Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2009 9:54:04 PM EDT
Just watched Quantum of Solace.  Not a bad movie btw.  Not THE BEST, but not bad.

Now I've got that .380 itch again.    

I mean, if Bond can kill dozens of guys with it it MUST be good, right?  Right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
There's nothing wrong with 380ACP, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I want one.

I had a stainless PPK/s a few years ago.  It was STUPID accurate.  The single action trigger was THE nicest I've ever felt.  I kick myself in the ass for trading it away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I watched it tonight also and was also thinking about the old PPK.  GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#4]
My personal pic for gun of that type would be a Sig P232.

Heck, it's still me carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
that new walther looks really nice..... the PK 380 looks like a P33 but shoots the .380 i want one..... still need to get me a PPK for my slowly growing walther collection
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one and had nothing but problems with it... It was my dad's old CCW, but I consistently had FTF problems with it... must have been something about the way I shot it because he doesnt have that problem (gave it back to him). FYI - Whatever my issue with this gun was, I've never had it with any other gun. It was damn pretty and very accurate when it worked.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know what I'd do with it, but the PPK is a great looking gun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know what I'd do with it, but the PPK is a great looking gun.

Shoot shit?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife has one, I hate it.  I can't carry it comfortably (I carry a Commander 1911 every day), can't shoot it without the slide tearing up the top of my hand and don't like the amount of recoil or flat-rocks-in-the-wind accuracy (compared to my 1911, not really fair I know).  It sure is built like a German gun though- very high quality.

I'm not a big guy and I can carry a 1911 anywhere I want with a little careful choice of belts, holsters and clothes, so I just don't worry about her PPK anymore.  At least she will carry it, that's the important part.  I had to make her a leather IWB holster for it just the way she wanted it, and that turned out pretty well.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Hate them:
I have big hands and it bites me
I barely trust 9mm, nevermind 9mm short.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes.

Disclaimer:

I would have said yes to any new, quality firearm purchase.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#12]
yep,

I own one, it was my Grandmother's, she has arthritis and can't cock the slide, so I traded her my S&W 10 for the Walther. Damn thing is too small for me, but still, its a neat little pistol
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
that new walther looks really nice..... the PK 380 looks like a P33 but shoots the .380 i want one..... still need to get me a PPK for my slowly growing walther collection

im thinking about buying a pk380 but since its based on the p22 im holding off for reviews
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine was accurate, well-made and reliable; double action was terrible, single was crisp. Had it as a backup in my vest. Wouldn't be my first choice for a primary handgun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Always thought they were overhyped mouseguns, then my dad just had to have one for a CCW (yeah, he like Bond.  We both do).

Guess what; it's a great little pistol.  Spooky accurate, easy to carry, good looking.

I'd get one myself but I've pretty well transitioned to Glocks for my "serious" pistols, and I'm currently in love with my G26 anyway.

Get the PPK; you won't regret it, and it still has an undeniable 007 cool factor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hate them:

Yeah, I let a guy shoot my P232 that had the same problem.

Apparently, neither pistol is suitable for people with huge mitts.

As for the caliber... meh, never sweated too much about caliber.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the 9x18 mak caliber. Radom P-64 is very close to the PPK/S design
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I want one.

I had a stainless PPK/s a few years ago. It was STUPID accurate. The single action trigger was THE nicest I've ever felt. I kick myself in the ass for trading it away.

I own the poor-man's Bond gun - the Bersa Thunder .380.

And it's accurate like a freaky $1,100 target .22. It's the fixed barrel on these little blowbacks. They just put the BB in the same hole, and do it again, and again, and again.

With no failures to feed, fire, or eject.

Not one. Not with my handloads, and not with HP.

I LOVE my Bersa Thunder, and I loved the price: $269 for hard-chromed/alum frame.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a PPK/S for a few years. I loved the gun and it CCW'ed very well but it did cut the crap out of my hand. The new PPK and PPK/S that S&W is making has a longer tang almost a beaver tail that has ended that problem for me. I am actually considering trading in my S&W 638 for one of the new PPK's.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

kept next to Ye lucky charms

Been eyeballing some of the walthers at the gun shop.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my PPK.  Bought it about two years ago from S&W.  Had some initial issues with the decoking/ safety mechanism.  They replaced the gun and I’ve used it without a single failure for over 2000 rounds.  Very fast cycling with that single action trigger if you want to shoot fast.  It likes a firm hand and good ammo though.  Don’t use cheep dirty imported crap in it or you will have problems.
It is great for a concealed gun and fits perfectly right up through the hand guard in my watch pocket!  Just un-tuck your tee shirt on a warm day and no one will know it’s there.

There is a recall for them now.  Sent mine in yesterday.  The recall pertains to the safety mechanism.  Not sure if it was the same problem that I had on the first gun or something different.  I believe S&W re-designed it slightly when they started to make them and that was what created the issue.  If true, they should have just stuck with the old German designs instead of screwing around with it.  

It is a snappy little gun but it is accurate.  Big hands should get the S model or something else.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:01:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hate them:

+1  I bought one for the wife many years ago.  She shot it ok, but the little bastard chewed the hell out of the web of my hand whenever I shot it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#23]
.380???

Fook that .
Get a PPJ/S in .32Acp if you want a real bond gun .
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:10:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Buy it, I think CTD has some good prices on .380 right now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:12:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like the 9x18 mak caliber. Radom P-64 is very close to the PPK/S design

Agreed. I've got one and it is stupid accurate. But the trigger in double action makes Baby Jesus cry. I've got the springs to lighten the trigger, just haven't gotten around to fooling with it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:22:47 AM EDT
[#26]
In a a word, YES!!!!!!. I have a kel tec 380 and wish I would have not been a cheap ass and got a walther!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hate them:

I don't have big hands, but the PPK/s bites me too. Its not too bad, just notice it after a couple hundred rounds. So if you're CCW'ing it is is not a problem.

