Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2009 11:30:27 AM EDT
How long until you were able to relax after bringing baby home? I'm completely on edge worrying if I'm doing everything right. He saw the Ped yesterday, and all is great. The problem is me. How did you cope?

Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I plan on using beer.

My wife is due with our son on June 17th.

It is our first.
So this is a tag.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
You're toast, you will never relax again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Just relax.  You're not going to break him.

They're not nearly as fragile as 1st time parents think.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Question for dad's what?  His hammer?  Hammers can't respond to questions very easily.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Fatigue.

I remember our first baby the first day:  I just lay on the bed with my clothes on that night, and every time the baby made a sound I was wide awake and checking things out.

Within two days I was sleeping through her crying, since my wife had things well in hand –– and there was nothing I could do anyway (i.e., breast-feeding).

Best wishes and don't sweat it.  Baby stuff is, well, baby stuff.  By the time you need serious parent-fu, you'll have been gently brought along the learning curve and will be as well-prepared as anyone could be for the teen years and their "exciting challenges."  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Question for dad's what?  His hammer?  Hammers can't respond to questions very easily.

Shit, see I'm slipping. This is my first bust by a grammar Nazi.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]
My son's are 6 and 13, I haven't quit worrying yet.  

I had to drive home at night in a snow storm a few weeks ago and my mom made me call her when I got home safe, I'm 33. I don't think you ever quit worrying about your children.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
You'll figure out how to relax on the second one.  Until then, focus on just doing things good enough not perfect.  The odds are low you'll kill him no matter how much stuff you forget or screw up.  Forget about yourself Dad.  You'll live through it too.  

Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
after ten kids and raing them for thirty years before the baby left for university, i can tell you you will need to yell HELP alot
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
About 18 more years, brew.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#12]
My son is 8 yo now, but I can remember when we brought him home from the hospital my wife and I kept waking up at least once an hour just to check and see if he was still breathing (he was healthy, nothing wrong with him, we were just newbie parents).  After a couple of months of this, my mother-in-law (who bore 6 children), share this little gem of wisdom with us:  "Babies aren't made out of glass".  In other words:  By all means take reasonable care, but don't stress out over it.  Having said that, I think it wasn't until he was 4 or 5 months old before my wife and I relaxed into the parenting role.  But I feel for you, my friend, first babies are scary as shit... we're all parental amateurs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My son's are 6 and 13, I haven't quit worrying yet.  

I had to drive home at night in a snow storm a few weeks ago and my mom made me call her when I got home safe, I'm 33.  I don't think you ever quit worrying about your children.

Your son's what are 6 and 13?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fatigue.

I remember our first baby the first day:  I just lay on the bed with my clothes on that night, and every time the baby made a sound I was wide awake and checking things out.

Within two days I was sleeping through her crying, since my wife had things well in hand –– and there was nothing I could do anyway (i.e., breast-feeding).

Best wishes and don't sweat it.  Baby stuff is, well, baby stuff.  By the time you need serious parent-fu, you'll have been gently brought along the learning curve and will be as well-prepared as anyone could be for the teen years and their "exciting challenges."  

Mom had a rough time (blood loss, surgeries, etc) so I was playing mom, and dad for the first few days. I lost 15lbs (I can stand to lose more), and have slept 10 hours since last Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#15]
You don't stop worrying, ever, but you get so used to the worry that it's normal around 8 months old, generally.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#17]
The first baby is a stresser.  The second one is a snap.  It'll get better and you'll be a pro in no time.  The worrying never stops tho.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How long until you were able to relax after bringing baby home?

I began to relax (a little) when my little tyke started all-day school in 1st grade.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#19]
When they go to college?

I don't know.  Mine are 7 and 9 and I'm not relaxing yet.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, see I'm slipping. This is my first bust by a grammar Nazi.

In other words, I have nothing worthwhile to add.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How long until you were able to relax after bringing baby home?

I began to relax (a little) when my little tyke started all-day school in 1st grade.

Sending them to school made me worry even more.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Just remember that babies cry.  And cry and cry and cry.  Did I mention that they cry alot?  They cry when you are watching TV.  They cry when you are trying to eat dinner,  And most importantly they cry at 3:00 AM when you are trying to get some sleep for that big day at work.  Learn to appreciate the crying when you can, and tune it out when you cant.  Dont let the crying stress you out.

Get as much sleep as you can and whenever you can.  Work out deals with your wife where you take turns watching the baby while the other one sleeps.

