Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 7:04:45 AM EDT
Obama has not yet given his formal (Article II, Section 3 of the US Constitution) State of the Union Address.  The speech he gave in February is not considered to be "the" address.  Anyway, as you know, when he actually does give THE address, both houses of Congress are present, as is the SCOTUS, and the VP.  In fact, IIRC all of .gov's leadership are there, save for one or two who are kept in an undisclosed location . . . . "just in case."

Well, what if "just in case" happens?  What if some terror group or rouge nation is able to set off some type of big-time device near the event that wipes them all out.  I know, I know, this is highly unlikely . . . . if not impossible.  But it must be considered considering the profoundly weakened state the US is in now (i.e. the time––in their eyes––is ripe).

This level of destruction would not only create a leadership vacuum in the US, but would also create the potential for wide-spread lawlessness throughout the country.

The question is what would YOU do during this period?  Obviously, the first steps most of us would take would be to secure our loved ones, re-check our preps, top-off fuel, and perhaps "up the ante" with regard to the type of weapon we cary day-to-day; but what then?  What additional actions would you take?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
BBQ some chicken.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The question is what would YOU do during this period?  

This sort of question always makes me laugh. If the Feds disappeared tomorrow, the only real impact would have to do with passport issuance. You think the Feds have anything to do with regular law enforcement?

The Feds are just tapeworms with good PR. If they disappeared nobody would notice except we would all be the better for it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The question is what would YOU do during this period?

Celebrate?
Look forward to being able to replace all the entrenched 97 term congressmen that have completely lost touch with what America needs?
Call up all the dems I know and say "see this is what happens when you're soft on terrorism!"?

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
the bad guys know that it would be the worst thing they could do for themselves. the individuals in Washington are our weakest link.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the bad guys know that it would be the worst thing they could do for themselves. the individuals in Washington are our weakest link.

Basically what I was going to say.

Our generals would mount an attack and FUCK SHIT UP.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#6]
1st Pray for our country and our people and that God gives us guidance in the coming turmoil
2nd pray for those lost in the ruins and their friends and families and the first responders to the area
3rd pray the one held in reserve is a conservative thinking indivudal who loves America the Free and the Constitution
4th insure my loved ones are reasonably safe and secure
5th open the safe, prep the genny for cross over and make sure the water barrels are filled and then
6th

crack open that bottle of Laurent-Perrier Grande Siècle in the refer
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BBQ some chicken.

I disagree, an event such at that would require steaks.

Quoted:
<snip>
3rd pray the one held in reserve is a conservative thinking indivudal who loves America the Free and the Constitution
<snip>

Probably be Barney Frank and Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

Quoted:

Would that go with streak?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I would pray that every copy of our tax code was locked in the Capital buidling at the same time and we could finally start over with a flat tax.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#9]
NOt to sound too conspiritorial here:

The real power in DC does not come in the form of any individual Senator or Congressman.  The REAL power is in the staffers...they know all, see all and run all.  Nothing would change, they would just be handed a new set of faces to play with.

Business as usual after a brief period of lawlessness, such as we saw after Hurricane Katrina.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#10]
keep in mind there is no requirement he speak in front of both houses simultaneously, or that it be a speech. And there is no scheduled date.

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union,

It is only a recent tradition that it is done in speech form before both houses. Until then it was written down and read to the congress by a clerk.

carter did one of his in writing according to wikipedia.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Chuckle, then move on.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Ummmmm....What is the problem again?

Jeremy
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Settle some scores..
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Get ready to move to a conservative state because state governments just became a whole lot more powerful.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Not sure what I would personally do. Would probably jump for joy that some of them are gone and feel bad about some others.

However...

It would provide an opportunity for a "do over". We would have an opportunity to elect fresh politicians who are not connected to every corrupt situation or in it for themselves. We could even revise the current system and make it more to our liking. The liberals will be utterly lost and we will have our chance to make good on providing good leadership.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BBQ some chicken.

I disagree, an event such at that would require steaks.

Quoted:
<snip>
<snip>

Probably be Barney Frank and Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

Quoted:

Would that go with streak?

$150 bottle of french champange goes with anything you want it to go with..BBQ chicken or Streakwhat ever that is

Ruth buzzie Ginsberg is too sick to fill in as potus, no way Frank would miss being on TV with the Annoited One. or Nancy,
probably Joe Biden will be placed in the bunker, thankfully, he my not be able to figure out how to unlock the door and the Minority leaders will take charrge his absence. of course, that would take TESTOSTERONE, which I think is lacking in males of the republican persuasion
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
NOt to sound too conspiritorial here:

The real power in DC does not come in the form of any individual Senator or Congressman.  The REAL power is in the staffers...they know all, see all and run all.  Nothing would change, they would just be handed a new set of faces to play with.

