Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/27/2009 1:18:04 PM EDT
I am picking up an AR here real soon.  My girl friend of many years(we own a house together) is pissed at me for wanting to get another gun.  I have had gun all my life until I moved to St Louis 15 years ago.  Back in NH with my brother I have a .22 mag revolver, a .357 mag lever action saddle gun(got it when my grandfather died) and a Remington semi auto 30.06 hunting rifle(it was my dad's).   I was on a competitive .22 rifle team in high school and many times I had to take the rifle to class because of leaving for meets right after classes got out. I can handle a gun better than most. I didn't take any rifles to St Louis because I was not secure with my living arrangements.  I just bought a .40 XDM and she went off the deep end. I TOLD her that I was going to get an AR before the ban(I have always wanted one) and she said that she does not want it in the house.  I think I am going to have a friend up the street hold if for a while until she calms down.  How has anyone else handled this before.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
this should be good
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Screw her!  No really...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy two ARs, a shit-ton of ammo, and a few pistols.  Kick the GF to the curb.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell her not to let the door hit her in the ass on the way out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If she is your G/F of several years and you have a house together, why isn't she your wife?  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
In before good advice is ignored.  I love these threads.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, I forgot... post pics of your G/F or get out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I couldn't have a relationship with someone who has an irrational fear of inanimate objects.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thread over.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, you can go one of two ways with it.  If you want to be the submissive in the relationship, you can have your friend keep it and just never tell her about it.  If you're the dominant in the relationship, tell her its your house too and you WILL NOT be unable to protect your family in your own house just because she doesn't like it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I would say eject, but you both own the house. It's kinda hard to kick her out. All I can say is good luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Does she at least let you have your balls on every other weekend? Or is it supervised visits only?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
We are going to need pictures of the girlfriend before any advice can be offered.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am picking up an AR here real soon.  My girl friend of many years(we own a house together) is pissed at me for wanting to get another gun.  I have had gun all my life until I moved to St Louis 15 years ago.  Back in NH with my brother I have a .22 mag revolver, a .357 mag lever action saddle gun(got it when my grandfather died) and a Remington semi auto 30.06 hunting rifle(it was my dad's).   I was on a competitive .22 rifle team in high school and many times I had to take the rifle to class because of leaving for meets right after classes got out. I can handle a gun better than most. I didn't take any rifles to St Louis because I was not secure with my living arrangements.  I just bought a .40 XDM and she went off the deep end. I TOLD her that I was going to get an AR before the ban(I have always wanted one) and she said that she does not want it in the house. I think I am going to have a friend up the street hold if for a while until she calms down.  How has anyone else handled this before.

Probably not the first hint of irrationality.  Go ahead and bail now.  Before marriage or kids.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
She's afraid, just as Hollywood and the media trained her.  

Take the fear out of it by bringing her to the range, have her shoot a .22 or 9mm.  Tell her that you'll keep the gun's in the house unloaded and locked up (even tell her that you'll disassemble them if that'll shut her up)....after she realizes that owning a gun, or having on in the house doesn't turn you into a serial killer, take them out once in a while....clean your handgun in front of her, and slowly lull her back into reality that guns are just mechanical pieces of metal/plastic, not a personality changing tool of death.

I followed the above procedure when my GF and I started dating.  Growing up in liberal NJ, she had never even seen a gun in person (aside from one holstered on a cops hip) and was already inclined to be fearful of firearms.  Fast forward 6 years, she still doesn't love to go shooting, but she understands why I own them, and feels safer knowing she can protect herself if something were to occur while i'm not home.  She's come quite a long way...even purchasing me a Romanian SAR1 for Christmas.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Get real pissed and act like a little bitch the next time she buys a $500 pair of shoes.  When she asks WTF is wrong with you, say, "I learned this type of behavior from you."

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]
In.

Who's money? Her money? No? Then tell her to STFU.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't have a relationship with someone who has an irrational fear of inanimate objects.

No shit, thats a surefire sign of a moonbat.

GTFO before you get her knocked up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does she at least let you have your balls on every other weekend? Or is it supervised visits only?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
She's threatened by your manliness. Show her you are the alpha then post pics.

Oh, if you need to know how to show a woman you are the alpha - you just piss all over her side of the bed or couch or both if she doesn't get the hint.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am picking up an AR here real soon.  My girl friend of many years(we own a house together) is pissed at me for wanting to get another gun.  I have had gun all my life until I moved to St Louis 15 years ago.  Back in NH with my brother I have a .22 mag revolver, a .357 mag lever action saddle gun(got it when my grandfather died) and a Remington semi auto 30.06 hunting rifle(it was my dad's).   I was on a competitive .22 rifle team in high school and many times I had to take the rifle to class because of leaving for meets right after classes got out. I can handle a gun better than most. I didn't take any rifles to St Louis because I was not secure with my living arrangements.  I just bought a .40 XDM and she went off the deep end. I TOLD her that I was going to get an AR before the ban(I have always wanted one) and she said that she does not want it in the house.  I think I am going to have a friend up the street hold if for a while until she calms down.  How has anyone else handled this before.

There are 150 million females out there and not a single one is worth your self respect.

Unless you want to be one of those whipped guys who never get their way and have to beg for everything in a relationship just go get it.

What she does is up to her.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you afford the AR?  If not, and you're in debt, then perhaps she has a case.  If you can afford it, and bills are paid, then what's her problem?

