Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 3:13:25 PM EDT
Am i the only one who thinks that guns with some finish wear is attractive. I am not talking about pulling a Napoleon. But as my guns get used and carried more and more i think they look better and better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I do on certain things, like my Garand or a M1 Carbine then yeah those are nice when they looked worn and used.

Certain ARs and AKs that have that war torn finish are bad ass to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Not something I lose sleep over...but if they get a big narley scratch.....I usally sell em
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
yep, someday i will post a pic of my ole Colt that is a great carry gun, its worn but great looking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Everything I have gets used so normal wear and tear is expected.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I've grown to like it on my M&P 9 carry pistol and plan to induce a bunch more wear soon.  Getting ready for a 3-day class with Rob Pincus and practicing everything ahead of time, including racking the slide one-handed with my heel!

ETA:  I'm also doing evil things like using spray paint and permanent marker to ID my mags too...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
There is just something wonderful about a gun that has been thrown down the driveway...

I know what you mean though... I like AK's that look used.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I am proud as hell of the finish I have worn off of my main hunting rifle. It shows that the thing ain't a safe queen. It is mostly on the floorplate (bolt-action), and it makes me smile every time I see that . I love finish wear on blued guns, but only when it is earned, like holster wear. On my AR, I don't much give a damn, since the thing was ugly as sin to begin with
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yep, someday i will post a pic of my ole Colt that is a great carry gun, its worn but great looking.

The best looking 1911 I've seen on this board and a few others is Lumpy's Wilson.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is just something wonderful about a gun that has been thrown down the driveway...

Sometimes you can't believe that something hasn't been posted on page one.

I can't believe this wasn't posted within the first two posts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't think to refinish a gun based on a little wear. I also wouldn't think to intentionally wear a finish.

I guess I just really don't lose too much sleep over the way my firearms look as long as they work well.

MAX
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was in the OP.    
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#13]
This is such a good opportunity for a pic thread, and I haven't seen any pictures yet...  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#14]
It doesn't bother me at all. Some people tho...

Its funny you brought this up: FROM YESTERDAY

Quoted:
You could put a pink dress on the rifle to protect the finish.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I love the look of a well cared for, used gun.  One of my favorites is Colt SAA I have that was made in 1904, it has a nickel finish that has about 10% of the finish worn off and has a great old time look to it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I love the shinny parts of my P220. That trusty gun has logged many hundreds of miles on trails and off. It's gone under water and under several feet of snow. Been in the the heat of August and the frigid hell of February. It's been pulled on 3 mountain lions, 1 bear, countless skunks, dozens of Raccoons and 1 Masshole. It has earned its wrinkles, abrasions and rust.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#17]
While we're talking about wear on a gun's finish, here's a cool site I just found about Finnish guns.

http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/MAIN.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep. My favorite firearm is my well worn P226R 9mm that I use at work. Kydex Safariland holsters do a number on a guns finish, but I like it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It was in the OP.    

Oh man, I suck, back to 1st grade (RIF).
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#20]
A little finish wear can give a gun some character, yes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Only on AKs for me, I like the rest of my guns to look pretty.

But I dont try to beat on my AKs to get them that way, I still try my best to take care of them. But as they show wear, Im not going to pretty them back up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I have some guns, Izzy LW FAL, 601 Trigger Charger, ect, that are safe queens and rarely get shot.

I have some guns, Rhodie FALs, CETME, M4, ect. that are droppable guns that I didn't bother to refinish and don't care if they get stepped on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Holster wear on a pistol or revolver Only a dependable handgun will have holster wear,I hope Rifles with wear look pretty nice to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#24]
So who has pics of Lump'y Wilson?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#25]
The wear on the Police Positive that I have was one of the reasons I decided to buy it.  To me it showed it was a trusty gun, and it made me feel less guilty for wanting to fire it  I'll post a pic of it when I can find my camera.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Am i the only one who thinks that guns with some finish wear is attractive. .

The "i" should be capitalized and since the subject is plural, the word is should be replaced with the word are.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#27]
A friend of mine has a WELL worn Luger I'd love to have. Little to no metal finish left, lots of honest wear. Dated 1923. As pretty as a Luger will get.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It doesn't bother me at all. Some people tho...

Its funny you brought this up: FROM YESTERDAY

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Am i the only one who thinks that guns with some finish wear is attractive. I am not talking about pulling a Napoleon. But as my guns get used and carried more and more i think they look better and better.

I believe the N_T effect will be felt in GD for a long long time to come....

Love him or hate him, he made his mark....
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#31]
My Glock 19(daily carry) is starting to look pretty worn. There is part of my that likes it, and there is another part of my that sees the nicks from where I dropped it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a tool, I don't care about the wear... unless it is a collectors item.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm of the opinion that I want to put the wear on a gun...I'm usually not willing to pay top $$$ for a gun ulness it's fairly pristine.

My choice...my money...

HH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top