Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 1:31:55 PM EDT
I've been looking to buy a high cap .45 for some time now.
My local gun store has a PARA ORDNANCE 1911 in.
I believe it is the limited version, as that's what the tag says. It is a double stack with adjustable night sights.
It has hogue grips on it. I cant seem to find this exact pistol in the PARA catalog which makes me think that it is some kind of custom order.

It is for sale for $650

Is this a good pistol? Is it a good company? Someone school me a little and tell me if this would be a good purchase. It didn't appear to have been shot before, but I was in a rush and didn't get a chance to ask.

What say you arfcom?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Is Para a good gun?

Todd Jarrett thinks so.    Link

Personally, I'd never buy a double stack 1911.  It just doesn't seem like a 1911 to me.  If you want a higher capacity .45acp (shit, am I really going to say this?)>  buy a Glock 21SF.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Para P14.45 and loved it.  It was a great shooter, but that sucker was heavy when fully loaded.  As long as it's not going to be a carry gun, I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is Para a good gun?

Personally, I'd never buy a double stack 1911.  It just doesn't seem like a 1911 to me.  If you want a higher capacity .45acp (shit, am I really going to say this?)>  buy a Glock 21SF.

My thoughts exactly. The para's are great guns. But the main thing I love about 1911s is the way the handle and point. The para grips are just too wide for my tastes.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is Para a good gun?

I got to handle a 21, 21sf, 30, and 36 today, and although they were comfortable, manipulating the slide stop and such was a bit difficult.

this will be used as my carry piece. I currently carry a full size 1911 and even after carrying it all day, i hardly feel the weight. Galco makes some good holsters lol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Para a good gun?

I got to handle a 21, 21sf, 30, and 36 today, and although they were comfortable, manipulating the slide stop and such was a bit difficult.

this will be used as my carry piece. I currently carry a full size 1911 and even after carrying it all day, i hardly feel the weight. Galco makes some good holsters lol.

IMHO, you couldn't have said that any better.  I'm a big Galco and DeSantis fan.  As far as the double stack goes, they're cool but my guess would be that the resale value would be minimal and there are better pistols in .45 acp to be had.  I saw (and handled) a Kimber doublestack at my local gun store and they had like $200 off of it b/ they were having a hard time selling it.  I inquired about it and a guy the helps me out quite a bit replied "you don't want that".  I took his word.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
bump, looking for more opinions and info.

From what I have read so far online, PARA is pretty well respected. How is their customer service? Besides the few MIM parts thay use, is there anything about the PARA double stack design that I should worry about? Does anyone have any range experience with their double stacks?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Para a good gun?

My thoughts exactly. The para's are great guns. But the main thing I love about 1911s is the way the handle and point. The para grips are just too wide for my tastes.

It looks like the PARA can use regular 1911 grips that have been filed down to fit the frame. Is this true?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top