Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/26/2009 3:50:57 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting an arm piece and am having a purchasing dilemma. I don't know a whole lot about watches, but I want something decent. Here's what I'm thinking of getting. It's on sale for 900$:

I'm doing this from suggestions from colleagues and friends. Repeatedly, I hear, "of all the people I know, I'm surprised you're not wearing a decent watch." And, really, there is something to it. As shallow as it is, I've started realizing the importance of accessories when it comes to dealing with strangers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer an Omega for the same price range. Cant go wrong with either though. In my opinion, Omega makes a "classier" watch than Tag. Sort of like Volvo/Audi vs BMW/ Mercedes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag makes a fine watch and they're very durable. I have a stainless Tag that's been up numerous big walls (The Mace, El Cap, Royal Arches), been on many hundreds of hunting trips and generally been abused and neglected since I received it as a high school graduation gift from my father 17 years ago, and it's still going strong. Love that watch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If you like it and consider it good value, go for it.

But from what I've heard, TAG doesn't make their own actions, they simply package purchased actions into their own cases.

They're more of a fashion house than a watchmaker.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand paying a thousand bucks for a quartz watch, but its your money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 3-subdial Aquaracer.  Tags are the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I prefer an Omega for the same price range. Cant go wrong with either though. In my opinion, Omega makes a "classier" watch than Tag. Sort of like Volvo/Audi vs BMW/ Mercedes.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I never pay more than $9.99 for a watch.  The Casio brand has be very accurate and very durable for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I think they make the best looking watches.  Case in point, the Grand Carrera Calibre 17RS2.

SEX
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote on Omega, I own the Seamaster Pro 300 and Railmaster 39mm. Tag makes a good product.   There are many brands out there in that price range.  Ball is another one I would look into.  However Hamilton is my favorite brand.  Great bang for the buck and they have come out with some really nice stuff in the last couple years.  They all use ETA based movements.  Omega modifies them enough to call it their own, but Omega is still part of the Swatch group that owns ETA.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
THIS is my Tag and I couldn't be happier.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Point me in the direction of the $900 new Omega.........
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
THIS is my Tag and I couldn't be happier.

Have that one with the black face.

I like it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Rolex guy myself.....
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought my wife a TAG dive watch, ended up getting clouded. Covered under warranty but it's pain finding a certified warranty place.

Go with Omega or Casio if you can't afford that. My Casio dive watch lasted way longer than the $600 (at the time) Tag did.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
This was a gift from my wife.  I like the automatic because it never needs a battery.  On the other hand, it is not as accurate as a quartz movement.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#17]
If your not going to pony up and get a Rolex go with the Omega.  The Omega says fuck you I bought this for the watch because of the watch not to be fashionable. Also I agree with another poster I just can't see spending that much $$ on a quartz watch. Me myself I'm a Submariner guy, but that is just me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Real watches don't use batteries.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Get some new friends they sound llike  assholes .wenger is good enough for me .$150 2 time zones and it always look good and works . if you need watch  or car for pussy you are bound to get fucked.{read not fucked}
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#20]
half of the rolex  watches you see are $200 fakes along with their owners and friends!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Get some new friends they sound llike  assholes .wenger is good enough for me .$150 2 time zones and it always look good and works . if you need watch  or car for pussy you are bound to get fucked.{read not fucked}

You buy a watch for YOU.... I could care less what someone else thinks, nor would I spend 4K to impress someone I dont know or give a fuck about. i can have the shittiest day on the planet, look at my Sub or GMT and it makes me smile.. ME smile.. Not someone else.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I am not really fond of the new Tag watches.  That said I have had a 4000 series on my arm for about 15 years now - really hate to think about what I will replace it with.

I have abused the hell out of it sea kayaking, white water kayaking, wade fishing - and there is still not a scratch on the crystal (get a sapphire crystal).  Mine is also 200M water resistance and only .35" thick (that is what they don't make anymore, thin 200m watches).  Noticed yesterday that the phosphorus dots are showing age , first real sign of age I have seen on it.

On the negative side, if you want to keep it waterproof you need to have it resealed and pressurized with battery changes - that cost about $75 last time I did it.  I think batteries last 3-4 years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice, Tags makes a nice time piece
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont like that model, but i do like Tag's. One is in the future for me. Haven't decided yet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#25]
SEIKO FTW....
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#26]
tag's are good watches i have 2 but i got mine several years ago when they made them really big and heavy.
jm2c

regards 6
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Get a Seiko Monster.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you like it and consider it good value, go for it.

But from what I've heard, TAG doesn't make their own actions, they simply package purchased actions into their own cases.

They're more of a fashion house than a watchmaker.

Here's some information I picked up on a watch forum.  Probably more info on who actually makes their own watch movements than you would need, but good information nonetheless.

"In-house" means made by the company, its corporate parent, or any of its subsidiaries, or by affiliates with especially close historic relationships (e.g. Breguet/Lemania or Blancpain/F. Piguet). An important caveat to keep in mind: Even the most prestigious houses often turn to independent "consultants" for some of their most complex products. The occasional use of such consultants will not change a company's categorization.

"In-group" means the company and any of its affiliates with separate origins (previously independent firms now in the same corporate group––e.g. Omega and ETA)

"ébauche" is a base movement supplied without an escapement and/or other major components.

"base movement" is a complete movement purchased from a supplier, but modified by replacing certain components, refinishing or substantial modification.

"original movement" is a movement designed and manufactured without reliance on a supplied ébauche or base movement.