And yes, babies are tougher than you think.  Just dont drop them on their head on the kitchen floor and you should be all set.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#23]
It never ends my friend.I know this much for sure 5 year old boys should be issued helmets from the doctor.If it helps my wife would not could not change my sons clothes for the first few days,that was my job,she was afraid she would "break" him.We both just figured out to relax and found our groove.But the worry is there for lack of a better term "till the day you die".But the hugs and smiles are beyond worth it.Good luck and enjoy every moment they grow up very fast.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#24]
My boy is a little over 2.  At times he still gets poked while sleeping to make sure he's breathing.  Everything will be fine, babies are very resilient.  I really never slept peacefully until he started sleeping though the night.  That was when he was about 12 weeks old(I think).
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I plan on using beer.

My wife is due with our son on June 17th.

It is our first.
So this is a tag.

The hard part will be finding a nipple that fits the bottle.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Daughter just turned 2.

I'll let you know if I ever stop worrying.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fatigue.

Mom had a rough time (blood loss, surgeries, etc) so I was playing mom, and dad for the first few days. I lost 15lbs (I can stand to lose more), and have slept 10 hours since last Saturday.

You're already relaxing, if Condition RED has been lowered enough for you to post here.  Seriously.

To put my first comment in context, our first delivery was hairy.  Really, really hairy.  There was a moment there that the consensus in the room was grim, and I thought I was losing both of them.  But mom and daughter are still here, 25+ years later.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I have three kids, 13 year old girl, 9 year old boy and 4 year old girl. I have forgot what it was like to truly relax. It will be fine though, believe it or not the joy really does out weight the pain.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#29]
It doesn't take too long.  Hints inbound...

1) Babys like being held, dads like sitting in a recliner watching the toob, babys don't care what's on...

2) Hold them firmly.  I'll never understand how a man who would not drop a football under any circumstance carries a baby like it's a loaf of bread.  Babys like to be held.

3) Diapers only stink if they belong to someone else's kid.

4) Don't sweat the small stuff.  Babies don't care if the house is dusted and swept perfectly.  Laundry and ironing bore them beyond description.  Babies don't make a big deal out of dishes sitting in the sink.  They do like to be held.  

5) Nothing is more important than a baby as far as that baby is concerned.  You might as well enjoy being his servant.

6) Don't expect Mom to do it all.  She also needs time to kick back and just enjoy being Mom.  Did you know you can fold laundry while watching football?  Works for almost anything on the toob.  As long as you're putting up laundry, Mom will think you're the hottest thing since Erroll Flynn.

7) Be Dad.  You know, the guy who is always there, always patient, loving unconditionally, and giving to the point of death.  It's a great job.  Don't mess it up because Junior gets to pick your rest home.

8) Take time to still be in Love with your wife.  The harder it gets the harder you have to work at it.  Let Junior know how much you love his Mommy.  Let the whole darned world know.  

9) Take Junior with you when you are out running errands.  Babies dig that kind of thing for some reason.  Perhaps it's because they like to be held?

10) Be flexible.  Babies can't tell time.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Good work my man!  You never really "stop" worrying about them, but every day that passes now will give you confidence that the miracle you have made with your wife is real, and he's not going anywhere.  Try to get some rest bro.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When they go to college?

I don't know.  Mine are 7 and 9 and I'm not relaxing yet.....

You will NOT relax when they go to college! Believe me, you won't.

You just have to accept less information and less access and be more trusting.

It NEVER gets "easy" unless you just quit and desert them, which I would NEVER do.

So just accept that it NEVER gets "easy.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#34]
You'll never relax completely now, not like you used to.  There's a brand new worry to occupy your mind.  

It's not bad, just something to get used to.  You have a new life in your hands.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How long until you were able to relax after bringing baby home? I'm completely on edge worrying if I'm doing everything right. He saw the Ped yesterday, and all is great. The problem is me. How did you cope?

Any help would be great.

You have a Son, relax use beer.  

I've a Daughter, I'll use something a bit heavier.........
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

< snip >

Great list/post, but you forgot an important one:

- There is absolutely nothing "magical" about a Diaper Genie...

Made someone "magically" hand over hard earned cash.  The ones that take normal kitchen bags are the best.  They have a little trap that squeezes the bag shut.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#37]
When the second one was born I relaxed.  The first is all new ground, I still remember how nervous I was with my first and she is almost 19 now...................  Good luck
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just relax.  You're not going to break him.

They're not nearly as fragile as 1st time parents think.

+1

Kids are amazingly durable within reason.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It doesn't take too long.  Hints inbound...

