Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 8:13:36 AM EDT
What is your view on buying only products that are made your country of origin?

For instance,  in the USA we have people who say we should only buy American.

Do you feel this way because of patriotism and support with your country?

Do you think that such a practice has a part in helping the economy?

Do you think that these purchases should relate to everything, or only major engineering products such as lawnmowers, cars, guns, etc.

Do you think that we should just look out for our wallets and pallets, and buy whatever is cheaper, or best quality, depending on our preferences?

Just tell me why you think we as US citizens, should or should not only buy American.

If you live in a different country, tell me about your thoughts on the matter with your own country.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think this way.  In my view anyone should be able to buy what they want based on their own personal preferences.

Being "patriotic" by buying "American" is a dubious concept anyway.  A lot of Un-American stuff goes on right here, and buying "American" supports it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]
even if i felt otherwise, we all need to buy american to boost our economy
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#3]
i'd love to buy american...many things are either not available, or the cost/benefit ratio is absurd (if it benefits causes that are unamerican, or the cost to me outweighs the benefit to me or America).
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Being "patriotic" by buying "American" is a dubious concept anyway.  A lot of Un-American stuff goes on right here, and buying "American" supports it.

+1

I buy local, generally from family run businesses that have values that I support, when I can.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I would prefer to buy American, but there are situations when I can't or won't.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I will not buy a vehicle from the Big 3.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I only buy what Messiah Obama instructs me to buy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Buying American isn't as cut & dried as some would make seem. Lots of foreign products are made here in the states, creating jobs, buying local materials, etc. Even those that aren't still impact the US economy in plenty of other ways.

But yes - in general - if I have a clear-cut choice between an American-made product & something else, I'll run w/ the former.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to go out of my way by paying a little more for a product that said made in the U.S.A.

Now after seeing how the American Unions have turned towards communism and back the democratic party 100%, I go out of my way not to support a union member.

That being said, if a product is made in a non-union, American shop, I will buy it over foreign made goods every time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#11]
France still makes great wine and Italy still makes great shoes.  But Tennessee makes the best whiskey, so I buy it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I try to always buy the best quality products I can.  If they're made in America, that's great.  If not, then Americans ought to get their asses in gear and improve the quality of their products.

I'm not going to sacrifice quality and performance just so some jackasses that do a shitty job and create a shitty product can stay employed, and continue to make shitty products.  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I buy whatever is the best product for the money I am willing to spend.  If that is an American product, good.  If its not, oh well.  Obviously if its extremelly close I buy the American product.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is your view on buying only products that are made your country of origin?

For instance,  in the USA we have people who say we should only buy American.

Do you feel this way because of patriotism and support with your country?

Do you think that such a practice has a part in helping the economy?

Do you think that these purchases should relate to everything, or only major engineering products such as lawnmowers, cars, guns, etc.

Do you think that we should just look out for our wallets and pallets, and buy whatever is cheaper, or best quality, depending on our preferences?

Just tell me why you think we as US citizens, should or should not only buy American.

If you live in a different country, tell me about your thoughts on the matter with your own country.

The best practice for all involved is to buy the cheapest product that delivers acceptable quality & performance for your application.

Buying a more expensive product based on where it's made only encourages failure in that nation's economy by subsidizing inefficiency & waste...

And of course, most people will not buy a product where the quality is so poor it cannot perform the task for which they are purchasing it, so 'quality' is a self correcting issue...

I do not, for instance, need a genuine 'CherryMax' pneumatic pop-rivet gun for the limited amount of riveting I do - a Chinese model from HarborFreight does just fine...

However, the Army uses the fuck out of their pop-riveters, so buying a better model makes sense for them....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#16]
It must be personally endorsed by the baby Jesus or I don't buy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#17]
For me it is a balance between "Look for the best quality from anywhere" and
"Look for the cheapest prices from anywhere". I don't give a shit where it was made.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For me it is a balance between "Look for the best quality from anywhere" and"Look for the cheapest prices from anywhere". I don't give a shit where it was made.

