Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:14:33 PM EDT
Starting in July, any repair shop that works on your car is required by law to check tire inflation pressure.

Maintenance shops will have to check the tire pressure of every vehicle they service under a new regulation adopted Thursday by the state Air Resources Board.

The rule takes effect July 1, 2010, and is part of the package of rules the Air Board is adopting to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It includes smog check stations, engine repair shops and oil service stations. Car wash, body and paint, and glass repair businesses are not included.

“Under-inflated tires waste fuel, cause tires to wear out prematurely and increase drivers’ safety risk,” said Dan Zielinski, senior vice president with the Rubber Manufacturers Association, which represents tire manufacturers, in a news release. “This regulation will help protect California’s environment, help consumers save money in fuel and tire costs, and help Californians optimize vehicle safety.”

The air board estimates the tire pressure rule will eliminate 700,000 metric tons of greenhouse gases per year, reduce the state’s fuel consumption by 75 million gallons annually and extend the average tire’s useful life by 4,700 miles. The air board estimates the regulation will save the average Californian $12 per year.

“Checking tire pressure is one of the many simple things that we can all do to reduce our impact on the environment, said ARB board member Barbara Riordan in a new release. “While we should do this monthly, this measure makes it convenient and regular.”

Sacramento Business Journal

Link to article
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
wont be long before they checked to see if you wiped good
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
...... california.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
i don't see a problem with it

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I was wondering how long it would take for this article to show up on arfcom

I'd like to know what CARB considers to be the proper inflation for the 315/75R16 tires on my Dodge 2500 4wd - stock tire size is 265/75R16......

My guess is the requirements will be whatever is on the door sticker or the max pressure listed on the sidewall - neither of which gives a 'flat' contact patch when there is no load in the bed of my truck.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
the article says check it, nothing about filling
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Kind of intrusive, although the science is sound.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Legislate perfection.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty much every oil change place does this already. (I couldn't change my own in L.A. as I was in an apartment)
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#10]
If I were to have my vehicle serviced and soon after my tire pressure is low, can I sue for damages?  
Lost mpg? Wear and tear on the tire?  Lost work and mental anguish over the damage to the environment?

Could I get $10 million dollars?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
welcome to the police state

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Next on the plate for CA, legislation to ensure the volume knob on the car stereo only goes to 4, instead of 11...

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Did you see that they might ban black vehicles? No joke

They absorb more heat so they work harder to keep cool. At least that's the theory.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]
as an EX-CRAZYFORNIAN and thank god!!, i dont think the stupidness of cali will EVER wear off!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They absorb more heat so they work harder to keep cool. At least that's the theory.

I saw that. Those folks are crazy!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#16]
It seems like CA can't enforce the laws they have already why make more?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

New jobs for the people too stupid to work for the TSA.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#18]
California - entertainment capital of the world!

Are you not entertained?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#20]
How is this even remotely enforceable?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Jeez, there was a time when you got that done when you got gas.
Bring back full service gas stations!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#22]

How long before it's a moving violation punishable by a $1000 fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Next on the plate for CA, legislation to ensure the volume knob on the car stereo only goes to 4, instead of 11...  

As someone who despises sub-woofered wigger rides, I welcome this law
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see the recyclable rubber glove nazi check points now. "Sir, will you please step out of you car and pull your pants down. What do we have here? Sir, did you have corn last night?"

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i don't see a problem with it

Fan of big Govt are we?  Where does it stop? In Britain they want to be able to check your fridge to make sure you are eating right.  They also want to fly IR equipped Heliocopters over homes at night to see who is using too much electricity. This is just another attempt of the Govt to intrude into peoples lives.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As someone who despises sub-woofered wigger rides, I welcome this law
Me too, a weak reference to 'Spinal Tap' on my part...

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh God, I hope a major solar storm just ends it all.  Holy fuck, how can anyone take the government seriously when they're fretting about this kind of nonsense?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#28]
With our government doing stuff like this, plus worrying about the fairness of the draft pics, major league baseball/steroids; it is reminding me of Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burned. Do they have any clue how close to the brink of disaster this country is in?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh God, I hope a major solar storm just ends it all.  Holy fuck, how can anyone take the government seriously when they're fretting about this kind of nonsense?