1) Babys like being held, dads like sitting in a recliner watching the toob, babys don't care what's on...

2) Hold them firmly.  I'll never understand how a man who would not drop a football under any circumstance carries a baby like it's a loaf of bread.  Babys like to be held.

3) Diapers only stink if they belong to someone else's kid.

4) Don't sweat the small stuff.  Babies don't care if the house is dusted and swept perfectly.  Laundry and ironing bore them beyond description.  Babies don't make a big deal out of dishes sitting in the sink.  They do like to be held.  

5) Nothing is more important than a baby as far as that baby is concerned.  You might as well enjoy being his servant.

6) Don't expect Mom to do it all.  She also needs time to kick back and just enjoy being Mom.  Did you know you can fold laundry while watching football?  Works for almost anything on the toob.  As long as you're putting up laundry, Mom will think you're the hottest thing since Erroll Flynn.

7) Be Dad.  You know, the guy who is always there, always patient, loving unconditionally, and giving to the point of death.  It's a great job.  Don't mess it up because Junior gets to pick your rest home.

8) Take time to still be in Love with your wife.  The harder it gets the harder you have to work at it.  Let Junior know how much you love his Mommy.  Let the whole darned world know.  

9) Take Junior with you when you are out running errands.  Babies dig that kind of thing for some reason.  Perhaps it's because they like to be held?

10) Be flexible.  Babies can't tell time.

VERY, VERY GOOD ADVICE ! Babies just love to hang out with Mom & Dad. They especially like "doing" errands. So much to see. It will get both you and them lots of attention. Babies REALLY like attention. Take them with you everywhere. They like being with you.

They don't break easily, but be careful.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any help would be great.

First born: until the second is born

Second baby: about 2 weeks

Third baby: until you get him/her home

It is natural to worry. You, the mom and the baby will do fine!

+1 this is so true, unless of course your  in my situation and you have three girls, then your worry just changes in content as they get older.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

One more thing –– don't fall asleep holding the baby in a recliner or on a couch.  Ever.  Trust me on this.

Uhh, no. Explain.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You're toast, you will never relax again.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I've always had the attitude that unless you wind up in some horrible million-to-one medical drama, everything will work itself out, just use common sense and it'll be fine. Which is very good.  How long was it until I could "relax"? We're going on almost five years now, and so far the answer has been "never".

http://www.walkowiaks.com/images/June%202006/The%20Girls/All%20four%20after%20birthday%20cake.jpg

So I have to agree with everyone who says "just roll with it", and being exhausted will overtake being nervous quickly enough. About a month after we had our second set of twin girls home from the hospital, their eleven month older twin sisters were still getting up during the night I hit what I'll call "the wall". "Going to work" was no excuse for me as Mrs. Dual couldn't take care of all four herself in the dark, and she had to be up to take care of them during the day too.

I was so tired, one night, I only half woke up to them crying, dreamed I made a quick detour to the bathroom to relieve myself before picking up a pair of girls, and wound up pissing the bed for the first time in over 27 years.

We were both pretty for about a year, we just accepted it, went with it, because we knew it wasn't forever.

And yeah, we stripped all the furniture out of the first floor of the house, covered it with play-foam, and put that safety-gate into the kitchen pass-through window for a REASON.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#44]
As others have said...  Being a dad is the end of a stress free life.  After a few months my MIL came to take him overnight so my wife and I could relax....  I was all good until I saw the car drive away.  I actually got sad and worrisome for my lil son's safety...

Now that he's a toddler, I am saving his life every 30 seconds....  He's in the cupboards, he's playing with wires... Yeah... Its very stressful, but its fulfilling at the same time!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

+1 this is so true, unless of course your  in my situation and you have three girls, then your worry just changes in content as they get older.

QFMFT

I have 2 daughters.  I know what you mean.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Well were on 14 years now,havent relaxed there is always something out there to hurt them.......Maybe at 22years I wont worry as much...but I doubt it...Im 40 and my parents still call to check to see how Im doing...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Two sons - 20 (in college) and almost 17 (high school).

You will never again fully relax.  But, wow.... it's worth it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, you will be ok...... I drove like a damn grandmother on my way home from the hospital with the first kid.  They are pretty damn tuff, I know cause #1 likes to use #2 as punching bag when we aren't looking.  They are only 3(oldest) and 6months(youngest) and I haven't broken one yet.  You're good man, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How long until you were able to relax after bringing baby home? ...............

For me, never.

I still worry about my kids.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top