As far as the round goes...it's not that bad...it helped start WW1 after all
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:42:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just watched Quantum of Solace.  Not a bad movie btw.  Not THE BEST, but not bad.

007's gun was a .32 not .380.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:04:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I had one, my dad has one, and a friend has one. ALL of them have ftf issues. All of them have more issues than an out of the box P3AT, and that is saying something. All three are Interarms guns. I hope S&W has fixed this.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:13:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I REALLY like that Sig.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:38:17 AM EDT
[#33]
If I was to get a .380, it would be a CZ82, hands down.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Adolf Hitler killed himself with his PPK

Must be a good gun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PPK
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My personal pic for gun of that type would be a Sig P232.

I carried a Walther PP for years.  Stepped up (?) to a 1911 Commander size in .38 Super and still can't get used to it.
5sub

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#36]
This is about what I have myself:

While it's not as accurate as my Glock 17, it's accurate enough at short range.

My two real gripes are relatively minor.  One is that I had to have a Gunsmith move the rear sights so I could hit what I'm aiming at.  The other is the bite in my shooting hand.  I since gotten the habit of always wearing a driving glove whenever I shoot a pistol of any make.  That habit lead to me always wearing gloves when loading the magazines as well; helps keep my hands cleaner and easier to clean.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes, I had a .32 PP that I bought while I was in Germany and really liked it, but I didn't shoot a lot at the time and sold it. I have always wanted a PPK though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes, get one!

As mentioned, Bond's was a .32, not a .380.

My Walther is a PP in .22 long rifle.  Love that little gun.  It shoots great and does not bite the hand that feeds it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd wait......ALL S&W built are being recalled.....  Mine is already gone back to them. They say it'll be at LEAST 12 weeks to repair.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I've had one for many years in .380. Great little pistol.

As other posters have mentioned, it will bite your hand if you're not careful.

Accurate and easy to carry concealed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I've had a Walthers PP in 7.62 since the early 80s.  It sleeps by my bed in a small safe, and I carry it still, despite having a P-5 and 2 HK USPs.

And Bond didn't want the Walthers; he prefered a Beretta. Flatter is better when you wear a tux.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I wanted one ever since i saw The Departed.

the stainless ones look even better in person.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I want one.

I had a stainless PPK/s a few years ago. It was STUPID accurate. The single action trigger was THE nicest I've ever felt. I kick myself in the ass for trading it away.

I own the poor-man's Bond gun - the Bersa Thunder .380.

And it's accurate like a freaky $1,100 target .22. It's the fixed barrel on these little blowbacks. They just put the BB in the same hole, and do it again, and again, and again.

With no failures to feed, fire, or eject.

Not one. Not with my handloads, and not with HP.

I LOVE my Bersa Thunder, and I loved the price: $269 for hard-chromed/alum frame.

I had a Bersa Thunder, too, got it when they were right at $200.  Sold it to a friend that just HAD to buy another gun that night!   I would like to look into getting another one, since it has one feature that the PPK/s did not - an external slide stop.   It was also a little lighter, being an alloy frame.  

I think the Thunder would be a good carry/car gun, because we wouldn't cry if we lost 'em.  They're inexpensive enough to replace easily.

Did you ever find a source for magazines?  I had investigated but found only one source.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#44]

Now THAT looks INTERESTING!  

Depending on how it feels in hand (looks like I'd need magazines with a finger rest), I bet that would be an awesome CCW.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#45]
I used to own one...

A couple of thoughts..

As mentioned, the single action is nice, but the double action is stiff (very, very stiff).   The DA pull can be smoothed out a good bit to make it feel lighter.

The PPK/s is the PPK with a slightly longer grip frame (think 1911 Officers vs. Commander/Full size).   Unless you have small hands (I wear a size 7 1/2 surgical glove, which is about medium), on the regular PPK, your little finger will be off the grip (on the finger extension of the mag, or below it, depending on how it is outfitted).     The PPK/s (the ones I picked up in the store) were more comfortable to grip.

I've shot the P230/P232 SIG Sauers, and I think they are a little bit better gun overall, but don't have the cachet that the Walther has.

They are a nice addition to any collection.....however, pick up both the PPK and PPK/s before you decide (the /s has one more round in the mag if I recall properly).

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

kept next to Ye lucky charms

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Colt Pony II.

.380 is hard to find here locally now for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Have a PPK/s in 380 and a PP in 32 ACP.  Both have been 100% reliable in sevral hundred rounds each.

Carried the PPK/s a few times –– on those "light days" . . .

Pretty cool little pocket autos.  And the girls love shootin' the "Bond" gun ! !

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#49]
I have a love/hate relationship with the PPK. I've had 3 of them. I like the way they look and feel. They are accurate with a nice SA trigger and a horrible DA trigger (I measured mine at over 20 lbs). They are heavy for pocket carry and the old one's invariably made me bleed. I got one of the new S&W made ones.....no more bleeding, but it broke right away. Something in the hammer mechanism broke and parts flew out while I was shooting it. awesome Sent it back and S&W fixed it very quickly...customer service was great. I promptly traded it straight across for a P22 for my wife.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

007's gun was a .32 not .380.

Bond's original pistol was a Beretta 418 in .25 ACP.  He had to turn it in in Dr. No for the PPK.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top