Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 2:24:47 PM EDT
If you were planning on eating one per day, how many chickens would you need to have for the population to be self sustaining?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
you have a equation for energy of light in the avatar but you cant figure out how many chickens you need?

you need at least one Roster
than you have d=days for how many days it take to go from egg to oven
then you have c=chickens
then R= resultant

d - c = R

R must be great than c by some number to repopulate the supply appropriately with out running out
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends,  Are you planning on eating an equal amount of females to males each month?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

you have a equation for energy of light in the avatar but you cant figure out how many chickens you need?
you need at least one Roster

than you have d=days for how many days it take to go from egg to oven

then you have c=chickens

then R= resultant

d - c = R

R must be great than c by some number to repopulate the supply appropriately with out running out

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
thats a shit ton of chickens.......

even if you buy broilers, thats about 3 months to the oven each, plus you will have to maintain a flock of roosters.  Then you have to assume your hatch rate, last try for me was 30-40%.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Don't chickens contribute to global climate change...How do they fit into the  Earth Hour routine?

Maybe you should raise tofu instead....

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
So basically you want K = 1?  I don't think there's a Six Factor Formula for chickens
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It's easier just to count up all of their legs and divide by two.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So basically you want K = 1?  I don't think there's a Six Factor Formula for chickens

If K > 1 then you would have a chicken criticality, and I think we all know what THAT would mean...

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
40 brood hens, 4 rosters, and lots of chicks
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Im not really a chicken fan...except for wings.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm not really a chicken fan...except for wings.

Well chickens have two of those too!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If K > 1 then you would have a chicken criticality, and I think we all know what THAT would mean...

http://www.jacksofscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/africas-chicken-pop.jpg

K = 1 is critical, K > 1 is supercritical
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.jacksofscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/africas-chicken-pop.jpg

I'm sorry, what?  Did we diverge into rotor shaft dynamics?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#14]
America's chickens are coming home to ROAST!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, what?  Did we diverge into rotor shaft dynamics?

Just a little reactor chicken theory.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Do the chickens have large talons?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's easier just to count up all of their legs and divide by two.

That just might work.

But, FOR THE LOVE OF MAN KIND, DO NOT, FOR ANY REASON, TRY TO DIVIDE BY "0"

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I work with a lady whose family buys 100 fryer chicks every Spring.  They butcher 70-80 at about 7 weeks of age (the remainder died before butchering day).  I think that's just slightly younger than usual, but fryers start dying of heart attacks around 12 weeks.  I'm sure there are more hardy breeds but they probably don't grow as fast.

I'm raising chickens for eggs right now (first time for me, the wife's family did it when she was young).  One mature hen is supposed to lay 110-160 eggs/year, though this breed has been bred for high egg production.  You'd need a rooster, obviously.  I'd bet that a dozen mature hens and one rooster could produce enough eggs and chicks to have you eating eggs every morning and chicken every night.  You'd need the right breed, though.  Certainly two dozen would be more than enough.

Some hens won't brood - they don't sit on the eggs, so the eggs never hatch.  The embryo dies early due to lack of warmth.  At worst, you eat more eggs and fewer chickens when the hens are not feeling broody and you get a handful of chicks when they are.  Chick survival rates are nowhere near 100%.

Broody hens don't produce as many eggs, but they produce more chicks.

Predator control (fencing, a good dog) would be critical.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I work with a lady whose family buys 100 fryer chicks every Spring.  They butcher 70-80 at about 7 weeks of age (the remainder died before butchering day).  I think that's just slightly younger than usual, but fryers start dying of heart attacks around 12 weeks.  I'm sure there are more hardy breeds but they probably don't grow as fast.

I'm raising chickens for eggs right now (first time for me, the wife's family did it when she was young).  One mature hen is supposed to lay 110-160 eggs/year, though this breed has been bred for high egg production.  You'd need a rooster, obviously.  I'd bet that a dozen mature hens and one rooster could produce enough eggs and chicks to have you eating eggs every morning and chicken every night.  You'd need the right breed, though.  Certainly two dozen would be more than enough.

Some hens won't brood - they don't sit on the eggs, so the eggs never hatch.  The embryo dies early due to lack of warmth.  At worst, you eat more eggs and fewer chickens when the hens are not feeling broody and you get a handful of chicks when they are.  Chick survival rates are nowhere near 100%.

Broody hens don't produce as many eggs, but they produce more chicks.

Predator control (fencing, a good dog) would be critical.

Good info.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

classic!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

classic!

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]
And of course, it depends upon how large you want that chicken per day to be.  Figure 4.5 - 5 weeks for one the size of a "game hen" and  7 weeks for a fryer.  Don't forget that the worn-out layers would be cycled in as baking hens or soup.  If you have a "market egg layer" type hen, you would theoretically only need that one hen, if you could borrow a rooster, because they can lay more than 365 eggs in a year.  You'd need an incubator for hatching.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Try rabbit instead.  They convert feed more effeciently than chickens to put on weight, are less messy to keep and well, they reproduce very easily.  Rabbits are easier to butcher than chickens and don't make near the noise that chickens do.  

This comes from someone who has both.  We have the chickens for eggs and the rabbits for meat.  As they say, tastes just like chicken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top