Business as usual after a brief period of lawlessness, such as we saw after Hurricane Katrina.

YMMV

what you say is true, Rahm Emmanual is pretty much large and in charge, another fustrated GAy Man in a position of power,,God Help Us All
Emmanual, Pelosi, Reid and Frank is who I truly believe is running the country at the moment, with the Messiah as the Face of the nation only
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#19]
First I would declare myself President and assume command.

Then I would lock up all you dangerous bastids.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Rush to arfcom and be the first to post  

"and so it begins"    
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Did somebody say chicken?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#22]
i thought this was going to be a Dyson thread
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm sure I'd be flying a lot, because I'm sure I'd activated if that happened.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]
This would never happen.

Pretty much ALL terrorist groups LOVE Obama.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#25]
hope whoever takes over isn't a scumbag.

That, and celebrate
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I would cook up some chili with BEANS.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Think you might read a little too much Tom Clancy?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#28]

what you say is true, Rahm Emmanual is pretty much large and in charge, another fustrated GAy Man in a position of power,,God Help Us All
Emmanual, Pelosi, Reid and Frank is who I truly believe is running the country at the moment, with the Messiah as the Face of the nation only

This has more truth to it than most know. They are talking on FOX right now about how, his press confrences are staged with a self serving statement at the beginning and then prepared questions by "selected" news media types.    Their minions would carry on.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Going to go on a 2 week bender where I am constantly drunk, spun, and have "One Night in Paris" on repeat.

Then I will BBQ some chicken
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#30]
The bigger problem from a continuation of government standpoint would be the loss of the House of Representatives. The Senate can be replaced by governors appointing new senators in fairly short order, and some obscure cabinet member would immediately become president, But the only constitutional method of getting new representatives is special elections in each district. Getting the congress replaced could take months, and in that time the House wouldn't have a quorum and thus could not conduct business. That means no spending bills, and no declarations of war.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
BBQ some chicken.

HAW HAW (Belson voice)  that is fing awesome.  I read that and just laughed.

I think people have an exaggerated idea of how much the "need" government and how much effect it has on their daily lives.

as for lawlessness, don't see that happening unless all the LEOs of the country are there too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Some guy named Marshall will impose martial law?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
BBQ some chicken.

Wow glad you didn't say fry some chicken and eat watermelon that would have been racist!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Buy extra beer.  Remove the protective covers from my PMags.

Also, post on ARFCOM:

"ALET! ALET!  ATTENTION ARFCOM!!!  REMOVE THE PROTECTIVE COVERS FROM YOUR PMAGS!"

"NOW!"

ETA: Oh yeah, I would also call/text a specific ex-girlfriend and tell her it might get bad, she'd better come over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Participate in the widespread lawlessness?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Marvel at the horde of sheeple at Wallyworld buying up BB gun ammo 'cause there's not even .410 birdshot left.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Thank God for saving the country, and point my finger at some other country and laugh as they glow in the dark...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#38]
The 911 attack was about destroying capitolism.  The only ones more interested in destroying capitolism and taking away freedoms than the terrorists is BHO and the dems.  Why the fuck would they mess that up?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
i thought this was going to be a Dyson thread

I was thinking Hadron SuperCollider related.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#40]
First  I would probally be like  and then
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Obama has not yet given his formal (Article II, Section 3 of the US Constitution) State of the Union Address.  The speech he gave in February is not considered to be "the" address.

really? could have fooled me. It gets confusing, trying to keep up with all his individual soapbox tirades since it's his only real talent. well that and spending phantom money.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#42]
already set up for the end: weather  we are able to hold out here or have to bug out.
my self/wife are all I need to care about
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Locate and extract girlfriend from hostile territory.
Top off all fluids and preps.
Check and recheck perimeter fences and motion detectors.

Then, get the steaks on the grill with bacon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Obama has not yet given his formal (Article II, Section 3 of the US Constitution) State of the Union Address.  The speech he gave in February is not considered to be "the" address.  Anyway, as you know, when he actually does give THE address, both houses of Congress are present, as is the SCOTUS, and the VP.  In fact, IIRC all of .gov's leadership are there, save for one or two who are kept in an undisclosed location . . . . "just in case."

I wouldn't read too much into Obama's lack of a SOTUA.  There's nothing that requires a President to give an annual State of the Union Address.  The Constitution states "from time to time."  The annual personal appearance of the POTUS before a joint session of Congress to speak of the state of the union started with Woodrow Wilson who revived the practices of Washington and John Adams, probably because of WWI.  Every President from Jefferson through Taft sent a note to Congress which was read into record by a clerk.

U.S. Constitution, Article II, Section 3

"He shall from time to time give to Congress information of the State of the Union and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top