Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 7:16:26 PM EDT
and are backround checks done in every state?

If so, and I would think that they are, wouldn't the ATF have a list of these guns.  And, if this list does exist, couldn't they find what dealers they are sold to. And, (i know no one wants to hear this)  wouldn't they also have a list of who bought the guns,,, meaning if you had someone buying an AK47 a day or more, wouldn't the ATF be targeting that person.
With the ammount of guns they are claming entering mexico from the US, you would have to have a shitload of people buying a couple of guns or a couple of people buying a shitload of guns.  

If that was the case(and i personally dont think it is) then the ATF would know exactly where these guns are bought and who bought them and enforce the laws we already have..

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
they keep track of where a firearm goes after it's manufactered. That's how they try and trace a firearm used in a crime.

After a private sale there usually at a dead end. Although I do remember them chasing AR sales in the D.C./ Virgina shooting a few years back to local shops ATF forms?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
That may all be true.  But Mexico won't provide any serial numbers.  This means, most likely, it's corrupt Mexican government officials selling weapons they purchased from the US Government to cartels.  And OUR government is doing what they always do.  Pointing their fingers elsewhere.  Fuckers.

Valhalla awaits the valiant.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
How they trace a gun: Gun gets used in a crime and they get the sn and maker-ATF calls mfg and finds out who the distb is-atf calls distb and asks what ffl it went to-atf calls ffl and asks who the gun was sold to.

I've been on the recieveing end.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
most of the serious Mexican shit is most likely military sales, large volume out of South America, produced in Russia, or other Eastern Bloc/Com Bloc.. countries. I really would'nt be surpised if there were no numbers at all, maybe some odd arsenal stamps?.

If there no numbers I'd suspect the next move by our leaders will have to do with Flat's/80% recievers, parts kits, ect. ect. I just as soon not think about this shit as it does'nt help my blood pressure.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How they trace a gun: Gun gets used in a crime and they get the sn and maker-ATF calls mfg and finds out who the distb is-atf calls distb and asks what ffl it went to-atf calls ffl and asks who the gun was sold to.

This... I've had traces run on a couple of my rifles.
ETA: My guns weren't used in a crime, but the PD "secured" them since they couldn't contact me and the window was broken, and their policy was to run traces on any gun they had in their lockup.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Same here

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The only firearms that we register with the ATF when they are manufactured are the ones on Form 2 (NFA toys).  The rest are simply logged into the bound book.

"Multiple purchases" only apply to handguns, not long guns, so you could buy 100 AK's at a time and the ATF wouldn't know until they started showing up at crime scenes.

As for the guns that Mexico is asking the ATF to trace, 90% of them originate in the US.  Well duh... Mexico doesn't bother to ask the ATF about the guns that are obviously manufactured in Mexico or other countries, since the ATF wouldn't have any data on them.

<–– 07/02.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top