Nonsense? Remember when the kenyan said that if everyone would just inflate their tires and get tune ups, we could save more oil than John McCain could get by drilling. I smell Pelosi's stinking twat behind this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonsense? Remember when the kenyan said that if everyone would just inflate their tires and get tune ups, we could save more oil than John McCain could get by drilling. I smell Pelosi's stinking twat behind this.

Technically speaking, he was correct.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They're gonna set up a new branch within the California Department of Agriculture, it's under the Division of Measurement Standards (DMS), Tire Pressure Inspection Branch (TPIB).
There's an ad running on Monster.com right now, they are looking for roughly 847 inspectors.
Job starts out at $37k a year with benefits.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw that. Those folks are crazy!  

Get your pre-ban black suburbans?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#33]
So the law affects the requirement on the service shops?  Or if the shop finds that your pressure is too low, does it affect you the owner of the vehicle?

If this mandates that the shops do this, I don't see them having too many problems - I've never worked ANYWHERE where it wasn't part of the basic checks along with oil, brakes, etc.

It's a retarded law for sure, but as long as it doesn't add punitive measures to the owner/operator I don't see it as being intrusive to the general public.  This does raise questions with the ACTUAL pressure each vehicle needs bases on usage/tire size.  Another member posted about this earlier... does the shop have to correct the pressure to what the panel info in the door jamb says?

The Council rules this as retarded, but until more information can be found The Council cannot discern exactly HOW retarded it is.  

ETA:  I just did some Google-foo, and it looks like it doesn't go into effect until next year... and no one is offering specifics on the law.  Go figure, no details in the news.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're gonna set up a new branch within the California Department of Agriculture, it's under the Division of Measurement Standards (DMS), Tire Pressure Inspection Branch (TPIB).
There's an ad running on Monster.com right now, they are looking for roughly 847 inspectors.

From the same state that is so in debt and can't balance a budget that it was(is?) going to issue IOUs as tax refunds?

Clearly, California has much more pressing issues that the imminent bankruptcy and financial destruction of the state.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:14:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Great, so know something shops used to do as a courtesy will cost a mandatory $15.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:17:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
as an EX-CRAZYFORNIAN and thank god!!, i dont think the stupidness of cali will EVER wear off!!!

Well now that you have left the state.....

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:24:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:27:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Federal Law:

All new vehicles from 2007 on up have to have tire pressure monitoring systems for the vehicles to check their own tire pressure.

California is stupid.

I'd fill my tires with nitrogen and when the shops messed with it and pumped regular air into it under the California Law I'd sue that they contaminated my inert gas filled tires with California Air.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:32:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:43:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
California - entertainment capital of the world!

Are you not entertained?

I'm so entertained I'm wishing for a meteor strike on Sacramento while the legislature is in session.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:46:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, are there enough lamp posts around the assembly building for every member of the California legislature?  Perhaps "a noose and a name" display is in order here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:55:53 AM EDT
[#44]

So when is King County going to create the dishwasher police?  

(For those not in the know, King County SD has the highest ratio of Room Temperature IQ's wearing badges in the state.  This is the bunch that tried to railroad a man for murdering his wife while she almost froze to death after sliding off an icy road.  Not even a pretense of a search, just "let's find a way to arrest him now so we can get it on the evening news" after he reported her missing.  And the cops wonder why no one trusts them.  If a family member ever goes missing, I want the fire department in charge.)
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#45]
You so know that there will be a charge to check the tires that will be taxed 100%. Liberals don't mandate anything unless they know they will make money from it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they going to pay them with IOU s ???  

Im slow today     What AMHsix said
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And if you used more than three squares of tissue with each wipe.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Does that mean they will pass a law banning black people? Mike Jackson can stay.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now that you have left the state.....

yeah! another person from another fucked up state sticking up for their neighbor!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Fucking kommiefornia
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top