Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2009 4:01:20 AM EDT
This is just a thought and may or may not happen of course.  WIth the increase in gun sales
I am worried that many new gun owners will not know how to safely handle firearms.  
Hopefully people are smart enough to do theright thing so we don't give the dirty anti-guns
something to use against us in the future.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You're right armed sheeple could be a disaster.But on the upside it might thin the herd. Plus some deals on as new  guns in the future.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
That's the same attitude that the anti-gunners have: "We can't trust the riff-raff with such deadly things."

Most people are responsible enough to own a gun. Hell, driving a car is at least as dangerous as shooting a gun and most people manage that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:20:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's the same attitude that the anti-gunners have: "We can't trust the riff-raff with such deadly things."

Most people are responsible enough to own a gun. Hell, driving a car is at least as dangerous as shooting a gun and most people manage that.

Always has to be one..........

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is just a thought and may or may not happen of course.  WIth the increase in gun sales
I am worried that many new gun owners will not know how to safely handle firearms.  
Hopefully people are smart enough to do theright thing so we don't give the dirty anti-guns

its everyones personal right regardless of how responsible they are.  My guesss would be more people are haveing kids that have no buisness reproducing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:32:44 AM EDT
[#6]
You, saying my thoughts are the same as an anti-gun.  Read it for what it is rather than putting your spin on my thread.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Aren't you saying that there will be more accidents?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Im not concerned.
I think that 99.9% of people realize that guns arent toys and that they need to be handled carefully.
There will always be some idiot yahoo going, "hey, watch this" but I'm comfortable with the majority of responsible adults who possesses a weapon.

The only thing I think that might backfire is the buyers expectations of themselves.
I know there are people who think that all they need to do is buy a gun and now they become instantly protected.

The reality is, without proper mental and physical conditioning, pracice with the weapon, development of proper tactics, and a clear understanding of when to deploy deadly force and when not to, a gun is no more helpful to personal safety to not having one in the first place.

Situational awareness is probably the most overlooked thing in gun ownership.
Its not mentioned at the shops, its not for sale, yet without it, what good is that weapon?

Carrying or keeping a weapon for self defense without a well developed sense of self-situational awareness is a little like driving a car on the highway with darkly tinted windows and no mirrors, at night. (a lot of things happen that should be affecting your actions / decisions yet you remain entirely unaware of them, putting yourself at risk more as a function of your inaction / poor responses than the actual environment)
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:37:09 AM EDT
[#9]
This is a very difficult subject.  On the one hand, nobody wants to see injury or death occur from reckless and under-educated gun owners.  On the other hand, there is a danger that mandated education turns into qualification standards that prohibit gun ownership for many, if not most.

I think it's incumbent upon all responisible gun owners - gun owners who have had training, and appreciate the importance of gun safety - to be educators ourselves.  We must not be afraid to help new gun owners enjoy shooting safely.

Whenever we're at the range, whenever we see someone proudly showing off their new firearms, we should pay attention, and help them learn as much about safe gun handling as possible.  I'm not saying we need to me "Mr. Rangemaster" - just be helpful.

Nobody wants the government stepping in and regulating gun ownership, except the anti-gunners.  We need to do our part to help prevent tragic accidents that give them the ammunition they need to do just that.

Personally, I'm in favor of NRA-mandated education.  You buy a gun, you take an NRA-sponsored safety course.  The NRA gets no money from the government for these courses - the money comes from dues, donations, and endowments.  But of course there are many here who will somehow connect that to fascism.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:40:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quite possibly.  I hope that every household has firearms, I also hope that people are smart enough to be safe with them
so that we don't give the anti's more to bitch about. I can hear it already......they will claim a spike in gun accidents and crimes
since the spike in sales during the Obama Administration.  Unfortunately they may actually be able to show statistics in their favor
if all the new gun owners don't do the right thing and the blame won't go on Obama, it will go on guns of course.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#11]
It has it's bad points allready. Like prices going up and availability going down,the customer is far less valued by many dealers and manufacturers with so many orders backlogged. Who needs another order that we can't fill and collect on for six months seems to be the attitude of many.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Overall I think its a good thing. More gun owners = strength.

