Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 7:41:36 AM EDT

What kind of idiot would think you can download software to get a tan?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/nottinghamshire/7969758.stm

A website ironically claiming to offer users an all-year tan through their computer screens has received more than one million hits in two months.

The website Computertan.com was set up by Nottingham-based skin cancer charity Skcin to help raise awareness of the dangers of sun beds.

The site says users can download software which enables their screens to produce ultraviolet rays.

What they get is warning about the dangers of UV radiation.

Skin cancer is the most common form of the disease in young adults.

'Astonishing response'

A spokesperson from Skcin said: "This is an astonishing response and has undoubtedly helped raise awareness of the dangers of skin cancer in this country."

When users click on the "free five-minute tan trial", bars from a sun bed load up with a warning message stating, "Don't be fooled, UV rays can kill". Illustrations of skin cancers then appear.

Skcin was set up in memory of Karen Clifford, a Nottingham resident who died after a battle with skin cancer in 2005.

Mrs Clifford's family and friends worked with experts from the Queen's Medical Centre. Their goal is to "ensure that the danger of over-exposure to the sun is given greater profile with the emphasis on education resulting in the vital early detection of the disease".

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Same kind of idiot that thinks you can get herpes from a cat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
So you set up a website, claiming that you have software that will give you skin cancer. Then you get 2 million hits from people downloading what they think could give them skin cancer and you call that a success in skin cancer awareness?

Lets see, I'll create a sight that offers ocean front property in Arizona. Then I'll sell the property and claim that it was making people aware of real estate scams. Sounds good!      
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#3]
"There's a sucker born every minute"  P.T. Barnum (1810 – 1891)
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Well, to be fair, you can't equate the number of hits to equal the amount of people actually trying to download a free tan.

People click on crap just for the hilarity.

You clicked to come in here didn't you?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, to be fair, you can't equate the number of hits to equal the amount of people actually trying to download a free tan.

People click on crap just for the hilarity.

You clicked to come in here didn't you?

Nope.
I was unsuccessful in my attempt to divide by zero. The resulting vortex of space-time sucked me into this thread.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Same kind of idiot that thinks you can get herpes from a cat.

It's a good enough deterrent to tell a furry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top