Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2002 5:43:46 AM EDT
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-daly10.html

Mayor Daley gave Police Supt. Terry Hillard a vote of confidence Wednesday, even as he prodded Chicago police to try new strategies in the war on gangs and drugs to dethrone Chicago as the murder capital of the nation.

Daley also urged newly appointed U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald to consider a Chicago version of Project Exile, the anti-gun crackdown credited with curbing street violence in Richmond, Va., and reducing that city's murder rate by 48 percent over a two-year period.

Since 1997, federal prosecutors in Richmond have been accepting most gun possession cases because of the stiffer sentences routinely handed out in federal court.

The program was dubbed Project Exile because convicts were shipped to out-of-state federal prisons, far away from family and friends.

''That was very successful. . . . It was zero tolerance by U.S. attorneys and it did cut down murders in Richmond,'' Daley said.

[B]''We will become more aggressive in our policing. . . . We have renewed our effort to take guns out of homes, given that a fair portion of our homicides are domestic-related,'' Bayless said.

''We think we can knock the rate down if we make more of an effort. . . . We have officers responding to domestic calls to ask complainants whether there are any guns in the house they would like to see removed.''[/B]

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
As a Richmond local, I can tell you that Exile isn't the reason why Richmond's crime rate dropped.  The real reason, in my opinion, is that one side won the multi year drug war that plagued that city for a while.  To the victor, went the spoils...

The urge to use this as an example of what works to reduce crime seems to outweigh the need to tell the whole story.  

The reasoning:  I haven't had an auto accident or even a close call since I bought my new watch.  Therefore, my new watch must be protecting me...
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Let`s send them away......and someone else can worry about/take care of them.......[argue]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The reasoning:  I haven't had an auto accident or even a close call since I bought my new watch.  Therefore, my new watch must be protecting me...
View Quote

Where can I get that kind of watch?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

What kind of watch and where can I get one?  Is there a website for these watches[?]  

[edit]Damn Jarheads are [i]always[/i] getting there first![/edit]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Daley is a fink!
He never takes responsibilty for the utter chaos in his city and is always passing the buck.  Of course, taking responsibility would imply [i]doing something[/i] to take responsibility for.  On the rare occasion he does make an attempt it's always misguided and half-assed, normally targeting the wrong people or issue.
If you can't tell, I despise the bum.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea, he was babbling the other day that he wants the whole city to be a "No Fly Zone".  At least for private aircraft.  Hey, GREAT idea there Ritchie.......then all the CEO's that can't visit their facilities will move.  Just call him "Mayor Dingus".
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As a Richmond local, I can tell you that Exile isn't the reason why Richmond's crime rate dropped.  
View Quote

So if these punks are in jail & can't commit crimes, you see this as no reason the rate dropped? IOW, one punk goes to jail & another one pops up to take his place thus negating the one who was sent away? I'm not flaming, just trying to understand your logic.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
No Fly Zone,Huh? Whats that gonna do to Meigs Field?
Wheres the safest place in chicago? Bridgeport. On Mrs. Daleys(little richies granma)front porch.
Why? Because there is two full time Chicago cops in a squad car planted out front and two more parked in front of the garage in the alley.The best protection money can buy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm...Another instance of extensive gun control in a big city not working, but I'd like to know how many murders were committed in the city not using firearms.  Ban knives and cut off hands to stop the strangulations and beatings next time.  Project Exile????

Mayor Daley,

[size=5]CHICAGO IS THE MURDER CAPITAL OF THE NATION![/size=5]

.....and you're the mayor!  Great job!

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#10]
When a war ends, the killing normally stops.  The turf wars ended, one side won, and the murder rate plummets.  We had the highest per capita murder rate in the country for a while because of this drug territory activity.    

My point is that I hate to see Richmond used as a success story for Exile.  It has little to do with the reduction in crime here.  The Feds didn't magically ride in and solve anything.  There were many other much more important factors involved, and not all of them were related to government programs.  I don't remember the statistics, but the number of Exile convictions is quite low.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No Fly Zone,Huh? Whats that gonna do to Meigs Field?
Wheres the safest place in chicago? Bridgeport. On Mrs. Daleys(little richies granma)front porch.
Why? Because there is two full time Chicago cops in a squad car planted out front and two more parked in front of the garage in the alley.The best protection money can buy.
View Quote

You must be a Chicago (or at least IL native!!)  Miegs will of course have to close.  But he's wanted THAT all along anyway.  One other thing you don't hear much on is the land purchases several years ago in the Peotone area by his family and cronies.  But...oh yea, he said he is totally against the 3rd airport.

I shudda moved to Pheonix when I had the chance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yea, he was babbling the other day that he wants the whole city to be a "No Fly Zone".  

Just call him "Mayor Dingus".
View Quote

Last I looked at a Chicago map, O'Hare was in the city limits.

He's an idiot, his father was an idiot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top