Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 1:39:12 PM EDT
I have started shaving my head, and i am currently using the fusion 5 blade. It does not handle the curved surfaces of the head very well.  

Are there any razors better designed for shaving the head?  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.headblade.com/

ETA: I don't use it, I just use clippers w/o an attachment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]

I shaved mine for a while back in the fall.  Headblade is awesome but I gave it up because it's too much work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Me too(clippers).

The other option is a waterproof electric razor and do it in the shower.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I shaved mine for a while back in the fall.  Headblade is awesome but I gave it up because it's too much work.

I use a mach 3.  I heard that the headblade can cut you up pretty bad if it isn't used just right.

http://www.headshaver.org has some good info.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
i have used the clippers with no guard but i prefer the clean shaven feel.  Thanks for the links
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
bayonet?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I use clippers without the guard, but then I prefer a bit of stubble.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Clippers followed by a Mach3.

Ideally done in the shower, much easier IME. (Obviously the blade part, not the clippers).

Head blade works, but is kind of odd to use. I used it twice and went back to the Mach3.

The head blade brand shaving cream works really well. Head Slick.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Same here, I just use clippers, but I heard the headblade is great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a regular 2 blade disposable, whatever's on sale.  Took me about a month (shaving every other day) to learn how to do it right, with out bleeding.  I use the disposable, so I can afford to use a new blade every 2 shaves.  Oh, and I shave my face at the same time, all while in the shower.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The headblade will cut you pretty bad if you're not careful. Took a chunk out of my ear.

I started using the Walmart generic 3 blade razors. They come in a green pack similar to the schick but are a lot cheaper. With a disposable razor you can shave against the grain for a real smooth cut, try that with a headblade and you'll bleed. I can get several shaves out of each razor and the triple blade seemed to work really well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the Schick Xtreme 3 disposable.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The headblade will cut you pretty bad if you're not careful. Took a chunk out of my ear.

I started using the Walmart generic 3 blade razors. They come in a green pack similar to the schick but are a lot cheaper. With a disposable razor you can shave against the grain for a real smooth cut, try that with a headblade and you'll bleed. I can get several shaves out of each razor and the triple blade seemed to work really well.

Why were you shaving your ear?  And I shaved against the grain with the Headblade just fine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
head blade
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I started out with the Gilette 5-blade, then tried the headblade. It's neat, but as mentioned before, it will slice the hell out of your head if you aren't careful (i.e. replace blades every week or less). I went back to the Gilette 5-blade, once you learn how to do it a good shave only takes 5-8 minutes.
Also, +1 for the Headslick, it's hands down the best shaving cream I've used (as the bottle says, use it anywhere you shave) I quit using the fancy gel in a can to shave my face and now I can do my whole head with 1 squirt from the Headslick pump bottle. If you really want a good close shave, make sure you shave, wash down in the shower, then shave any rough spots with just water when you get out- nary a hair left standing, if done correctly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Mach 4
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Mach 4 but use Nivea for cream.. Been shaving the melon for 9 years...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Gillette Fusion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I use the Fusion with head slick shave cream.
Head slick makes a big difference when used after a hot shower.

I could never master the headblade shaver
I shave my head every other day.

Monk

ETA.. +1 for http://www.headshaver.org/ for more info.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have started shaving my head, and i am currently using the fusion 5 blade. It does not handle the curved surfaces of the head very well.  

Are there any razors better designed for shaving the head?  Any recommendations?

i've been using the mach 3 for a few years.  i shave with the grain first, then against the grain to get as close as possible.

does a pretty good job and haven't found anything better yet.  i tried those 5 bladers on my head but they get clogged too easy and i think 5 blades are overkill.

ETA: you could always try this one.  seems like it could work

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Same here.  Both my face and my head love it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Chainsaw.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Gillette Fusion.

This.  I've tried 3 razors and this one is by FAR the best.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#24]
The headblade is okay but I mostly use the Mach 3 because of the wider spaces between the blades compared to others.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

tried that.  it cut me up

ETA:  The 5 blade clogs up after 1 pass and is a pain to get unclogged.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess i could break out the old mach 3 and give it a try.  

Those that use the shaving cream,  Do you use it in the shower, or after?

I tend to shave in the shower so i was thinking about their "exfoliating" cream for before the shower.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#27]
male pattern baldness.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I tend to shave in the shower so i was thinking about their "exfoliating" cream for before the shower.  Any thoughts?

hmmm.....you getting razor burn? if you are try shaving after you shower.  don't know anything about exfoliating cream though.

i usually just wet my head then cover it in shaving gel and shave before i take a shower.

but i've been shaving it for over 5 years so my scalp has gotten pretty tough and razor burn isn't an issue anymore.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Fire.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Decked my own dome for about 8 years now, and whatever you do, DO NOT let wife or GF do it for you because they think it'd be sexy or a nice thing to do for you, like a good foot rub. Looked like a fucking diesel-powered cheese grater made a few passes on my head, and you know how head wounds bleed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmm.....you getting razor burn? if you are try shaving after you shower.  don't know anything about exfoliating cream though.

i usually just wet my head then cover it in shaving gel and shave before i take a shower.

but i've been shaving it for over 5 years so my scalp has gotten pretty tough and razor burn isn't an issue anymore.

Razor burn is mild.  I just hate the fusion for the job.   I also shave against the grain and i still look like i have stubble.  Just looking for "a better way"
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Head Blade with Head Slick.

Smooth as glass...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you order the head blade stuff online or pick it up locally?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I used the old vibrating mach 3 when I shaved mine. I got razor burn at first too but after a months worth of shaving it wasn't an issue any more.

To get super smooth I kind of had to "learn" the grain of my head; for the front/top I shave at an upward angle from the front towards the back, for the back I shaved straight up from the base of my neck. Once you think you are done rinse the shaving creme off, run your hand over your head in various directions and shave off whatever stubble is left.

As someone else said, 5 bladed razors suck as they clog way too fast.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I just use a dual blade Sensor Excel with the Head slick shave cream, I get it at Walgreen's but I believe Walmart sells it too.I shave my head every other day in the shower.

I used to use the Fusion but it doesn't make sense to spend the money on the blade's. I don't have the balls yet to use the DE razor on my head.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Do you order the head blade stuff online or pick it up locally?

you should be able to find them at CVS, walmart or riteaid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Mach 3. Been shaving my head since 2000.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a mach 3.  I heard that the headblade can cut you up pretty bad if it isn't used just right.

http://www.headshaver.org has some good info.

yeah, i tried it for the first time about two weeks ago. i cant go from front to back without tearing the shit out of my scalp. they do make good shaving cream and after shave, but i dont recommend the actual headblade razor.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I use my fusion power and believe it or not it works better for me than the headblade ever did...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top