Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2009 9:11:21 AM EDT
I sent my wife to UPS yesterday for me to ship some ammo for an EE trade. I have been really busy lately and thought, Ill pack it up and send her to the UPS store with it and get it out for this guy.

So I pack it up, and she goes in.

While I'm working, she just left the UPS store and called me from the parking lot saying they cant ship it because its ammo.

I asked her how they knew it was ammo, she says they said the box was awfully heavy and asked what was in it, and she told them. Kinda a pain in the ass, but I wouldn't want her to lie for me. I thought it was BS that they asked though. I wish she had said it was personal.

They told her that since 9/11 it is ILLEGAL to ship ammunition!!!

I asked her to go back in the store and tell them that it is perfectly legal to ship the ammo via ground transportation, which she did. They lied to her once again and said it is totally illegal!

I wish I had been there for that.. I really do.

So she was kind enough to drive another 20 minutes out of her way to a gun shop that my friend works in. He got it on their UPS truck that afternoon. So its still on a UPS truck, and unfortunately they still got my money.

WTF is wrong with people, it is getting really hard to deal with all this stupidity.

Why cant people actually make it a practice to know their jobs and the laws regarding it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I got over UPS long ago, Fed-Ex gets my money, no problems at all with them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Never had a problem shipping ammo at my local UPS, but they have refused to ship handguns overnight
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I got over UPS long ago, Fed-Ex gets my money, no problems at all with them.

Yeah, Im pretty sure Im done with them after this most recent BS as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#4]
dont ask, dont tell

and Fuck UPS.

I use FedEx ground.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#5]
UPS Stores can't ship ORM-D items, only hubs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The Tard at my local UPS refused to ship a gun barrel. Fuck them. No more of my money for them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#7]
AFAIK the UPS Stores are not ran by UPS they are a separate company that has there own policy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not illegal, merely UPS Corporate policy, in some cases.

UPS will, for example, ship firearms. However, they cannot be shippied from a UPS Store, they must be shipped from the hub.

I don't think UPS Corp. trusts the franchises to know the laws and follow them enough to keep UPS out of hot water.

It's more WY6 than Machiavellian.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried the same thing yesterday at their hub. $90 to ship 500 rounds because according to the idiot there you can only ship ammo next day air.

I got ups to pick the ammo up at my house the same day and ship it ground for an extra $4. Just make sure to mark it ORM-D.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I sent my wife to UPS yesterday for me to ship some ammo for an EE trade. I have been really busy lately and thought, Ill pack it up and send her to the UPS store with it and get it out for this guy.

While I'm working, she just left the UPS store and called me from the parking lot saying they cant ship it because its ammo.

I asked her how they knew it was ammo, she says they said the box was awfully heavy and asked what was in it, and she told them. Kinda a pain in the ass, but I wouldn't want her to lie for me. I thought it was BS that they asked though. I wish she had said it was personal.

I asked her to go back in the store and tell them that it is perfectly legal to ship the ammo via ground transportation, which she did. They lied to her once again and said it is totally illegal!

So she was kind enough to drive another 20 minutes out of her way to a gun shop that my friend works in. He got it on their UPS truck that afternoon. So its still on a UPS truck, and unfortunately they still got my money.

WTF is wrong with people, it is getting really hard to deal with all this stupidity.

Why cant people actually make it a practice to know their jobs and the laws regarding it?

Because they don't get paid to know the law, they get paid to put labels on boxes and wait for a truck to come pick it up for them.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they don't get paid to know the law, they get paid to put labels on boxes and wait for a truck to come pick it up for them.

Then why are they asking what is in my sealed package I wish to ship via ground?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I had the same problem with UPS. Tried shipping on one side of the state. They said "no way". Came back home and they shipped it without a question.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#14]
UPS stores =/= UPS

They are privately owned "shipping stores" that pay to use the UPS association.

They usually do not ship firearms or ammo because their stores aren't "secure" or they don't want the liability.  

Private business = they can pick what they want to ship.

You, as an individual with free will, can pick where to spend your money.

ETA: Staples is the same way, they have a "UPS shipping center" but have a little sign that lists what they won't ship, one of them being firearms & ammo.  Would you really want your firearm sitting in a corner of the open store for a day or so waiting to be picked up?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bet they know it's illegal to mail certain other things.  This logic doesn't hold water.  Part of the job description includes knowing what is legal and not to ship, and under what terms and conditions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Ha, sounds like my local UPS store.  Lady wants to know what's in the box, so  I tell her firearm parts.  She says they aren't allowed to ship firearms.  I said it's just parts and is missing the receiver, thus is not a firearm and perfectly legal to ship.  She refused to ship it, but when I asked if she would ship them as machine parts she was perfectly fine with that.  She just said " don't shot me"  (her pronunciation of shoot, not mine).  I about let into her over that comment, but held my tongue, just to get the parts shipped to the Arfcommer waiting for them.  

I now just print out a label online, pay online, and drop the packages off if possible.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned from experience as well.  Also, no handguns or any guns at all there.  You have got to go to the UPS hub to ship that kind of stuff.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#19]
+1 on FedEx ground.  UPS blows goats.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Similar shit has happened to me with various shippers. I don't know if it is that the people simply don't know, they assume maybe, or they are just lying liberal assholes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1

Luckily I have a hub 2 miles away
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#22]
If you dont have a hub near you, you can arrange a pick up. On demand pick up was $4 for me.

