Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:23:52 PM EDT
First off even though I work for Volvo they are fairly good cars, but a little pricy IMHO.  Now all companies have a couple of major problems, this trans, that steering rack, a always present noise.   Well Volvo has 3 that I can think of right off the top of my head.  The electronic throttle module.  it is a piece of shit sir.  I am sorry.  I did the software that is covered under the 200,000 mile and 10 year warranty.  there are a lot of steps that I have to go through to clean and get auth. to replace the fucken thing.  yes it does suck, but it is beyond my control.

second thing, Your piece of shit Leakage detection pump.  It checks the evaporite emissions system for leaks and if it draws to much current it will make your check engine light come on.  first visit I will update your software. second visit after it comes back for the same thing because they are a picky piece of shit then I can get further auth. to replace it.  yes it does suck, but I am doing all I can for you.  If I could replace it the first time I would have because I need the money.

third and biggest piece of shit because someone sitting in a soft chair thought that it would be a good Idea to take this problem free GM trans and change the software.  now after a little as 30k they are slipping and needing replaced.  and after you wait the 14 days to get one because they are on national back order you put it in and stick it in drive and the fucking thing does not even move.  again I had to run all kinds of tests and fill out a bunch of paper work just to get auth to replace this trans that they know is a piece of shit.    now I am sorry that you had to wait 15 days  to get your car back but it took 14 to get the trans. oh yeah and I had to replace your radiator, trans cooler, and all 3 hoses.  in 11 hours.  and then you give my advisor a bad CSI survay and he bitches at me.   OH and if the trans is out of warrenty it is going to cost you about 7k installed. have a nice day.

Now here I am because I got bitched at and have no fucken dog to kick.

here is 3 hours after starting, everything is removed (subframe, rack, angle gear, radiator package [has the intercooler, fan and conderser in it], transmission and starter.

same time stamp

here is about 8 hours in to the job everything is back in and waiting  on some lines and the subframe.

OH and BTW my tools are worth more then your car, and they are paid for jackass.  Yeah and I am only 20

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
wat
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

OH and BTW my tools are worth more then your car, and they are paid for jackass.  Yeah and I am only 20  

It only gets worse.  My advice?  Find another trade.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
In Minnesota, only Liberals drive Volvos.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
you are a very angry kid
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife drives a 7 year old S40, bought it for her new in 2002, still works fine, a few minor problems, but all fixed under warranty.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
you are a very angry kid

Working on cars for a living turns normal people into very angry people.

No just pissed off today. tomorrow I will be happy as a something or other smoking cigars with some buddies.

It is hard not knowing what your paycheck is going to look like next week 25 hours or 70+ you never know.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
4t65 is a gm fwd trans, how'd it get in a volvo?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My wife drives a 7 year old S40, bought it for her new in 2002, still works fine, a few minor problems, but all fixed under warranty.

Yeah those are pretty good little cars, the only thing to watch out for is the rear springs breaking, the fuel pressure regulator leaking, or in cold places you will replace the coolant temo sensor and thermostat every other year.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You shut the Hell up! His tools are worth more than your car!

In other news, I like Volvos. I had a beige one. I am alive today because (among other things) I was driving a Volvo.

It's name was Battle Wagon 2.0.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

now clue but they put it in all of the older 6 cyl's 99 to 05
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In other news, I like Volvos. I had a beige one. I am alive today because (among other things) I was driving a Volvo.

Did you drive your wife crazy in it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#14]
BTW; the reason Volvo used the 4T65 was because GM has the highest quality automatic transmissions in the world.   If they didn't BMW, Mercedes, and Chrysler wouldn't use them.   Ford uses a transmission that was designed by GM as well and uses numerous parts shared with the GM 6-speed FWD trans.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#15]
In addition; when replacing an automatic transmission that has failed - (I know the OP knows this) always flush the cooler... It's the biggest reason for repeat failures.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In addition; when replacing an automatic transmission that has failed - (I know the OP knows this) always flush the cooler... It's the biggest reason for repeat failures.

this one blew the final drive so it got a radiator cooler and lines. but volvo is not having us flush them any more just replace those parts.

You have the active 4C suspension on that S60. and that suspension stuff is easy and a good money maker.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also can you do something about the freaking electrical system, I'm getting tired of changing bulbs every month.

So what about this little problem we are having?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I never realized Volvo used GM Trans.  I had a 1992 LeSabre with the 3.8L/4T65, was a bulletproof Powertrain.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#21]
i occasionally wonder if volvo could have survived and what their cars would be like if they had not been exposed to american business philosophy. sure the styles and technologies were updated, but just about everyone i talk to believes things started going downhill once the got involved with ford.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Uh, real Volvo's drive from the back.
If God had wanted Man to have front wheel drive cars, He would have never allowed the ring and pinion to be invented.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
you are a very angry kid

Troof dat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#24]
The last Volvo I had encounters with was heap someone left at the sandpits were I go shooting. Big mistake if they were to come back to retrieve it. It had B-Holes already in it so I decided to add a few more. All glass was all intact when I rolled up upon it. No glass left when I left. I had my AR and my Ruger GP100 shooting 357mags. I took measures on the safety end of it and had a field day, it felt good to shoot some other than paper. A few week later I went back and it was gone as it was never there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I still have a '92, 960.  Got it new and drive it most every day.  I have no interest in a post-Ford Volvo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#26]
$7k for a fucking transmission, and people wonder why I drive an old Jeep.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are a very angry kid

Troof dat.

Not only that, but being a flat rate tech wrecks you for life.  12 years after leaving I still constantly think "This is taking too long, this is taking TOO DAMN LONG and I'm losing MONEY!"

