Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2009 9:11:26 PM EDT
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ae4957e8-1a5f-11de-9f91-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

Brazil president blames white people for crisis

By Jonathan Wheatley in São Paulo and agencies

Published: March 27 2009 00:27 | Last updated: March 27 2009 00:27

Brazil’s President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva on Thursday blamed the global economic crisis on “white people with blue eyes” and said it was wrong that black and indigenous people should pay for white people’s mistakes.

Speaking in Brasília at a joint press conference with Gordon Brown, the UK prime minister, Mr Lula da Silva told reporters: “This crisis was caused by the irrational behaviour of white people with blue eyes, who before the crisis appeared to know everything and now demonstrate that they know nothing.”

He added: “I do not know any black or indigenous bankers so I can only say [it is wrong] that this part of mankind which is victimised more than any other should pay for the crisis.”

Mr Brown appeared to distance himself from Mr Lula da Silva’s remarks. “I’m not going to attribute blame to any individuals,” he said.

Mr Brown was visiting Brazil as part of a five-day tour of Europe, the US and South America in preparation for the G20 summit to take place in London next Thursday. He made a joint appeal with Mr Lula da Silva for the world’s biggest economies to provide $100bn to boost global trade.

“I’m going to ask the G20 summit next week to support a global expansion of trade finance to reverse a slide in world trade,” Mr Brown said.

Mr Lula da Silva also spoke out strongly against raising trade barriers in response to the global crisis. “I compare protectionism to a drug,” he said. “Why do people use drugs? Because they are in crisis and they think the drug will help them. But its effects pass quickly.”

The two leaders’ remarks demonstrate the desire each will have to secure the other’s support during the G20 meeting.

Brazil – which has long campaigned unsuccessfully to be given a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council – will argue for a bigger voice for Brazil and other emerging nations in multilateral organisations such as the International Monetary Fund and the Financial Stability Forum, a group of central banks and national supervisory authorities established in 1999.

Brazil is one of many nations calling for increased regulation of global financial markets and greater powers for multilateral regulators.

It will also call for a resumption and conclusion of the Doha round of talks at the World Trade Organisation.

In return for supporting such initiatives, Mr Brown will expect Brazil to endorse calls for fiscal stimulus in a bid to mitigate the impact of the global crisis, such as the proposed $100bn in trade finance.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2009
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn whitey. Wait, I thought brasier was mostly white?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
lol yah isn't Brazil have alot of white people living there?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
lol yah isn't Brazil have alot of white people living there?

It isn't! Isn't it!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
My whiteness sickates me!

probably is my fault
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Oops, gotta call dupe on my own thread!    

But the OP of the original thread made up some cock-eyed title that wasn't original to the article!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Sadly our TOTUS will agree with him

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
brazil is pretty diverse - balck, brown, white, asian....you name it, they have 'em in large numbers there.  Lula used to work in a mine or factory...he really came from the down and outs...very popular people's presdient, but plenty have plenty to say about him...Brazil was not heavily investedin US markets, though, so heir economy has survived a bit better than others, although they will of course be affected by the global downturn.  Super nice place to be...I know he was speaking Portuguese, I wonder if there is a different translation or he was speaking metaphorically - don't know enough about his politics to raise a flag, but I distrust lots of things I see in print without verification.  I think Lula is white...but no blue eyes, I don't think...

Surprising that a Brasilian would put it in those terms...you won't find any form in Brasil with boxes to check race or ethnicity...they just don't measure things that way.

ETA: oh yeah, almost forgot...death to america, kill the white people...anyone remember that skit from SNL?  hilarious...round table with all the death to america leaders; the last question is where would you live if you could live anywhere in the world...of course, America...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh great, just because I have brown eyes I`m excluded? I`m really tired of being discriminated against for not being a "blue eyed" white devil.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Just another jack ass...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate whitey.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#11]
wheeew......good thing i have brown eyes....
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I am not being a smart ass here but I didn't know Brazilians were black...I thought they were...well Brazilians...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#13]
White and hazel eyes, in the clear!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn white folks... always doing stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck that dude.

When I worked at a bar in San Diego, the rudest, most obnoxious people were the god damned Brazilian tourists.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:55:59 AM EDT
[#16]
The ONLY thing, worth a FUCK, ever to come from that shithole was SEPULTURA.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, but only white people with BLUE eyes were singled out…

Al you folks with brown eyes are in the clear.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#18]
In Defense of the White Man
by Selwyn Duke (2/24/09)

While many believe that prejudice has diminished over time, it’s not really true. Prejudice is much like the wind: Its direction changes, and the sheltered and well-situated may not sense it, but it’s always blowing on some people somewhere. Put literally, every age has its fashionable biases - and unfashionable people.

