the streets" and "wild west" drum.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Also consider the benefit to those who primarily CC - if, for some reason, you end up needing to remove your cover garment, you are still in the clear if OC is legal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Exercise my RIGHTS.....Nothing much more for me...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Another vote for hellacious Houston summers.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#46]
How about if you accidentally print or expose your weapon while CCWing and some brain dead soccer mom call the police on you?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because in a libtard state like the one I live in, it is the only way in which one can exercise his right to bear arms. Although the governor's body guards can carry concealed, my life and that of my families is deemed less valuable than his.

I cannot wait until the next election to rally and organize in my state like never before against Governor Doyle. I am so tired of having lock even my .22 rifle in the trunk. It is just ridiculous.

Although carrying open here in many cases will result in a hell of a lot of hassle because someone will call in with the "there is a guy with a gun" bit.

Do you OC in wisconsin ?  Ive heard while legal its a bad practice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When I pump gas in some parts of Nashville, I OC.

I want every muthafucka there to know I'm strapped. Keeps me from getting hassled for 'spare change' and other crap.

I usually CC, to keep the sheep from getting scared. In those other cases I don't give a crap who sees it. That's the point.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I like to open carry because I can. A gun is nothing to be ashamed of. There is no reason not to open carry.
If you treat people right, and are polite. then it can only help our cause. If you are going to be an asshole, then certainly do not OC.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top