Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 9:38:57 AM EDT

Or just over and around the border.  I think its Border Patrol but the N-number just lists the gov.

It’s the Partenavia P.68 Observer.  Built in Italy, it seems to be a small twin with nonretractable gear and conventional cockpit aimed at some market. A few were produced with turboprops. With German colaberation, the Observer was made for “ an observation aircraft for law enforcement.”

According to Wiki, about 20 or so were built or modified with the ‘glazed’ nose.  I think it’s unusual find one in the employ of the US.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm we get choppers looking for pot in the late summer
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you see any Feds nearby digging mass graves and setting up fences for detention camps???
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#3]
That looks pretty cool. It looks like it could be a good skydive plane too. If I did that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#4]
State of Texas has one. Mostly used by Parks and Widllife. Nice flying A/C. Not as good as a helicopter for counts but not too bad either. But lose a engine while going slow and she will flip out like a bitch. WJ
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it has Customs and Border Protection colors and the CBP symbol on the side ...  they do have a few planes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Awww, it's cute!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
State of Texas has one. Mostly used by Parks and Widllife. Nice flying A/C. Not as good as a helicopter for counts but not too bad either. But lose a engine while going slow and she will flip out like a bitch. WJ

I saw this one yesterday circling above the Pecos River bridge on Hwy 90.  These pics are cropped from being shot at about quarter mile so the resolution isn't too good and can't make out the emblem on the side.

I have seen a video of some American pilot that used one for show stunts.  On pull-up both wings failed and that's all she wrote.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Must have already unloaded the Hellfires.

Great pics BTW.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Obama sent it to help guide the Mexicans accross the border safely.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#10]
N-number                       : N44956
Aircraft Serial Number         : 318-13/OB
Aircraft Manufacturer          : PARTENAVIA S.P.A.
        Model                 : P 68 OBSERVER
Engine   Manufacturer          : LYCOMING
        Model                 : I0360 SER A&C
Aircraft Year                  :    
Owner Name                     : TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE DEPT
Owner Address                  : 4200 SMITH SCHOOL RD
                                AUSTIN, TX, 78744-3218
Type of Owner                  : Government
Registration Date              : 19-Sep-2003
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations            : Normal

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Checked the N number. That is a State of Texas plane. I never got to fly it but got to craw all over and inside it. It is 99% a TPW use (back in the early 90s), with the Pooling Board system anyone can request it. It would not be a good jump plane because it won't carry much and won't climb fast. Sitting in the cockpit is just like sitting in a OH-58 or OH-6. Super foward and downward vis but not so much looking up. A/C is based in AUS. Last missions I knew about were deer population counts. The thing is not fast and limited to low weight on hot days. WJ ETA as above fast poster.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Def some terroristic stalking going on
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably trying to get the mexicans to shoot it down with their American made Arms.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probably trying to get the mexicans to shoot it down with their American made Arms.

haha... this
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#15]
It's owned by the Mexican cartels.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did you see any Feds nearby digging mass graves and setting up fences for detention camps???

They were probably scouting for suitable sites to put detention camps and mass graves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top