Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 12:29:25 PM EDT
I know...this belongs somewhere else.  but I need a quick response.  I am sitting outside my local fun shop on my laptop right now.  inside, they have a colt A1 upper with a 20" barrel, round handguards, forward assist, no brass deflector and some kind of strange flash hider.   they are asking 375, but I can get them down to 325-350.

so, should I run back in there and grab it for a semi-retro build?  or is it overpriced?  been wanting to build a half assed representation of a  vietnam era rifle for a while.  this might work.

oh...no BCG or CH either.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Offer $275
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
New barrel on the EE is $220

figure the upper is $110-$120

Then the small parts.

So $325 would be ok, if you are wanting one.

The guy in the EE was selling them for $185 no BCG last year
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
do it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a bad deal if its not a refinish. Just remember its gonna cost you about $30-$40 to get the correct handguards and flash hider so get them down as low as you can.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it come with a carrier and bolt?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
no, no bolt or carrier.  I decided to not get it.  maybe if it sits a while they will come down a bit on the price.  gotta go back there on friday to pick up my 2 anvil arms lowers that are due to arrive anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't mind a spare A1 Upper for my M16A1.  If the barrel is OK I'd get it..

3 Drill Sergeant!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
It sounds like a large hole A1 upper to me. If so, what are you going to do with the large hole upper? It won't work on any of the lowers that are being sold today. If it's milled out on the bottom of the upper for an M16 auto-sear, then it's an M16A1 upper, which will work on the lowers being sold today. If it's not milled, then it's a large hole upper.

Left is large hole upper
Right is M16 upper
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It sounds like a large pin A1 upper to me. If so, what are you going to do with the large pin upper? It won't work on any of the lowers that are being sold today. If it's milled out on the bottom of the upper for an M16 auto-sear, then it's an M16A1 upper, which will work on the lowers being sold today. If it's not milled, then it's a large hole upper.

Left is large hole upper
Right is M16 upper
http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/searrelief_ar15_m16.jpg

I.....uh....what?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It sounds like a large pin A1 upper to me. If so, what are you going to do with the large pin upper? It won't work on any of the lowers that are being sold today. If it's milled out on the bottom of the upper for an M16 auto-sear, then it's an M16A1 upper, which will work on the lowers being sold today. If it's not milled, then it's a large hole upper.

Left is large hole upper
Right is M16 upper

I.....uh....what?

The first A2 AR15's back in the early 80's were on a SP1 large forward pin lower reciever. They had the current 20" 1/7 barrel, a forward assist, A1 sights, and round handguards. Based on the description he gave, it makes me think that the upper he described could be one of these. I just wanted to make him aware of this so he can check.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Left is large hole upper
Right is M16 upper

I.....uh....what?

The first A2 AR15's back in the early 80's were on a SP1 large forward pin lower reciever. They had the current 20" 1/7 barrel, a forward assist, A1 sights, and round handguards. Based on the description he gave, it makes me think that the upper he described could be one of these.

sounds like it might be.  I am going to have to take a closer look at it.   thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top