Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 1:57:07 AM EDT
Anyone load Spire point bullets instead of FMJBT bullets?

I found some for the same price as FMJBT.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I occasionally load spire point bullets instead of FMJBT bullets.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Load it all the time because I can usually find them cheaper than the FMJ ones.

Funny thing is that I load them to .223 FMJ specs and they are some of the most accurate loads I shoot.

Accurate as hell in my Golani, M4, etc.

YMMV but works great for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Load it all the time because I can usually find them cheaper than the FMJ ones.

Funny thing is that I load them to .223 FMJ specs and they are some of the most accurate loads I shoot.

Accurate as hell in my Golani, M4, etc.

YMMV but works great for me.

I've heard quite a few people say they are just as if not more accurate then the FMJBT.

I'm wondering why people are so dead set on FMJBT when you can get an SP for the same price or a bit more.

Is there anything extra that needs to be taken into consideration when loading SP vs. loading FMJBT?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#4]
You probably want to try your loads when you try a  different bullet - be safe and work up.

I was loading .223 before I ever got into the AR. My opinion has been that most commercial SP's are fine bullets - accurate and good for hunting. If you expect self defence, I generally assume that bullets that work for hunting are the same kinds of bullets that will be effective for defence.

The military uses FMJ because of the agreements against expanding bullets. I can see some benefits to using steel penetrators in FMJ, but I certainly can't imagine penetrators improving accuracy.

I do load some FMJ, but I got a bunch of them cheap. I use them for "blasting". My more typical Remngton and Hornady SP's (which used to be cheap) are more accurate. They're also effective on varmits.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Winchester 64gr PSPs are some of the best .223 bullets for Pdog, ground hog and coyote I've ever shot.

I load them to 3k fps.out of a 20" 1 in 7 barrel.

Not exactly a spire point but close.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
It seems as though there are quite a few people out there that say SP bullets are no good for personal protection.

So fragmentation or nothing for home defense?

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you referring to Hornady's bullets specifically? Spire Point is their term for pointed, or spitzer bullets. So, technically, FMJs are spire point, as they are pointed/spitzer bullets. Just trying to clarify things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you referring to Hornady's bullets specifically? Spire Point is their term for pointed, or spitzer bullets. So, technically, FMJs are spire point, as they are pointed/spitzer bullets. Just trying to clarify things.

I was wondering if people have had good success reloading with the SP bullets instead of the FMJBT bullets.

There seems to be an almost cult like following to using nothing but FMJ in .223 ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Boat tails offer better ballistics, Spire points tend more toward accuracy.
This is not a rule but rather a tendency. It has to do with that crucial moment the bullet leaves the barrel and how well it maintains proper alignment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Softpoint bullets are excellent SD rounds. Nosler makes an excellent 60gr. Partition that will penetrate like crazy and expand well.

I personally reload hunting type bullets only. But I load for 22-250 as well so it fits.

Try the bulk pack Remiington 55gr SP Corelokt. It shoots pretty well and is accurate in most rifles as well as cheap.

Expanding bullets are very profient game killers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#11]
All of my 7.62x39 use Hornady Spire Points (i.e., soft points).  Why?  They were on sale and I bough 2k.

They are killer on paper!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top