+1

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#19]
i prefer to buy local or american:

one can not buy any goods if they dont have a job so, id rather keep people like myself employed than some coolie in a turd world country.

always take care of your own.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I try to always buy the best quality products I can.  If they're made in America, that's great.  If not, then Americans ought to get their asses in gear and improve the quality of their products.

That's what I was thinking
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Best Product, no matter where it is from. (See automobiles)
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I buy the best quality product for my needs at the cheapest price.  I don't care where it's made so much as I want it to be something that will be useful to me.  The only things I only buy American on is food because the quality tends to be considerably better.  I like to buy American, but I'm not going to encourage inefficiency to remain "patriotic" or to help "local" employees.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Best and/or cheapest (as appropriate) from wherever. This helps the economy, as it most wisely spends American dollars. If someone else can build better or cheaper widgets than we can, it makes sense to buy them and utilize our labor for other purposes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#24]
It's not like we have a lot of choices anymore. Just what in the hell do we make anymore?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I voted to look for the best quality and cheapest prices.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I avoid American union made stuff whenever possible
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I buy American products when the company manufacturing them actually displays pride in their product. I don't feel obligated to buy an American car when the automakers are knowingly putting out inferior cars.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i prefer to buy local or american:

one can not buy any goods if they dont have a job so, id rather keep people like myself employed than some coolie in a turd world country.

always take care of your own.

If you don't use location as a buying factor, this sorts itself out too...

People will be forced to improve themselves, and find jobs where they are not competing with a 3rd world labor pool.

Jobs that don't involve manufacturing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#29]
How about BUY MONTANAN?

"Made in Montana Stays in Montana" I would pay extra taxes to the state of Montana if this becomes reality.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I voted "look for the best quailty" but what I really look for is the best value.   I want the best price:performance ratio I can get.

Given similar value, I prefer to buy American.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I buy local first, Oklahoma second, then American. One day, as we give up our absolute advantage for so-called comparative advantage y'all will understand.  Just takes a few generations until it works itself into 3rd worldism  and 50% unemployment.

It's already started, finally, after about 30 years - Americans live on debt both governmental and personal and it's at it's end.

Guys like economist Paul Craig Roberts, Lou Dobbs and Pat Buchanan warned you of everything we are seeing today over 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Buy what works best.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quality works for me.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Buy the best quality product that fits your budget.  

There were millions of Americans that bought US built cars to "support US companies", and were only cheating themselves.  Detroit made shitboxes that were inferior to Euro/Japanese cars for years and ignored the US consumer thinking we'd buy their crap simply b/c we always did in the past.  Only when the Japanese began to seriously take market share did they get their house in order. In fact, the introduction of Japanese cars into our market was the best thing for our both Detroit and the US consumer. I believe the US cars are just as good as most Japanese, and take the CTS, G8, Corvette, and the big3 pickups...but only the competition from the Japanese gave them the initiative to produce higher quality vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I buy local, generally from family run businesses that have values that I support, when I can.

+1

...to both of you
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Very much prefer American made, but:

Just bought a Hyundai Sonata, due to the large rebates, and walkaway purchase program for the first year. And the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I buy the best quality, regardless of where it's made.

I thought I was being "MISTER PATRIOTIC" when I bought my Chevy Z-71, 1500 a few years ago, only to read that it was built in CANADA.

Oh, well. Even if you buy a car made in a foreign country, the sales/maintenance people are Americans.

What goes around, comes around...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Buying America is the worst concept ever. So what if China has a monopoly on the toilet brush market? Do we really want shitty jobs that make toilet brushes and cheapo toys when we just import that crap for pennies on the dollar, open up higher skilled American jobs such as import/export, finance, trucking, management, retail, land management (place a store somewhere), and some government to keep an eye on things. Or would you rather have a halfassed Chinese manufacturing economy circa 1910?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top