Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 7:26:50 PM EDT
A co-worker owes me $350.00, he wants to give me a Gibson J-50 acoustic guitar instead of the cash. He says it's in mint condition. I googled it and all I can find are pictures of it. Should I take it or leave it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That's almost like theft.  Take it.

I'll give you $500 for it.

ETA-  Those are nice guitars, if it is a vintage guitar it could be worth some serious money.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Get it evaluated to make sure it's genuine first. If it is, then there are two paths. You can be honest and tell your friend he could just sell the damn guitar and probably get enough to pay you at least five times over (a quick google yields prices in the range of $2,000) or you could take it and not say a word.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's almost like theft.  Take it.

I'll give you $500 for it.

It's a steal, meaning?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get it evaluated to make sure it's genuine first. If it is, then there are two paths. You can be honest and tell your friend he could just sell the damn guitar and probably get enough to pay you at least five times over (a quick google yields prices in the range of $2,000) or you could take it and not say a word.

Maybe then I should be honest with him because his dad gave to him before he past away. I know he does not play the guitar.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Have your friend sell it to me, through the EE for $350 and he can then pay you and I get the guitar.  Triple win!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]

I just read the link, I see why I should not take advantage of him.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe then I should be honest with him because his dad gave to him before he past away. I know he does not play the guitar.

Shit, if it were me, I'd tell him to keep it and find another way to get the money, since it belonged to his late dad. I know that the guitar I inherited from my uncle is one of the last things I'd ever sell if I were totally desperate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
If it was his dad's let him find another way to pay you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a Fender / Martin player, but that looks like a good deal to me. The Gibson acoustics I've seen and played were very nice. Of course, it will be worth more to you if you are a guitarist. If not, there's always internet auction sites........
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Cheapest J-50's from the 74-95 are around $800, low book, in exc. condition.

From the 60's around $2000 low book

From the 50...$2500-300

From the 40's....$3000-4000
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, if it were me, I'd tell him to keep it and find another way to get the money, since it belonged to his late dad. I know that the guitar I inherited from my uncle is one of the last things I'd ever sell if I were totally desperate.

You know, come to think of it, I should help it sell it if he wants to  go that route and if he gets what the thing is really worth then he could give me the 350 and he could keep the rest and I would not have a quilty conscious because I have to see him at work on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Vintage Price Value For 2008 :
1945 - 1949 > $4900 to $6900 ( round shoulders )
1950 - 1957 > $4100 to $5300
1958 - 1962 > $3500 to $4200
1963 - 1969 > $2500 to $3400
1969 - 1970 > $2000 to $2400 ( Square Shoulders )
1971 - 1974 > $1200 to $1800
1975 - 1999 > $1000 to $1300
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know, come to think of it, I should help it sell it if he wants to  go that route and if he gets what the thing is really worth then he could give me the 350 and he could keep the rest and I would not have a quilty conscious because I have to see him at work on a daily basis.

If he is set on selling it, this would be the way to go.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he is set on selling it, this would be the way to go.

Thanks guys, I'll see him monday and if he want to go the sell route I will lets you guitarists know....

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen, In economical times as these you need to watch out for yourself....NOTHING wrong with making a good deal for yourself..

It isn't like you made an offer to someone who didn't know the value of something..He offered you the deal you are simply accepting it..

You are not robbing him....Take the guitar and keep it or sell it and Make a profit..You deserve it !..This is how people make it in life....

Buy low...Sell High!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#17]
The fact the dude is willing to sell his late dad's guitar says a lot right there.  If you took it for $350, that would say a lot more.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen, In economical times as these you need to watch out for yourself....NOTHING wrong with making a good deal for yourself..

It isn't like you made an offer to someone who didn't know the value of something..He offered you the deal you are simply accepting it..

You are not robbing him....Take the guitar and keep it or sell it and Make a profit..You deserve it !..This is how people make it in life....

Buy low...Sell High!

I thought that when one of replies stated it had a good dollar value but, yes but my co-worker does not know what he has and I think I would feel better if I told him and he just may say take the guitar anyways.  Then I'll take it with pride.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If it was his dad's let him find another way to pay you.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#20]
That's quite a moral quagmire... he does owe you money though

It it wasn't for the dead father's guitar thing, I'd probably take it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top