Remember we all had to start somewhere. Each of us had to learn the ropes of gun ownership and safe handling.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:54:20 AM EDT
[#13]
There could be a small short term rise in accidents but I think that in the long term more familiarity with guns will mean a decrease in accidents, which are already pretty low considering how many guns there are in the country.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I would think that a noticeable portion of the increased sales are going to Fudds who at least have a general idea as to how not to blow their foot off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#15]
How does one determine if someone should be protected against themself and not allowed to own a gun? This is the argument with the anti's.  They feel that We The People are incapable of of being responsible.  If a person has that much fear of a gun or they believe that they, themselves, are too unstable, irresponsible, or hot headed, then they shouldn't buy one.  But don't tell me and those who feel that we are and have demonstrated that we are responsible with them, that I can't own or purchase one.  It's all about choice. Some people choose not to own a gun. Some do.  If a person chooses to own a gun, they should be smart enough to learn how to safely store it, load/unload, and maintain it at a minimum.  If all they know about guns was learned from watching movies and tv, then they need to educate themselves better before they decide to buy one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Part of the problem is that because of the liberal's maniacal fear of firearms, basic gun handling and safety is not taught in schools anymore, shooting clubs are limited to private ranges and dwindling ODCMP clubs. Generations of Americans have never been taught gun safety principles.

Does this mean ownership should be curtailed? Of course not. But it does mean those of us who have been trained formally, whether military, LE experience, or simply taught by our grandfathers, need to make ourselves open to teaching those who have no experience. I do it whenever I get the chance, and I think it's amazing how people's attitudes can change from one of ignorance and fear to competence and appreciation for what guns do for us when they know they can use them safely, and for their intended purpose, whether it be sport or self-defense.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, but the government won't close a road after some moron gets in an accident.

Around here, they're just waiting for some goober to haul off and shoot someone at the public ranges so they can shut them down.   I've seen plenty of ND's, usually into the ground, or berm, but mostly people having not one iota of understanding about... well... anything other than "shootin' a gun", and it's only a matter of time before someone gets one in the back.  

Just because everyone can have a gun, does not mean, by any stretch of the imagination, that they NEED to have one

Proper, responsible caretaking of the 2nd Amendment is required.  It's not a free for all.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Im not concerned.
I think that 99.9% of people realize that guns arent toys and that they need to be handled carefully.
There will always be some idiot yahoo going, "hey, watch this" but I'm comfortable with the majority of responsible adults who possesses a weapon.

The only thing I think that might backfire is the buyers expectations of themselves.
I know there are people who think that all they need to do is buy a gun and now they become instantly protected.

The reality is, without proper mental and physical conditioning, pracice with the weapon, development of proper tactics, and a clear understanding of when to deploy deadly force and when not to, a gun is no more helpful to personal safety to not having one in the first place.

Its not mentioned at the shops, its not for sale, yet without it, what good is that weapon?

Carrying or keeping a weapon for self defense without a well developed sense of self-situational awareness is a little like driving a car on the highway with darkly tinted windows and no mirrors, at night. (a lot of things happen that should be affecting your actions / decisions yet you remain entirely unaware of them, putting yourself at risk more as a function of your inaction / poor responses than the actual environment)

This. Most will buy a gun, maybe shoot it a few times, then put it away.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just because everyone can have a gun, does not mean, by any stretch of the imagination, that they NEED to have one

You are starting to sound like Feinstein, Schumer and Kennedy there, sport.
Who gets to decide who needs guns, you?

The 2nd ammendment guarantees gun ownership for ALL law abiding citizens, not just the ones you or anyone chooses based on any agenda other than a judicial one.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2nd ammendment guarantees gun ownership for ALL law abiding citizens, not just the ones you choose.