It's your money, right?  Spend it how you want.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#24]
You own a house with a G/F? Fucking fail...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#25]
pics required to make judgement.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If she is your G/F of several years and you have a house together, why isn't she your wife?  

..well it seems like he might have made a good decision not to go that route.

This way will be a much cheaper departure
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#27]
In a very nice way, tell er tough shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck her! My Wife tells me if I have not bought a new AR, AK, Glock yet for the week I better get my ass to the store and buy one! She CCW's more then I do also........I love my wife.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Eject you'll be glad you did, or walk over to the closet and point out how many shoes/purses/shit she's got in there. Then proceed to explain to her that you have a mother you don't need another one. Oh and whip it out and tell her to suck it so you don't have to listen to her whiny bitchy voice!

Then SIIHPAPP!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell her it doesn't shit on the floor, you don't have to change a litter box, and it doesn't keep the neighbors up at all hours.

In all seriousness is it the fact that it is a firearm or the amount/timing of the purchase?

If it is about the firearm in general you can handle it many different ways. I never understood guys who "asked permission" to protect his family from the wife. Show her a bunch of Stickman photos. These generally get many people to start thinking especially women.

If it is the $$ or the timing, that is a domestic issue and depends on how you handle finances. If you have little debt and pay all your bills it's your money. I don't give my wife hell for buying shoes or another ring, and likewise about guns.

It is always better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission.

I would not get involved with a woman who was close minded about guns in the first place. Too much other pie out there. Make your own choices dude and act like a man. I won't go spending the rent on a gun, I will let me wife know I bought something as a courtesy. She would get pissed if I HID it, not if I got it and the bills were paid.

Don't know your situation or your chick. God help you if she is a flaming liberal. I'd tell her she will go before the gun does. I wouldn't live with a person who was opposed to it. You can sit down like adults and discuss it. Don't let her dominate or frame the debate, and don't bother with statistics. Work the emotional angle, you just want to protect her... you FEEL you need this because of rising crime due to the economy, work emotional arguments, they DONT CARE about the logical arguments.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#32]
She's your girlfriend NOT your mommy––––––––––––––––––––––––-buy WTF you want...!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Dayum. I don't know what people are thinking when they buy a house with a girlfriend.

If the two of you aren't committed enough to get married, why would you purcase a house together?  

Sorry for my un-profanity laced, very short rant.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My answer is a polite but firm "My guns are not negotiable."  I'll have what I have.  They will be safely secured, but I'm not going to negotiate on quantity/quality.  I'm not going to sell them because she thinks I have too many.  If she can't handle that, one of us needs to find the door because she's not the right person for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn, I wanted to be in before the eject picture
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

..well it seems like he might have made a good decision not to go that route.

This way will be a much cheaper departure

/Agree

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Fuck yes.  Tell her to suck it and literally never speak to her again
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Get the gun,bring it home. if she leaves over the gun you dont need her any way. she must be a Democrat,
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I am the man of the house and I am responsible, in addition to many other things, for the safety of my family. I take the job seriously. I buy the tools needed to do the job effectively. There are no other options. I love my wife dearly, but it will be a cold day in hell when I allow myself to be emasculated by any woman. Abandon these effete urban sensibilities immediately and hold fast to your man card!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Take her shooting with the AR someday and tell her it's a friends. Then after she has a fun day at the range, she'll tell you "ok," at which point you let her know you've already bought the rifle and in fact it was the one she was just shooting.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck it. Buy the shit and keep it at the house she'll only be mad for a little bit go lay it on her. See  you get some and you got a another rifle. Or put it on her and then bust out with the rifle lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Please tell us you'll never marry her and you're going to buy her out of house ownership.

HH
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Just wait to see how upset she gets when you dump the bitch and get a new improved model.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You own a house with a G/F? Fucking fail...

This...

Oh, and GTFO!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Man up ... your already in ... owning a house with someone ... community property state?  In Texas you would be common law married already.  If it's the case where you are ... your hung.  If not ... no time like the present to decide how you will handle the rest of your life.  No point in hiding shit.  Your either in or out and she's either behind you or not.  Better to know now than later.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Have a friend stage a break in when you are on your way home, she will get all freaked out and then you can have as many guns are you want. Hell, she will likely start wanting her own guns! FTW!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#47]
OP, no offense but you are a grown human being and not someone's dolly.  A good relationship is founded on being able to be yourself and have that respected, imo.

Tell your girl that if she wants you as you are then she has to accept the guns––offer to educate her about them, perhaps.  If she can't do that, then I think it's time to move on.  May have to mean giving up being with her, or finding new living arrangements, but from my experience that is a small price to pay for being happy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#48]
The choice is a simple one. Either be the man of the house or let her keep your balls in a jar.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:40:11 PM EDT
[#49]
All your page 2 are belong to mine.

MEGAFAIL!!

Honestly dude, either the guns are more important to you, or the girl. Most folks here would rather ditch the girl than the guns and keep their mancard. I don't blame them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Ask her why she is against it. Then construct a logical argument that requires her participation in convincing you to get rid of the gun. Logic indicates that she will fail to find a substansive reason for her demands, and will give you opertunities to reason her to your point of view.

I think she is emotional about this from ignorance; she would not want to be called a bigot, not even in her own mind, so this may educate her and change her opinions. If it does not, or if you fail, then this relationship is doomed. She will loose your trust sooner or later, and you will loose your respect for her.

Try.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top