This was obvious during the presidential inauguration benediction, given by the Reverend Joseph Lowery. While making a supplication to the Lord, he made the following anachronistic plea:
“. . . help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right [emphasis mine].”

Well, I wonder if the reverend has ever asked the Lord why He scourged the world with white people in the first place.

It isn’t surprising that caucaphobia is in fashion. You can demonize any person, group or place; all you need do is focus on the object’s failings to the exclusion of its/his accomplishments. It isn’t even hard to do. To bastardize one of Abraham Lincoln’s lines, if you look for the worst in a group, you’re sure to find it. It’s just as with a person. If I repeatedly disseminated your sins and mistakes among the town folk while downplaying your good points, how long would it be before they were chasing you with pitchforks?

So it has been with whites for a long time now. It is not correct to say that history textbooks, documentaries and entertainment inundate us with stories about slavery and civil rights abuses; no, they inundate us with stories about whites’ practice of slavery and abuse of civil rights. There are movies such as “Roots” and “Mississippi Burning” but none of note about the Aztecs’ or Shaka Zulu’s domination of neighboring peoples, or the current African slave trade or Zimbabwean “president” Robert Mugabe’s persecution of whites and political opponents. Then, relating the American history guidelines of a prominent textbook publisher, the author of The Language Police, Diane Ravitch, writes:

“European Americans, the guidelines suggest, were uniquely responsible for bigotry and exploitation in all human history.”

This philosophy imbues school textbooks. While featured prominently are the sins of whites, others’ sins are whitewashed. For instance, due to special-interest-group pressure – such as that applied by Moslem activists – examples of slavery perpetrated by non-whites are in short supply or are sanitized. This, despite the fact that Moslem North Africans did at one time capture young boys of both the white and black races, castrate them and sell them into slavery. And this bias is a continuation of decades of anti-white propaganda of the kind embodied in Susan Sontag’s famous 1967 line, “The white race is the cancer of human history.” It’s an idea that has taken hold.

Thus must I mount a defense of the white race. But I want to preface it with a few remarks. First, don’t ask why I undertake such an endeavor. When the president has a preacher talking about the black, brown, yellow, red and white, it’s silly to ask why I speak of race. I’m not initiating such a discussion, I’m responding. I’m not throwing punches, I’m blocking.

Second, because of this – since I’m refuting those who assign blame by highlighting the sins of whites – it’s necessary that I trumpet whites’ accomplishments. Unlike those I’m refuting, however – who often ascribe the evils they feature to something inherent in whites – I don’t claim there is an innate quality in the race that should be credited with all these triumphs. On the contrary, I believe the force primarily responsible for Western civilization’s glories is Christianity, but that is grist for a different day.

It’s not hard to figure out where a defense of whites must start: Slavery. It’s the most odd of issues, in that we all thoroughly agree on the wrongness of it yet it is thoroughly divisive. It is the defining grievance of black America, something that imbues millions of black psyches. As an example, I attended a gathering a few years ago at which there was a certain guest, a rather emotive and outgoing black fellow who was very good at relating every topic of discussion, from the meaningful to the mundane, to America’s slavery. It was as if he could channel Kunta Kinte in every conversation.

Yet the reality of slavery is that, along with prostitution, it is one of the world’s oldest institutions. It is mentioned in the Bible and Koran, and, to the best of my knowledge, every major civilization has practiced it. And, if we’re to believe history and Afrocentrists (and I suppose you cannot believe both), the ancient Egyptians were black and enslaved Jews.

Moreover, the Islamic slave trade took at least as many Africans into bondage as did the European variety, and African tribes themselves had slaves and sold them to both civilizations. Additionally, while the word “slave” conjures up the image of a black person in the typical American mind, the term itself is derived from the word “Slav.” This is because great numbers of Slavs were once sold into slavery by conquering peoples. In other words, no group ever cornered the market on slavery – it touched ever corner of the Earth.

Yet, in the history of involuntary servitude, something else should be noted. It is a startling fact:

While whites weren’t the first ones to practice slavery, they were the first ones to abolish it.

Let’s be clear about this. Slavery was accepted. It was the status quo. It was an institution whose origin was shrouded in the mists of time. It was unquestioned.

That is, until Europeans said “No more.”

It was not Asians who effected this bold and unprecedented social change. It was not South Americans. It was not Africans. It was not American Indians. It was not Aborigines. It was Europeans, that cancer of human history, and they were just as white then as they are today. They gave the world change you can really believe in.

People will try to explain away this historical fact, saying that this striking example of man’s humanity to man has nothing to do with race. I will simply reiterate that the why of the matter is a discussion for a different day. For now, I’m content to say that if whites can be demonized without explanation for being one of many groups to enslave Africans, they can be credited without explanation for being the first group to outlaw the enslavement of anyone.

