Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2009 10:18:10 PM EDT
For purposes of speed limits in Texas, when does "night" begin?  Sunset? A half hour after sunset? When it is completely dark out? When?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
weird....never seen different speed limits like that before.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, but I've heard that its due to wildlife.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Texas' speed limits on their interstates are incredibly homosexual.

It increases with nightfall.

ETA: Which Interstate is that? I-40, I-27 and I-35 are 70/65. It is very, VERY gay.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Only in Texas and Montana

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
30 minutes after the official sundown time. DPS will sometimes ask our dispatcher what the official sunset time is over the radio.

Breacher
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

ETA: Which Interstate is that? I-40, I-27 and I-35 are 70/65. It is very, VERY gay.

That pic is from I-20; they have the same speed limit on I-10. All of the 80mph zones are in west Texas. Utah also has a small test section of 80 mph limit on I-15.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
30 minutes after the official sundown time. DPS will sometimes ask our dispatcher what the official $un$et time is over the radio.

Breacher

Carry on...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've wondered the same question for years. Never found a standard definition for "night' on the dps website. I've just always assumed you have to reduce speed when you require the use of your headlamps. Done this for years and have never been pulled over, and I've passed many a cops.

I-10?

ETA: I see somebody answered the question. And if you're heading east, don't get to comfortable, the speed limit drops back down to 70 around monahans.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I 20  between Dallas and Shreveport is 70 day/65 night. I've never seen 80/65, but Houston and DFW are as far as I ever go into Texas.

Edit: Oh that is I 20.  Where at?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I 20  between Dallas and Shreveport is 70 day/65 night. I've never seen 80/65, but Houston and DFW are as far as I ever go into Texas.

The 80 zone on I-10 is east of El Paso to west of San Antonio.

I'm not sure how far west of Fort Worth the 80 zone begins.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Edit: Oh that is I 20.

Where at?

IIRC near Pecos

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#12]
It's even more rare as we have very few highways with 80MPH limits.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Nobody in the history of Texas has ever paid any attention to the night time speed limit.

I was once driving through Texas, company vehicle with the 1-800-fuckmeover number on the back, driving exactly the speed limit.  Cars and trucks passed me at least 15 mph over.

Texas Hwy Patrol pulls alongside, gets on his PA and says, "I know you think you're doing the right thing, but just go with the flow.  You're impeding the flow of traffic."

I made note of his unit number, sped up and went with the flow.

Imagine that, a cop telling me to speed!

Anyway, that bottom number on those signs is meaningless.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I have never seen 80mph speed limit
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nobody in the history of Texas has ever paid any attention to the night time speed limit.

Count me as the first then, I got pulled over once by DPS for going 77 in an 70.  Only thing is that because it was at night the real limit was 65.  Got off with a warning though so maybe I was unlucky and lucky at the same time.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#16]
"Daytime" means the period beginning one-half hour before sunrise and ending one-half hour after sunset.

"Nighttime" means the period beginning one-half hour after sunset and ending one-half hour before sunrise.

Texas Transportation Code Sec. 541.401
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#17]
night time in Texas is:

30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise

It sound retarded but I've come to realization since the traffic code section of the academy that just cause it's light doesn't mean the sun hasn't set yet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was once driving through Texas, company vehicle with the 1-800-fuckmeover number on the back, driving exactly the speed limit.  Cars and trucks passed me at least 15 mph over.

Texas Hwy Patrol pulls alongside, gets on his PA and says, "I know you think you're doing the right thing, but just go with the flow.  You're impeding the flow of traffic."

awesome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#19]
The half hour rule is convenient because you can just slow down when your visibility deteriorates. I like that law.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

awesome.

It depends where you are. In my area, police won't look at you unless you're doing more than 10 over. But if I act like that on a road trip I get pulled over. Got pulled over for 71 in a 65 west of San Angelo but got a warning.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes it is rather weird (and largely ignored).  They also have ones like that for trucks sometimes, eg Speed Limit 70 / Truck 65 or 60 / 55.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I found out that even if there is just a hint of dawn light on the horizon its still night.

DPS officer was a very cool cat.  Only gave me a warning.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes it is rather weird (and largely ignored).  They also have ones like that for trucks sometimes, eg Speed Limit 70 / Truck 65 or 60 / 55.

alternate truck speed limits are only on Farm to Market roads.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I hate the nighttime speed limit thing.

In MS where I grew up it didn't matter night or day speed limit was 70 on the interstate.

However, I do like the TX speed limits on most roads though.

2-lane hwy mostly are set at 70 mph. They also build the 2 lane hwys wider so the slow asses can pull over on the shoulder and let you go around them. More states should adopt this.

Interstate hwy in deserted area set at 80 mph.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The 80 zone on I-10 is east of El Paso to west of San Antonio.

I'm not sure how far west of Fort Worth the 80 zone begins.