UPS can only ship ORM-D packages from their hub or if it's picked up. You cant take it to a UPS store or drop off box.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:00:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you dont have a hub near you, you can arrange a pick up. On demand pick up was $4 for me.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What the hell is that in your avatar. I look at it everyday and it slightly freaks me out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

winnar winnar chicken dinnar
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the hell is that in your avatar. I look at it everyday and it slightly freaks me out.

Zombie bite.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zombie bite.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
send her to the UPS store

Fail.
UPS Stores don't ship guns or ammo.
You need to go to a hub or a regional office.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Do you know how easy it is to get your own UPS or Fed Ex account?

Print your own labels, and you can either drop off or have them come pick it up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Print your own labels, and you can either drop off or have them come pick it up.

No, I dont.. Or I would have done this instead.

Please enlighten me as I will be shipping more of this type of evil stuff in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Do you save any money with your own account?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I dont.. Or I would have done this instead.

Please enlighten me as I will be shipping more of this type of evil stuff in the near future.

Go to UPS.com and set up an account. Then you can do whatever you need to do directly from the website and get billed for all your shipping charges. You'll never have to leave the house.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I opened a fedex account online a few years ago. I simply fill in the address, size and weight and it prints out a paid label and charges my CC at the end of the month. Rate is ALWAYS cheaper than UPS. I just drop the boxes at my local pack and ship no questions asked. It's the best way to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#34]
UPS = good
UPS Stores = terrible
USPS = retards
FedEx = retards with lots of paperwork

My experiences
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Cops, politicians and district attorneys don't, what makes you think the high school dropout working at the UPS store does?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why are they asking what is in my sealed package I wish to ship via ground?

In case it's a HAZMAT.

For example, some douchebag tried to ship a bunch of empty oil containers, with HAZMAT stickers on them, in a box marked for paper towels, which opened up on me when I picked it up.

Management should have taken it to the authorities, but instead, they just resealed the box and sent it on it's way..

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Similar shit has happened to me with various shippers. I don't know if it is that the people simply don't know, they assume maybe, or they are just lying liberal assholes.

I had UPS give me the runaround once, and I actually had to get on a three way call with the UPS hub boss and the UPS Hazmat line in order to get things straightened out. Then after UPS Hazmat hung up, the UPS boss got very snotty with me about "making her look bad".

So, I'd say it's a combination.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Because they want to make sure they are not shipping some crazy shit that they would be liable for.  I was in shipping something a few weeks back and the person in front of me was shipping a bunch of boxes.  The UPS guy asked what he was shipping and he just said he was shipping presents to somebody.  The UPS guy said he needed something more specific, but the guy would say more.  The UPS guy told the customer to open the boxes and it was a bunch of snakes.  I shit you not.  It was some funny shit.  The UPS guy obviously wasn't expecting it.  I now know poisonous snakes can't be shipped UPS.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#39]
The UPS store is not UPS they are privately owned.  They may not be able to ship ammo you may have to go directly to a UPS customer counter
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Go to ups.com and create your own labels right there. The big brown truck will even stop by and pick it up for you.
No need to deal with those stupid shipping centers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

+1

My transaction at the hub went great.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah the UPS Stores are worthless for shipping anything other than cupcakes and towels.  I always go to the main UPS distribution hub in town - never a problem.  Ammo, firearms, receivers, etc.; never a problem once.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is correct.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#44]
one time I had to ship a lizard overnight and UPS was the only one that would do it, they even came by and picked up the box. Fed-ex gave me the runaround, fuck em.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#46]
As others have said, the policy varies from store-to-store.  I've had one store refuse to ship a muzzleloader barrel, but I've had the co-owner of another store flat-out tell me to just write "machine parts" on the package and she'll ship a handgun ground.  

I talked with her for a good half hour (it was hailing outside) and she's got her tinfoil on pretty tight.  I should have asked her what her ARFCOM screen name was.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I cant believe that so many people on here dont know the difference between UPS Stores and UPS.  Try reading the UPS regulations
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Had a similar argument with Kinko's/FedEx

Deweeb:> What's in the box?
Me:> A compensator, a barrel and a free float tube.
Dweeb:> Is this a gun?
Me:> No.
Dweeb:> We can't ship this. It's illegal.
Me:> You have no idea what you're talking about.
Dweeb:> I'll call the cops. (With an I'm putting my foot down tone)
Me:> You do that. I'll wait here.
Dweeb:> Leave the store please.

Was roundly critiqued here for giving the guy shit.

I just quit going there... Get an account and they will come pick stuff up from you directly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I tried the same thing yesterday at their hub. $90 to ship 500 rounds because according to the idiot there you can only ship ammo next day air.

I got ups to pick the ammo up at my house the same day and ship it ground for an extra $4. Just make sure to mark it ORM-D.

I just shipped 1000 rounds of .223 Silver Bear and the shipping was 28.00 and it weighed 40lbs on their scale.

I have never had any problem at all shipping a handgun or ammunition with UPS.

Most of the stories are from people who don't bother to read UPS' rules that you can only ship guns and ORM-D from a UPS hub customer service area.

Kind of hard to blame UPS if you are the one that tries to have gun stuff shipped from the "UPS Store" or some other UPS store front.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Just lie and make it easy on everyone
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top