One of the reasons we fixate on slavery that ended more than 150 years ago concerns the effects many believe it has today. This is called the “legacy of slavery,” which, actually, seems not nearly as big a problem as the legacy of obsessing on legacies. Be that as it may, what is the real legacy of slavery?

Well, let’s think about it: Many lament blacks’ economic state in America, claiming it’s part of slavery’s legacy. But where would blacks be were it not for slavery? The answer is Africa, where people’s economic state is far, far worse than that of American blacks.

In other words, there is no reason to agonize over an event – even an evil one – responsible for your presence in a country that has offered its citizens unprecedented rights and standard of living. (Of course, to be precise, most blacks currently in the U.S. would not actually have been worse off absent slavery. This is because they wouldn’t have “been” at all, as ancestors whose procreation led to their existence would never even have met. The big picture is a funny thing, isn’t it?)

The point is that most people who arrived on American shores were driven here by some kind of persecution. Whatever the reason, however, thank God we’re in the land of opportunity and not languishing in a slum in Asia, South America, Africa or Eastern Europe. So, it’s ironic, but that some blacks were brought here in chains yesterday ensured that their descendants wouldn’t have to wear chains today.

Now we come to prejudice, another supposedly characteristic white fault. Yet the truth is quite the opposite. In reality, racial prejudice is probably found least among whites, due to political correctness.

Most white children are raised today with the idea that it’s profoundly immoral to be prejudiced (I discussed this here). This isn’t to say there aren’t some Archie Bunker types extant, but they certainly aren’t in fashion. Remember, it was mainly white people who originated, promoted and funded sensitivity-training classes, tolerance programs and multiculturalism (come to think of it, I may start hating white people myself). Now, while I consider these abominations to be worse than what they ostensibly remedy, this brings us to a relevant question: Can you think of another group that has gone to the point of self-flagellation to purge prejudice from its ranks? Heck, with how we beat each other up over this, no one really has to worry at all about whites. We’re all black and blue.

Then we have the matter of white achievement. The vast majority of what makes the lives of all races better today – modern science and medicine; our luxuries; Western art, literature, legal institutions; etc. – is the handiwork of whites. Oh, this is simply a matter of circumstance, of opportunity, of a twist of fate, you say? Perhaps. Again, this is not the time to discuss the ways and whys. Suffice it to say for now that if President Obama (PBUH) can
frame matters in terms of race at his inauguration (and in his books and everywhere else, it seems), I can in an article. And if whites can be ridiculed for their transgressions, they can be recognized for their triumphs.

Yet, despite all this and more, caucaphobia is still not only accepted but often encouraged. And the hypocrisy is stark. The left admonishes against making even valid generalizations or entertaining intellectual discussions about group differences. And indulging stereotyping – that specter of egalitarian nightmares – can fast earn one pariah status in addition to a place on the unemployment line. Why, even the positive variety is off limits. We cannot say blacks are better athletes, even though the sports arena may bear witness to this; we cannot say Asians are more intelligent, even though they have the highest average I.Q. of any major racial group; we cannot say Latinos are good dancers (not sure about that one). The idea is that such beliefs can lead to stigmatization or resentment or, or . . . whatever the theory du jour may be.

But when the matter is whites, even baseless negative stereotypes aren’t thought cause for alarm. A Reverend Lowery can imply that whites are uniquely flawed and immoral, they can be portrayed as the bane of man, as “the cancer of human history,” and it’s ho-hum.

Yet, are we to believe that such demonization magically becomes harmless when whites are the targets? What does history teach about the plight of consistently scapegoated and dehumanized groups? It’s that they almost invariably end up suffering persecution. And given that current demographic trends indicate whites will becomes a minority in America during the lifetimes of many reading this, and given that even majorities sometimes are tyrannized – as Sunnis’ domination of Shiites under Saddam Hussein and the Spartans’ enslavement of the Helots proved – it’s foolish to dismiss the peril posed by mainstreaming caucaphobia. (In fact, whites already suffer the sting of persecution; I documented some cases here and here).

Yet, that increasingly-maligned dead white male Ben Franklin knew whereof he spoke when he said, “You cannot reason a man out of a position he has not reasoned himself into.” Prejudice is a function of emotion, not logic, and emotion is like darkness, in that it can be blinding. A person who sees only color – and through colored glasses – will have a powerful immunity to facts. Thus, I only expect caucaphobia to intensify.

So what can we do? Well, prayer is always good, so I’ll conclude with one of my own right now. Lord, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will cease the attack, brown will no longer frown, white will be all right – and rhymes will fit the times.

