Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2002 7:10:46 AM EDT
[url]http://www.dailyindependent.com/010702/news/local/local8.html[/url]

Tuesday, January 08, 2002
[b]High noon-
Man accidentally shoots himself in 'showdown' with a snowman[/b]

WILLARD — A Carter County man accidentally shot himself Monday while practicing his quick-draw on a snowman, Kentucky State Police at Ashland said.

Bob Bowling, 32, of Willard, suffered a gunshot wound to his right upper thigh, according to the KSP's Ashland post.

The incident occurred about 2:55 p.m. at Bowling's residence on Lost Creek, the KSP said.

Bowling initially told the KSP that he had his gun in a holster and that it discharged when he sat down.

However, after being taken to King's Daughters Medical Center, Bowling told Trooper Russ Fannin that the weapon went off while he was quick-drawing on a snowman.

Bowling was released after treatment at KDMC, hospital spokesman Tom Dearing said.

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder what kind of pistol the snowman had.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
As Red____ would say, "ban all snowmen. For the children".

This guy is such a dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Now that's funny![:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#4]
If that assault snowman would have been registered in a national database then this tragendy might have been prevenet.

ROFLMAO!

That is funny!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As Red____ would say, "ban all snowmen. For the children".

This guy is such a dumbass.
View Quote

Which guy?  LMAO

Seriously, I got shot by my own tree once while semi-practicing a quick draw.  I had a brand new Ruger Vaquero in .45LC, nice new holster, and decided to test out my new rig down at my favorite backstop, namely a large, dead, well shot tree.

VERY first shot....Gun goes BANG!  and I SWEAR the tree shot me back.

A hunk of lead came flying back from the tree and hit HARD me in my upper left shoulder!  

Turns out it was a piece of another round that had been lodged in the tree.  The large .45 slug hit the bottom of the wedging piece of wood and flipped the stuck round back out at me.  Nice lesson in levers and fulcrums.  Hurt a little, surprised me alot!  

Safety glasses are ALWAYS a good idea.  Even for a quick trip to the range.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell, I was once arrested in that county 16 years ago...  and I'm really surprised the snowman hasn't been charged yet!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I can relate.  Back in the early '90s, my buddy and I would set up a "Snowman Assault Course" at out club in the dead of winter.  We would roll up a gang of "Crips" and run the course with shotguns and pistols.  Surprisingly, those snowmen can take a lot of punishment.  It really was great practice, because you could see the hits.  They would stop a lot of bullets without passing through.  We never shot ourselves, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top