There goes another one not reading what was wrote.  Nowhere in that statement does he say anything about who shall have the right to own a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2nd ammendment guarantees gun ownership for ALL law abiding citizens, not just the ones you choose.

There goes another one not reading what was wrote.  Nowhere in that statement does he say anything about who shall have the right to own a firearm.

No, I commented on his thought that only some need a firearm.  This is liberal think.
The second amendment does not make that distinction, and we should not make it either.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#22]

If the typical sheep turned "Rambo" is anything like they were before they had a typical AR-15, the lower is in the bedroom closet under every sporting good item they own, the upper is in the attic behind Grandpa's old trunk that has 3 Garands, a RR 1911, and a BAR that they don't even know is there, the BCG is in the icebox next to the hotpockets (that's assuming they even figured out how to get it out of the upper, or even know if it comes out), and all of them are in a locked hard box entwined in enough cable and trigger locks that you could use to run a phone to the moon. There is one box of of the cheapest .243 in the sock drawer because the gun store/Wal-Mart was out of .223, and .243 should be close enough. If they remembered to buy a magazine, since the $1600 used Oly Arms didn't come with any, I'd be really fucking surprised.

There is your typical proud new gun owner since the election. They probably burned the instructions so the children couldn't learn how to use the deadly uhssalt weapons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I commented on his thought that only some need a firearm.  This is liberal think.
The second amendment does not make that distinction, and we should not make it either.

That is not what he wrote, you are seeing what you want to see.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I posed that same question, in part due to several things witnessed at local gun shops since the Messiah won back in November. I don't know if it's totally negative, I tend to believe (and hope) that people will properly educate themselves about firearms. I do believe alot of folks who really didn't consider buying guns, specifically AR's during the Bush years, and now with all the talk of another AWB, people are impulse buying because they think they won't be able to if the the Messiah has his way. One such incident that I've related here shortly after I witnessed it, took place at a local shop back in Nov/Dec of '08. I was talking to one of the gentleman I know at said shop when some late 40's Waldo looking gentleman walks up to the counter and tells one of the other employees that he recently had a transfer and he was here to check it out as he heard from the shop it arrived and he needed to come finalize the paperwork. Employee walks into back, then comes back with a hard plastic case, sits it on the counter and pops it open, and it's a colt 9mm AR, the employee checks the gun, then hands it to the customer who proceeds to sweep the head of the employee and he politely tells the guy what he did blah blah, and the customer proceeds to ask the employee "how do I cock this?" to which the employee I was speaking with and myself look at each other in amazement. He's then shown how to "cock" it, and then proceeds to ask "can you show me how to put the clip in" to which he's shown, and wants to know how to adjust the stock (it's a car stock). This was one of 4 such "events" I've witnessed where I asked, should this person really be owning an AR?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posed that same question, in part due to several things witnessed at local gun shops since the Messiah won back in November. I don't know if it's totally negative, I tend to believe (and hope) that people will properly educate themselves about firearms. I do believe alot of folks who really didn't consider buying guns, specifically AR's during the Bush years, and now with all the talk of another AWB, people are impulse buying because they think they won't be able to if the the Messiah has his way. One such incident that I've related here shortly after I witnessed it, took place at a local shop back in Nov/Dec of '08. I was talking to one of the gentleman I know at said shop when some late 40's Waldo looking gentleman walks up to the counter and tells one of the other employees that he recently had a transfer and he was here to check it out as he heard from the shop it arrived and he needed to come finalize the paperwork. Employee walks into back, then comes back with a hard plastic case, sits it on the counter and pops it open, and it's a colt 9mm AR, the employee checks the gun, then hands it to the customer who proceeds to sweep the head of the employee and he politely tells the guy what he did blah blah, and the customer proceeds to ask the employee "how do I cock this?" to which the employee I was speaking with and myself look at each other in amazement. He's then shown how to "cock" it, and then proceeds to ask "can you show me how to put the clip in" to which he's shown, and wants to know how to adjust the stock (it's a car stock). This was one of 4 such "events" I've witnessed where I asked, should this person really be owning an AR?

