Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2009 1:28:33 PM EDT

The tips & tricks in this thread...

...helped out our two entries this year. This is the first time my GF, her 9 year-old son Dustin and I have done 100% of the work on his pinewood derby cars.

In the past, they would go to the Cub Scout get-togethers and let have someone else cut out the areas for the weights and the basic shapes of their cars. This year, we used my tools.

Dustin was overzealous with his first block-o-wood, (never leave a kid alone with a dremel tool) so I claimed what was left of it and turned it into the truck. It was entered it in the "all comers" class.

We polished all the axles with 400 grit wet sandpaper and put as much weight as possible in the rear of both vehicles. Just a rough guess, but the yellow car has about 60% of it's weights added behind the rear axle and truck has 90% of it's weights behind it's rear axle.

Dustin's car took 2nd place in his den and won a ribbon for that. He won 2nd place overall in his whole pack and won a trophy for that. He also won "Judges Choice." (Best of Show) His car was impounded and will compete again in a larger event next month.

My truck trampled the competition...consisting of vehicles made by some very young girls and one vintage derby car. (the red vintage single seat car in the group pic) The truck is very fast, even though the front end had the shakes on the straightaway.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone that participated in the thread above. The info paid off for us!

Our derby car & truck.

The bottom of the truck. That's a piece of 1/4" steel glued in the very back.

All the vehicles.

From right to left: 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Happy winners!

One of Dustin's wins:

One of my wins:

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
< (rootbeer)
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]

I miss those days with my son.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Man its been sooo long since I did that. No kids yet so soooo many more years until I can do it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top