Note: manufacture of movements excludes jewels and balance springs and may exclude other specialized parts..

1) Uses only original movements and manufactures other major components (case, dial and hands) of every watch in-house.

Glashütte Original
Haldimann Horology
Jaeger-LeCoultre
Rolex
Seiko (also makes crystals)
R.W. Smith
Andreas Strehler
Urwerk

2) Uses only original movements.

Vincent Bérard
Blancpain
Citizen
De Bethune
Philippe Dufour
Jean Dunand/C. Claret
Jean Daniel Nicholas
F.P. Journe
A. Lange & Sohne
Richard Mille
Minerva
Piaget
Vulcain
Vyskocil (also makes case in-house)
Zenith

3a) Uses some original movements, but also uses base movements/ébauches with extensive and substantive in-house modification such that a unique movement results.

Vincent Calabrese
Roger Dubuis
Gérald Genta
Paul Gerber
IWC
Kiu Tai Yu
Franck Muller
Ulysse Nardin
Parmigiani
Revue Thommen
Daniel Roth
Speake-Marin

3b) Mostly uses original movements. but also uses supplied or refinished movements.

Breguet
Girard-Perregaux
Patek Philippe
Vacheron Constantin

3c) Uses some original movements, but mostly uses supplied or refinished movements.

Audemars Piguet
Chopard
Frédérique Constant
Poljot
Vostok
Harry Winston Fine Timepieces

4) Begins with supplied ébauche or base movement, but does extensive and substantive in-house modification such that a unique movement results

Svend Andersen
Arnold & Son/La Jour Perret
blu––source du temps
Martin Braun
Breitling
D. Dornblüth & Sohn
Graham/La Jour Perret
Richard Habring
Vianney Halter
Urban Jürgensen & Sønner
Christiaan van der Klaauw
Lang & Heyne
Rainer Nienaber
Nomos
Pita
Thomas Prescher Haute Horologie
Antoine Preziuso

5) Designs and manufactures at least most movements in-group

Jaquet Droz
Longines
Omega
Tissot

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#29]
keep an eye on this site for great deals

http://www.chronoshark.com/default.aspx
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag Heuer makes a great watch for the money.  Those that say Omega is better in the same price range... Omega is not in the same price range.  Omegas cost a bit more.  Here is what I have:

Aquaracer Automatic.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm loving the Grand Carrera Calibre 17RS2.

I have an Omega Seamaster. Want it?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#32]
In that price range I would get an Omega.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Aquaracer Automatic here. Awesome watch. I bought mine at Macys for 15% off, I think. They had a nice selection of Tags to choose from.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been pretty happy with my Link Automatic even though it loses about a minute a month.  The only time I take it off is when I shower and when I shoot pistols.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Check out a Marathon GSAR, TSAR or JSAR. Great watches for the money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I was in a jewlery shop buying something for the wife. I started talking watches with the woman behind the counter. This shop had Rolex and Tag. She said that in her opinion, over $500 was no longer a time piece but a piece of jewlery.
However I do like Breitling.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Rolex guy myself.....

This^^  for many reasons.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Oakley makes some damn sharp watches.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#39]
some of the auto's tag makes are quite good. but they really haven't been the same since their grand ole heuer days.
if your interested in one of their quartz models, id honestly say if you spend more than 4-5 hundred your really wasting your money at that point.

If your willing to spend 1k on a watch your really within earshot of a steel omega seamaster or the better side of tissot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd go for an Oris and save a few bucks myself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This! I have an Omega from 1954 Seamaster, great watch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#42]
My folks got me a Tag Formula 1 for HS graduation. I wore it daily till turning 40 last month when my wife surprised me with an Aquaracer. I know she overspent but my old one has been bulletproof. I mean 20 some odd years of college, policing, shooting, camping, boating... I have not been easy on the watch (or the body that was attached to it) to put it mildly. The battery in it started running out right after I got my new one. What is amazing is that I bet I have not put 5 batteries in that watch the entire time I've had it.

If the Aquaracer is as good I will take it to the grave. It is nice, solid and heavy. Just a good damned stainless watch.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rolex guy myself.....

But none of them are that you actually want the watch to keep accurate time.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#44]
My daily wear watch is a TAG that my wife gave me in 1992.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I have an omega seamaster and it requires regular maintenance.  Its a tough watch, with excellent fit and finish, but the movement is not so tough.  Seiko automatics are an excellent value.  I have one and I wear it more than the Omega.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm more of an Omega guy, but there's no way anyone withou serious connections could find my automatic Seamaster diver for $900. My last 2 daily wear watches have been a TAG F1 chrono and a Heuer (pre-TAG)... Until the local authorized dealer ruined it & couldn't get NOS parts from the factory.  The F1 is plenty durable, and can do dress-up duty in a pinch - it's still doing EDC duty. My wife loves her TAG, too.

IMHO, TAG sells a decent jewelry watch that should keep you happy if you like the design. I keep an eye on Costco, of all places. They sometimes get nice watches at great prices. I got my F1 as a year-end closeout for 50-60% of retail.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rolex guy myself.....

Spoken by someone who CANNOT afford or appreciate a Rolex...
And of course that is one more reason: I love my ROLEX(s)...

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I think you could find a nice, used Omega diver for not much more money.

I'm just not a Tag fan.  For that money I'd rather do the Omega, or a used Sinn, or even a nice Seiko.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rolex guy myself.....

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rolex guy myself.....

This^^ for many reasons.

Don't ya just love when someone makes one little comment that shows so much about them?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top