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BTW; the reason Volvo used the 4T65 was because GM has the highest quality automatic transmissions in the world.   If they didn't BMW, Mercedes, and Chrysler wouldn't use them.   Ford uses a transmission that was designed by GM as well and uses numerous parts shared with the GM 6-speed FWD trans.

BMW did use it in the 99-2001 (Early model E46) 3 series. At 100,000 miles they wouldn't shift into reverse. I believe they use ZF transmissions now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BMW did use it in the 99-2001 (Early model E46) 3 series. At 100,000 miles they wouldn't shift into reverse. I believe they use ZF transmissions now.

BMW couldn't have used the 4T65.  Maybe the 4L65.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I have 2 Volvo's. My wife put 160,000 miles on a 2000 V70, now it is my daily driver, I drive 40 miles a day (180,000 on it now). Only maintenance was timing belt and brakes. It has lost some power and does not get 40 mpg that it did. Volvo told me 2 years ago it needs a knock sensor, I did not have $1000 so I just keep on driving it. Only other issue that drives me crazy is the passenger door lights come on all the time. Got to slam the door hard, I can not find the switch!!!!

She now drives a Volvo S60 AWD. She has 90,000 miles on it with only oil changes and an exhaust hanger. Volvo did replace the brake rotors and a rear wheel bearing at 18,000, no charge. Only thing about this car I wonder about is why it loves the original Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires. I replaced the original tires with all season Coopers, soon after, on a 2000 mile trip on these tires (included a lot of bad winter roads) I decided I did not want my wife driving this car with these tires on it, very bad on winter roads! I called Volvo, they suggested I stick to the original tires. Happily my tire dealer took the Coopers back and put Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires back on it and no problems. We just got back last night from a trip to visit our daughter in NC and up to PA to visit my parents. The S60 was flawless at 80mph, comfortable and great gas mileage!

Our first Volvo was a 1992 240, great car but used a transmission at about 150,000 miles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
i occasionally wonder if volvo could have survived and what their cars would be like if they had not been exposed to american business philosophy. sure the styles and technologies were updated, but just about everyone i talk to believes things started going downhill once the got involved with ford.

Not sure from the OP, but if that's the First Gen S40, it's based off of the Mitsubishi Gallant Platform and built at Nedcar in Holland.

So maybe Ford isn't on the hook for this abortion.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have 2 Volvo's. My wife put 160,000 miles on a 2000 V70, now it is my daily driver, I drive 40 miles a day (180,000 on it now). Only maintenance was timing belt and brakes. It has lost some power and does not get 40 mpg that it did. Volvo told me 2 years ago it needs a knock sensor, I did not have $1000 so I just keep on driving it. Only other issue that drives me crazy is the passenger door lights come on all the time. Got to slam the door hard, I can not find the switch!!!!

She now drives a Volvo S60 AWD. She has 90,000 miles on it with only oil changes and an exhaust hanger. Volvo did replace the brake rotors and a rear wheel bearing at 18,000, no charge. Only thing about this car I wonder about is why it loves the original Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires. I replaced the original tires with all season Coopers, soon after, on a 2000 mile trip on these tires (included a lot of bad winter roads) I decided I did not want my wife driving this car with these tires on it, very bad on winter roads! I called Volvo, they suggested I stick to the original tires. Happily my tire dealer took the Coopers back and put Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires back on it and no problems. We just got back last night from a trip to visit our daughter in NC and up to PA to visit my parents. The S60 was flawless at 80mph, comfortable and great gas mileage!

Our first Volvo was a 1992 240, great car but used a transmission at about 150,000 miles.

has your V70 had its ETM updates and the door switch is in the door lock.  also check the crank case ventilation if it is positive that could be causing some MPG loss.  you can pull the dip stick while it is running and if smoke come out then you need a PCV box or if you ask parts call it a flame trap.

and the guy said that flat rate makes you crazy. you are friggen correct.  if it took longer then what you were able to flag you took to long if it took 70% of what you flagged it was a ok job.  if you can get an hour in 15min then you are doen pretty ok.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Pearson,,Thanks for the info. I am not sure about the ETM on the V70. It did have all scheduled maintenance up to the timimg belt. The door switch in the lock??How the H#$% can I fix that
Also, as far as power, when cold it will barely move in reverse and forward,,be patient!!!. I have been told the PVC is  a cure for a lot of problems on these cars.
Again, Thank You!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#35]
WOW and ARFCOMMER drives a Volvo....you learn something new everyday
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
you are a very angry kid

Thats for damn sure. I remember being pissed of all the time at just about everything there was to be pissed off about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
volvo's

I figured 18 years ago I wanted my wife out and about driving in a safe vehicle. She is on her third Volvo and I am glad I have never reconsidered that choice!

OH,, sure,, I drive a Volvo to work everyday, BUT my toys include a 1979 F150 4X4 my father bought new for around $7000, a 1976 Ford F250 Highboy with 32k original miles, a 1984 CJ7 Laredo and 2 1974 GMC trucks.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
volvo's

The old 240 was a classic.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pearson,,Thanks for the info. I am not sure about the ETM on the V70. It did have all scheduled maintenance up to the timimg belt. The door switch in the lock??How the H#$% can I fix that
Also, as far as power, when cold it will barely move in reverse and forward,,be patient!!!. I have been told the PVC is  a cure for a lot of problems on these cars.
Again, Thank You!!

No problem pal, for the door lock you would just have to replace the whole thing.   if you want to know details how IM me and I can walk you though it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How old was it?

Only their newer models are as safe as their overhyped reputation would indicate.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
you are a very angry kid

Thats for damn sure. I remember being pissed of all the time at just about everything there was to be pissed off about.

And I thought I was just weird for feeling that way ALL the F&*%KING TIME.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top