The 80 MPH, the commission may establish a speed limit of 80 miles per hour in daytime on a part of Interstate Highway 10 or Interstate Highway 20 in Crockett, Culberson, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Kerr, Kimble, Pecos, Reeves, Sutton, or Ward County if  the commission determines that 80 miles per hour in daytime is a reasonable and safe speed for that part of the highway.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Ya'll got it made.  here in PA its 55 most places and only kicks up to 65 in rural areas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I got pulled over coming out of Dallas on I20. The speed limit changes 3-4 times through there. The officer said "So, your going 77 loaded, I cant imagine how fast you would be going empty". I said "I am empty, if I was loaded coming down that hill I would be going 97"

He gave me written warning after 1/2 hour going through my papers and logs!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I got nailed in west texas a couple of years ago doing about 90 in the 80 zone.  thankfully, the sheriff just gave me a warning.    sneaky fucker was driving an unmarked white ford explorer.

but, yes, Texas defines night as one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise.

I remember that from way back when I got my first drivers license.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I got pulled over for speeding one night.  I was doing eighty-eight, but at 2am.  I fought it by sending a court a copy of the Texas motor handbook that didn't show a sign marked night and only has a normal speed limit sign with the caption "This is the fastest you are allowed to drive day or night."

Never heard back from them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#30]
A guy I work with got a ticket for seven over because he was doing 72 in a 70 at night(65).  I guess enforcement just depends where you are.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Almost everywhere in Texas has two signs like that.  I love being able to drive 80 out in west Texas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

increases w/ nightfall? just curious which picture you were looking at. and YES the speed limit laws are gay here w/ all the speed traps!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I figure night is when I have to turn my lights on.

I never even see a cop out here though, so I don't worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I think we should have gps speed controllers that read where along the road you are and what speed is safe to go. It could be 35 in some places and 45 in others.

Or maybe we can go one further and just have a room of people like Aircraft Controllers that adjust our gas pedals. We'd have overrides for the brakes, but they'd be in control.

I mean, people can't decide how fast to go.... they're just too dumb

Just let us go the speed we want. Where are we, soviet russia with Joseph Stalin?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This...

At worst, HiPo wants to take a look, they pull you over for that and then write you a warning.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hell Ill take the texas speed limit law over what it is here in Ohio.  On rural freeways the max speed limit is 65 and trucks are limited to 55.  Not to mention in some areas you cant drive 2 miles without seeing a fucking state trooper.  Im not an LEO basher but those fags will pull you over for going so much as 5 over.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I-20 in west Texas. IIRC-It goes up to 80 outside of Monahans
I got stopped out there doing 95 about 1am coming back from a wedding. Just ran my license and told me to be careful
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#38]
in houston i am pretty sure that on the highways, that the 65mph actually = 80mph.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

increases w/ nightfall? just curious which picture you were looking at. and YES the speed limit laws are gay here w/ all the speed traps!!!

The gayness increases.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
in houston i am pretty sure that on the highways, that the 65mph actually = 90mph.

Fixed based on personal experiance, while being a traffic enforcement unit.

Thank GOD I am no longer a traffic cop.  FUCK doing traffic on freeways. Crazy sons of bitches up there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got stopped out there doing 95 about 1am coming back from a wedding. Just ran my license and told me to be careful

Ha! I was talking to a Marine about his experiences during the Desert Storm and he said about the Iraqi oil field fires: "I thought I'd died and gone to Monahans"
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
in houston i am pretty sure that on the highways, that the 65mph actually = 90mph.

Thank GOD I am no longer a traffic cop.  FUCK doing traffic on freeways. Crazy sons of bitches up there.

I still don't "get" that - I can drive bumper to bumper at 85mph in the city and be passed by cops, but I go 7 mph over the limit in the middle of NOWHERE and get pulled over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Don't bet on it.  I got a ticket from a DPS officer for going 71 mph at night.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! I was talking to a Marine about his experiences during the Desert Storm and he said about the Iraqi oil field fires: "I thought I'd died and gone to Monahans"

ah yes, the sandhills.  
West Texas trivia, Maybe out of date though,  but did you know that the monahans sandhills state park has over 1000 visitors on avg a day
Its just a bunch of sand on the side of the interstate.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen it on I-20 before. Don't recall what stretch it was on, somewhere near Dallas though.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
ah yes, the sandhills.  
West Texas trivia, Maybe out of date though,  but did you know that the monahans sandhills state park has over 1000 visitors on avg a day
Its just a bunch of sand on the side of the interstate.

The sand hills, and the smell.

I think I visited that park, too, but I didn't see much at 85mph
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen it on I-20 before. Don't recall what stretch it was on, somewhere near Dallas though.

I-40 as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still don't "get" that - I can drive bumper to bumper at 85mph in the city and be passed by cops, but I go 7 mph over the limit in the middle of NOWHERE and get pulled over.

Which of course begs the question, is the object of the stop safety?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#49]
That's the problem with drivers from TX. Obeyin' speed limits and whatnot. JK

PS- When you come into Oklahoma, stick to the RIGHT lane if you're gonna set your cruise control to the speed limit.

If you see a mile long line of pissed off OK drivers in your rear view mirror, get into the fucking right lane.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I always took it as "dark"

I have wondered this a few times myself...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top