Selwyn Duke
http://newsbyus.com/index.php/article/2409
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:39:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn whitey messin stuff up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#20]
thats pretty funny coming from the leader of a developing country

worthless fucking maggots
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:46:31 AM EDT
[#21]
What a tool.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Thats right!!    I an teh evil bastage "whitey wit blue eyes"!!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:52:30 AM EDT
[#23]

"No one knows what it's like to be the bad man behind blue eyes".

The Who circa 1970

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Sort of funny that a GREAT deal of Brazil's currenty prosperity comes from the droves of Brazilians who are in the US illegally and send money home.It doesn't make national news but this portion of New England is overwhelmed with Brazilian illegals.Brazil profitted tremendously from the housing boom when millions of dollars were wired back from my small community alone.Nobody knows how many live here,but I'd say that it's approaching 40% of the population at the moment and if you see someone with a stroller or small child,it's a safe bet that they're from Brazil and that MA's healthcare plan paid to have them delivered.

I will say,in their defense,that they tend to be astoundingly hard workers and unlike some other groups,don't tend to bring drugs and crime with them,but the fact that they aren't here legally and drain far more out of the economy than they put into it stands.I believe the main reason is that most who come here are from rural,farming areas and the goal of most is to make enough money to go home and buy property;they're just on a few year rotational basis.One thing that might interest some is that there certainly is a caste system in Brazil where the descendants of slaves ( IIRC slavery was legal until 1888) are the bottom rung and those living in the favelas tend to have much darker complexions;it's somewhat similar to the Dominican in that respect and one that "whites" wouldn't pick up on readily.

One final note for all the horndogs thinking there is a secret repository of Gisele Bundchens in New England: they keep the prime stock at home fellas.Lots of pregnant teenagers and lots of severely busted multi-moms but the hottie quotient is quite low.I can count on one hand the number of American dudes with Brazilian girlfriends I know: Tom Brady and the Pepsi delivery guy

I lied: final,final note: lots of Confederates fled to Brazil after the war a'twixt the states and there is a community of their descendants that celebrates their heritage with rebel flags and such.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oh great, just because I have brown eyes I`m excluded? I`m really tired of being discriminated against for not being a "blue eyed" white devil.

Sorry, you're just not 'white' enough.  Us blue-eyed white devils will discriminate against you as well!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am not being a smart ass here but I didn't know Brazilians were black...I thought they were...well Brazilians...

They are every color of the 'rainbow':  From the whitest white to the blackest black and everything in between.

But all their women are pi  Sorry, I got a little carried away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Great, Luiz.  Looks like you're bucking for a job in the O'Bama administration.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Around here all the sub-prime loan skippers were black or hispanic.  I know of two South American families who bought homes with sub-prime mortgages, refused to pay the mortage for two years, then fled the country.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Guess this lets Franklin Raines off the hook?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:42:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The ONLY thing, worth a FUCK, ever to come from that shithole was SEPULTURA.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/pie-rat_/sepultura.jpg

Soul Fly too....well it has Max in it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:42:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Brazil’s President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva on Thursday blamed the global economic crisis on “white people with blue eyes” and said it was wrong that black and indigenous people should pay for white people’s mistakes.

I'm a white guy with blue eyes and damn proud of it...

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, because Brazil is a shining example of things running smoothly...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Must have went to same church as our president..

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I get the feeling Brazil's idiot doesn't know who pays for what, at least in the US.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:54:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Hmmm.
White:   Check
Blue Eyes:   Check

I must have been the one to screw it all up by going to work and paying taxes my whole life.

Sorry guys, it's all my fault.

Wow, who'd a thunk it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have green eyes. What about me?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#38]
And how many is a Brazilian again?
I like black rifles, does that make me PC?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I hereby apologize for causing all the worlds troubles, and will now dig my eyes out with a rusty spoon to atone for my sins.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Must have went gone to the same church as our president..

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They are African-Brazilians.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are African-Brazilians.  

Right.. got that...But Africans aren't black, Africans are ummm Africans.....I believe that black is a term that is used for people in this country...I mean that is what I think...

Everyone with brown skin isn't black...

ETA:  I hope you guys don't think I am picking gnat shit out of pepper...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree.  I think whites should stop subsidizing other races, other countries.

Let them look elsewhere for handouts.

We do nothing but enable them with our foreign aid.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#44]
This is strange. My Mom was from Brazil, and i still have quite a bit of family there. My family is almost all white and I have a few blond blue eyed cousins down there. I'd like to know what they did to cause this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, lets see, most of this problem was caused by subprime lending...

It goes both ways, idiots lending to idiots thinking they deserve to live a lifestyle they think they deserve....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Common view in Latin America.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Lula (Lulu?) sure looks like one of those white devils.  Not very black or Indian for a Brazilian.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top