Hopefully the salesman took the time to show him is much as possible and give him resources to learn more.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:40:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I started the exact same thread earlier this month
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=841636
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully the salesman took the time to show him is much as possible and give him resources to learn more.

indeed they did, my point was that with Obama in office, I believe alot of folks are buying for the wrong reason, and yes, some of them probably shouldn't be purchasing AR's, Red Ryder BB guns perhaps, but AR's no!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Some people may not think they need a gun and make a choice that they shouldn't.  What if someone is living with an alcoholic, but wants to get into shooting?  He looks at what is infront of him and decides "You know, I don't NEED this right now, I'm going to wait until Uncle Charlie gets a place of his own."

So that's now bad?   He should totally forgo what he thinks is comfortable and just buy a gun?   Knowing that Uncle Charlie may get himself into trouble, he made a decision NOT to go ahead with a purchase and wants to get everything to a place where he won't have to worry about whatever it is that he's worried about.

I still believe in personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#29]
No offense, OP, but have you ever been inside of a firearms retail outlet?

At least a 3rd of the customers reside on the low end of the Bell Curve. And, no, gun safety is not something they interest themselves in.

It's been that way for decades.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:55:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Just another thought....some people are genuinely buying them as keepsakes to have after guns are no longer available.
Its a lot like people hoarding Coca-Cola when "New Coke" was introduced back on the 80's.
The original old bottles of cola were flying off the shelves because people just wanted to have it.

Same with copper pennies when the Mint made the change to zinc.
People hoarded the old pennies...they werent worth any more and never will be, but people just wanted to have what was no longer available.

When any product cycle goes "end of life" the remaining widgets on the shelves dont last long.
Americans love to "collect" stuff.

So, my point...a lot of weapons are being purchased by folks who just want decorations for their home.
They'll never be used as weapons....many never even fired.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't see where it would be any different than in the past..there has always been a huge per centage of the gun owning population that has no training on the weapons they own or any idea of when they can legally employ them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Im not concerned.

The reality is, without proper mental and physical conditioning, pracice with the weapon, development of proper tactics, and a clear understanding of when to deploy deadly force and when not to, a gun is no more helpful to personal safety to not having one in the first place. This is an exaggeration. A majority of self defense incidents occur where the armed citizen merely has to SHOW the firearm and the criminal either leaves or is apprehended. In the vast majority of cases the gun is not fired. Having the means to defend one's self is critical. Training is important because nobody knows if the situation they get into will be one of the majority where a gun is flashed and nothing exciting happens, or if they will be involved in a more dynamic situation. You train for the WORST case senerio. In reality the vast majority of situations simply having the means is sufficient.

In no way is this meant to convince people NOT to train, but in reality most people will not go through the time and money to do so. It is up to people like us to encourage others to get some training. But equating an untrained armed person as being as useless as an unarmed person is wrong. And may turn away people, especially women, who would want to purchase a gun but would get intimidated with all there is to know and not do it at all. I post because I have seen that very thing a number of times, and they would be better off with the gun than without. People can be eased into training.

Carrying or keeping a weapon for self defense without a well developed sense of self-situational awareness is a little like driving a car on the highway with darkly tinted windows and no mirrors, at night. (a lot of things happen that should be affecting your actions / decisions yet you remain entirely unaware of them, putting yourself at risk more as a function of your inaction / poor responses than the actual environment) Again way too much of an exaggeration. Basic gun handling skills are NOT that difficult to learn and do NOT take very long to learn. It is important to get extra training and I am a BIG believer in training. But your analogies are exaggerated and factually not true. The vast majority of people will not get any training, and the vast majority of incidents don't require more than the guns presence. This is NOT a justification for not training. You need to find a better way to convince people the necessity of training.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#34]
It's a double edged sword.  On one hand, it increases our numbers...on the other, it lowers our average collective IQ.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I think many new gun owners will simply put it away and probably never touch it again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just another thought....some people are genuinely buying them as keepsakes to have after guns are no longer available.
Its a lot like people hoarding Coca-Cola when "New Coke" was introduced back on the 80's.
The original old bottles of cola were flying off the shelves because people just wanted to have it.

