Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 7:18:07 AM EDT
I've never shot corrosive ammo before, but I recently picked up a 7.62x54R, and corrosive ammo is about the only thing that makes economic sense. So...

How exactly should I clean this rifle after shooting?

I've read things about using soap & water to clean out the barrel. Is this necessary in addition to 'normal' bore cleaning with a carbon/copper solvent?

Any advice would be mucho appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#1]
go to the box of truth web site and read the method used by Old_Painless
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info! I found it. Windex & WD-40. Works for me :)

And here's a direct link for anyone else that might have the same question:

Cleaning After Using Corrosive Ammo
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I was gonna post this same thread.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You don't need the Windex, or WD-40.  All you need is water, the Corrosive Salts aren't "Neutralized" there simply rinsed off, so why waste, time, and money on chemicals?  Just poor some water down the bore, followed by a clean patch, or 2 to dry it off, then rinse the rest in the sink, then dry them off.  All the Windex does is give you a false sense of being "better" than just plain water, but all it does is help with the copper fouling because of the Ammonia, but you would need A LOT of it to properly RINSE the parts.  The WD-40 is just to protect from future corrosion, but there are far better alternatives to WD-40, like Break Free CLP.  Enjoy your new Mosin Nagant.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need the Windex, or WD-40.  All you need is water, the Corrosive Salts aren't "Neutralized" there simply rinsed off, so why waste, time, and money on chemicals?  Just poor some water down the bore, followed by a clean patch, or 2 to dry it off, then rinse the rest in the sink, then dry them off.  All the Windex does is give you a false sense of being "better" than just plain water, but all it does is help with the copper fouling because of the Ammonia, but you would need A LOT of it to properly RINSE the parts.  The WD-40 is just to protect from future corrosion, but there are far better alternatives to WD-40, like Break Free CLP.  Enjoy your new Mosin Nagant.

im with you but i use boiling watter it evaporates quicker  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
O_P's guidance just made me realize that when I was taught by my Father and Uncles to solvent clean a fire arm immediately after shooting, they had learned that shoot corrosive ammo and never changed what the knew worked.  Not oil, clean the weapon.

I think I (am a lot of others) are scared off by 'corrosive' ammo, but lots of the guns we like to shoot were originally designed for that and when used correctly handle it just fine.  Hell, I think ALL Soviet ammo was corrosive, at least I got some in the early 1990's from Tula that was marked that way.

Good educational thread

And as always, thanks Old_painless
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

/thread.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Hot water is all you need. Don't waste your time with Windex or anything else, as it's just the water in those products dissolving the salts and carrying them out. Hot water dries faster.  Then, clean as normal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Overseas I was teaching an outfit that had transitioned from Brownings to SIG 226s.  Their domestic 9mm ammo was corrosive-primed.

My counterpart showed me his well-used and well-maintained pistol and he commented on how sad he was that the bore was frosted due to light rusting.  I recommended he use standard dish soap and hot water to take off the corrosive salts and he stared at me like I had antlers growing out of my head.

He tried it, and ended up very happy.

The corrosive salts are not affected by petroleum products and are hydroscopic (they attract moisture from the humidity in the air).  Use the soap and hottest water you can find to literally wash the salts off, dry the weapon, and lube it properly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hot water is all you need. Don't waste your time with Windex or anything else, as it's just the water in those products dissolving the salts and carrying them out. Hot water dries faster.  Then, clean as normal.

In the field it can be hard to do properly, especially in a hurry.  I find a solution of ballistol and water both dissolves the salt and dries leaving an oily film that does a good job of protecting the metal.  Windex dries quickly too, and I think this is the reason it's often recommended.

I shoot a lot of old corrosive blanks a few times a year.  Others who do the same normally have an old shot out beater gun to do it with, but mine's got a nice enough barrel that I'd like keep it that way.  This stuff works like a charm even in the rain.  Other guys were showing rust in just a few hours.

Oil just pushes the salt around or covers it up, leaving a booby trap in your gunsafe that'll leave a grown man in tears.  I've seen barrels that looked like a friggin rain forest of rust after improper cleaning and a few months storage.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Pee...

Anyone know if that's BS or not?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Marine supply stores sell a product that neutralizes salt. Salt-X or something similar.  I dunk fishing reels in it and have thought of trying it on rifles.

Other than that, boiling water and a funnel.  Gets you some really funny looks from the wife.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Hot water, maybe some dawn.

If its for a mosin, who cares?  that gun has shot more corrosive ammo than you ever will and i doubt ever had the pleasure of windex.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pee...

Anyone know if that's BS or not?

Well the water would remove the sodium perchlorate salt, but it'd add it's own salt I'd think.  I'd use cool canteen water first, then make real sure it was dry and oiled afterward.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I knew a guy who had an old Garand back in the 50's when he was a kid and said he would shoot nothing but corrosive ammo cause that's all he could afford. He said he would just rinse it off with a garden hose and run it throug the barrel, let it dry then oil it. Good to go the next day.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Would water still be advised if it came from a "softened" source?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep, when I get back from the range I boil a pot of water. Hold the rifle over the toilet barrel pointing down and pour hot water down it. The hot water kills the salts and evaporates quickly. Then clean as normal for any other rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would water still be advised if it came from a "softened" source?

Yes, just be sure to dry and oil the weapon as normal afterwards.  Hose it out with hot water, dry it using patches, apply some CLP to the bore and other metal surfaces.

As for the soap, soap isn't necessary to dissolve the corrosive salts.  But, it does help loosen up carbon fouling.

In addition to the bore, depending on the weapon, sometimes it helps to clean the gas tube, piston, and bolt face with hot water too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I use Windex with ammonia.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use Windex with ammonia.

soap (not detergent, SOAP) and very hot water, cleans it out nice and slick, but also cleans out all the petrochem lubes and protectants so it does need a good lubing and oiling after.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Bolistial (sp) they sell it at brownells... It neutralized the corrosive bit and is also and cleaner, protectant, and lube. I use it on AKs, because I'm not cleaning an AK evenry time I shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Ballistol mixed with water (I mix it 50/50 with distilled water) is all you need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top