Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 3:35:35 PM EDT
I'm thinking of picking up a Crimson Trace laser grip for a S&W J-frame 337 Snubbie I recently purchased off the EE.

Any opinions on them? Good / Bad / Ugly?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that came with CT grips. My intiall view of them was that of a gimmick. Since I have gotten to know how they work,and used the pistol in low light conditions,my view has changed 180*.

The Kimber is now my bump in the night pistol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
They're badass.

My Kimber Pro Covert II has them.   Worth the $$.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've tried then numerous times at shoots, and I just can't get the hang of it. I'm actually faster with regular sights.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought one for my Ruger LCP since there are no real sight system for it. I was alittle sceptacle at first but after going to the indoor range all I can say is MONEY!! Doesn't make the pistol any more difficult to carry in the pocket and it looks sharp too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the M&P340 with the crimson trace - they kick ass
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Spend the money and get the ones you have in the picture, they sell a cheaper version without that soft rubber on the back of the grip, those little snubbies kick like a bitch, that little bit of rubber helps a bit with the recoil.

I thought they were a gimick also, until you try them in a low light/no light situation, them suckers have a serious laser.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a CT laser for my Beretta because of the inability to install night sights.  That is the only situation where I would consider a laser.  After playing with the CT for a while, I don't think it is that great.  I don't get the sense that it is really any faster than night sights, and it is completely worthless in good light.  You could pick up some bad habits depending on a laser.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]
They don't make a model for my G21 so they can go to hell
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Spend the money and get the ones you have in the picture, they sell a cheaper version without that soft rubber on the back of the grip, those little snubbies kick like a bitch, that little bit of rubber helps a bit with the recoil.

I completely disagree.

I bought a set of those in the picture and hated them.  That rubber bump totally changed the grip and point of aim for me.

2 weeks later I bought a set of the "cheaper" ones (the LG-105) and couldn't be happier.
Reason is simple, the LG-105 is an almost exact match for the profile of the stock two finger grip on the J frame.

The lasers are very nice to have on a snubbie IMO, particularly one that has a non removable sight.
My advice would be to handle the different versions for the J frame before you buy.

Take it from a guy that spent $500 on the damn things in a month.

LG-105:

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not against them. I'm faster with irons, but a few of my pistols sport them. I view lasers as the BUIS of the pistol world.

If you do get a laser, make sure it's a Crimson Trace.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the LG405s on a j frame. I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]
The terms of my CCW Permit specifically prohibits the use of visible aiming lasers
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I love them on my Kimber Pro Covert!  The range is actually pretty amazing in low light.  I was a little concerned that they would eat up batteries but I've had that pistol for several months and haven't had to change them out yet.  Honestly I don't use them very much but they are fun to play with at the range.  I'm pretty a laser aiming system on a pistol could save your life in about a million different bad shit situations.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
In before the "but a laser makes you a target for return fire" crowd.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I think they are great on J-frames. I don't care for them on anything else though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]
They have there place.
My wife has one on her Ruger LCP. It's perfect for her. It makes her feel comfortable and she shoots it well.
She doesn't have to think much, just point and aim.
Great for night use also.
I don't have them on all guns but on some.

I will add this, mine on my G27 had the rubber come loose around the switch. No reason for it. I returned to
Crimson Trace after about 1.5 years and they replaced quickly.

They are great folks to do business with.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got them on a glock 26, they rock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bought one for my Ruger LCP since there are no real sight system for it. I was alittle sceptacle at first but after going to the indoor range all I can say is MONEY!! Doesn't make the pistol any more difficult to carry in the pocket and it looks sharp too.

I'm thinking about getting the CT laser for my LCP. I don't have a laser on anything so I'm not sure how I'll like it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely disagree.

I bought a set of those in the picture and hated them.  That rubber bump totally changed the grip and point of aim for me.

2 weeks later I bought a set of the "cheaper" ones (the LG-105) and couldn't be happier.
Reason is simple, the LG-105 is an almost exact match for the profile of the stock two finger grip on the J frame.

The lasers are very nice to have on a snubbie IMO, particularly one that has a non removable sight.
My advice would be to handle the different versions for the J frame before you buy.

Take it from a guy that spent $500 on the damn things in a month.

LG-105:

http://www.crimsontrace.com/images/products/lg105.jpg

I was just the opposite, I had one of the S&W's that came right from Smith with the CT's, and they didn't have the extra rubber on the back, it was acceptable, but once I picked up a 638 without the factory CT's I got a set of the ones with the bump and really liked them.

Like you said, try and find a shop that has both and see which works for you.

Scott

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The terms of my CCW Permit specifically prohibits the use of visible aiming lasers

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm thinking of picking up a Crimson Trace laser grip for a S&W J-frame 337 Snubbie I recently purchased off the EE.

Any opinions on them? Good / Bad / Ugly?

http://crimsontrace.com/images/products/lg405.jpg

The best addition you can make to a J frame.

No question about it.

I'm a good shot, but J Frames are hard to shoot well, this thing makes ALL the difference.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Which state CCW might that be?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I have them on a berreta 92 and a glock 19. I prefer to shoot the glock withot them at the range (grip is fat). I like lasers to teach a new shooter what a good site picture looks like BEFORE we get to the range.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll let you know after my next firefight.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have them on a berreta 92 and a glock 19. I prefer to shoot the glock withot them at the range (grip is fat). I like lasers to teach a new shooter what a good site picture looks like BEFORE we get to the range.

A little off topic, but have the dog's eyebrows returned to normal yet?

Every time I see that avatar I bust out laughing

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a Kimber Custom Covert II with CT built into the grips.
This gun also has tritium irons.
I'm an iron guy at heart but in my aging years I find it harder and harder to acquire the irons - even with the tritium...

During the day (when I can see) I am a fan of the irons, at night when I can't see, I really like the Crimson Trace.

Here is a picture taken in darkness except for the 'puter and a small light behind me and then a timed flash from my camera.
For this pic the gun is empty and the magazine is in my bedroom.

The red laser dot at night is VERY visible and the iron sights that I can't see anyway don't matter.

The laser sight is useless during the day, but I don't need it during the day....

For the longest time I poo pooed laser sights - but that was when I was young and still had good eye sight.  Now I can say that I really like my CT grip sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top