Same with copper pennies when the Mint made the change to zinc.
People hoarded the old pennies...they werent worth any more and never will be, but people just wanted to have what was no longer available.

When any product cycle goes "end of life" the remaining widgets on the shelves dont last long.
Americans love to "collect" stuff.

So, my point...a lot of weapons are being purchased by folks who just want decorations for their home.
They'll never be used as weapons....many never even fired.

QFT.  Many of these people also could care less if a new AWB comes or not.  They heard they might not be able to get something and got it before the window closes.  Some don't care if the window closes at all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I get what the OP is trying to say-hopefully a spike in gun sales won't correlate to a spike in gun accidents.  I wish we had gun education in school, an Eddie Eagle type program would be good, just some basics for all.  Education is the key.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is kind of interesting, however, that here we are gun owners, discussing gun ownership, in terms of gun control talking points, and looking upon our fellow gun owners with alarm and disdain. Gun safety isn't rocket science, have faith that most people will be able to figure it out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Most "new" gun owners will shove them in a closet and forget about that new AR-15 they paid $3000 for

Until they need money and sell it for $1500

I really doubt all these "new people" getting into guns are going to be avid shooters, if they ever even shoot their new 1st gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call it like I see it.  The framers of the constitution did not debate who "needed" arms, only that the right to bear them was needed to ensure that the republic would continue to exist.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what he wrote ,what are you reading ?

I think i know where your going with this, manditory gun safety courses . To save us from ourselves .

Your little thread here kind of pisses me off ,You sound like an anti at least you use the same propaganda they do !

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I've said this before...  I agree and it bothers me when people rush to buy gun #1.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#43]
I see now, this is a Troll thread
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Was that aimed at me or I'm I being an overly sensitive loser?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

During and after the '92 So. Central L.A. Riots, there was a record number of guns sold to the general populace.The mainstream news media had predicted a blood bath of ADs & NDs and shootings etc. when people started to take possession of their guns after the Calif mandatory 3 week waiting period. That day came and gone, nothing. And the next day came and gone, and nothing.  A week later came and gone, and nothing. They had reporters standing by at the local ERs and nothing out of the ordinary. "Just another day in paradise."

The mainstream news media was truly disappointed that absolutely none of their prediction of mass carnage came true.

Not an issue. Yep, that pretty much summed it up in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was that aimed at me or I'm I being an overly sensitive loser?

No, I'm pretty sure he's calling me a troll which is fine.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Eventually, the noobs will sell them off after the panic is over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's got a point; it's not like everyone who had a gun in October '08 was a highly trained operator.  I'd say the "dangerous and stupid" crowd already had plenty of guns.  As a matter of fact, a certain kind of idiot tends to gravitate towards high-powered, potentially hazardous devices.  Fast cars, sport bikes, guns, etc (not that there's anything inherently wrong with any of these!).

Matter of fact, most of the new gun owners likely view guns as a necessity or hedge against future unavailability and are hence less likely to engage in some of the more egregious behaviors seen on youtube and such.

I'd think firearms ownership in this country is actually pretty well distributed across the bell curve; I'd have a hard time believing that the new influx of owners are going to change accident statistics in any meaningful way.  That's really a moot point anyway since the ANTIs generally make their stats out of whole cloth instead of being inconvenienced by such trivial things as facts.

Everyone was a novice shooter once; elitism will serve us poorly, and is one of the things that has frequently annoyed me about the shooting sports.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No offense, OP, but have you ever been inside of a firearms retail outlet?

At least a 3rd of the customers reside on the low end of the Bell Curve. And, no, gun safety is not something they interest themselves in.

It's been that way for decades.

You've got a good point, and no offense taken.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think many new gun owners will simply put it away and probably never touch it again.

Which is perfectly fine.   A gunowner who votes with me but doesn't shoot is A-ok in my book.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top