Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2002 8:51:01 PM EDT
UPDATED: Thanks for all the input.

I went ahead the got a Para Ordnance P14-45 Limited .45 cal  Shoots excellent!
[img]http://www.paraord.com/pages/guns/P_Limited/S1445ER.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with a Sig,HK or Glock. In that order
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Do a search here and at TheFiringline for CZ 75.

-Jared
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Browning HiPower.  It's semiauto, single action, 9mm (and .40), and has the most comfortable grip available.

Francisco
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for Beretta 92 here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock 19, I've had mine since 89 and it goes where I go. The #1 thing I have found about glocks that I like, besides reliability, is the ability to let them be neglected for months without any thought about  rusting or whatnot. They are a tough weapon. Especially if you are serious about having a defensive weapon about or on your person. The less time worrying about the weapons ability to go bang when you pull the trigger,and the finish still being presentable the better!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Forget the Burrito 92fs unless you want to be replacing parts from time to time. Get a Glock 17 and dont waste your money on an HK.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Sig P226

[url]http://www.sigarms.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with the 226 you cant go wrong i have two of the where ever you line up the sight is where the bullet will hit.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I would stay away from the sigs now that they are made here in the US. Im not sure if the entire gun is being made here or if its the same deal as before where sig would get parts from several manufacturers. More than likely it will end up the same as the Beretta where the foreign made ones are great and the US made ones are trash.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I want a single action, semiauto. No revolvers. Price range is around $500
View Quote

Single action? I've got a Beretta 92FS (SA/DA), which I value greatly.  To each their own, really, so pick the one that fits your hand well.  Some people claim that Glocks have the perfect grip, while others love the good-old fashioned 1911-style grip.

Speaking of a pistol with a pseudo-1911 style grip, there's also the Springfield X-treme duty (aka HS2000).  As the HS2000 it got rave reviews, although the Springfield incarnation isn't nearly as cheap.  Or if you're REALLY into 1911's you could get one in 9mm, but that's
a) pretty much an abomination
b) probably over $500, IIRC

If the choice comes down to a few candidates, the resolution is fairly simple... buy them all!
(eventually... [;)])

Viper Out
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Whatever you get, make sure it will accept high cap. mags, if it doesnt, you may as well buy a larger caliber pistol.(IMHO)
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]
SIG 226!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#15]
If you have the money and want the best, go with a HK USP or USPC.  However, I'll also vote for the HS2000 (pre-Springfield) aka Springfield XD.  They will except Beretta 92 as well as some other gun's high-cap mags with slight modification.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Whatever you get, make sure it will accept high cap. mags, if it doesnt, you may as well buy a larger caliber pistol.(IMHO)
View Quote

Very true. But not only something that accepts Hi Cap mags but something that has affordable Hi Caps. That dq's the HK's.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
In a world of compromise some men dont, get the HK.  A glock is just an HK that wasnt left in the womb for the entire gestation period [:)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In a world of compromise some men dont, get the HK.  A glock is just an HK that wasnt left in the womb for the entire gestation period [:)]
View Quote

HAHAHHAHAHAHA!! Ok so the HK uses technology from the 1911 and the Hi Power. The Glock uses fresh ideas"that work" and doesnt copy everyone elses idea. And you think the glock is underdeveloped?  Here is a mind boggler why is the HK so expensive? Why do their recoil springs get bunched up so often? etc.etc. Why SO MANY DAMN PARTS?

In a world of compromise some dont. And others pay too much for overglorified bulky,Over Engineered German Sheist.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:10:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Smith&Wesson all the way!
Just Kidding[grenade]...go with a Glock, they have never let me down.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:36:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:59:41 AM EDT
[#21]
HK, In a world of compromise, some guys pay way too much for accessories. Don't buy a 9mm. Those are for chicks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#22]
sig 226 for a full size,
sig 228 for sub compact
sig 239 for smaller yet

own one of each , I wouldnt get rid of any
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:02:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm looking to purchase a handgun, preferably a 9mm. I know I want a single action, semiauto. No revolvers. My Father has a nice Glock 17, but I think I want something different. Any suggestions? Price range is around $500
View Quote

With the single action requirement you are limited to the Hi-Power and it's clones, or a 1911 in 9mm.

A Beretta or a Sig would probably be your best bet, but they aren't single actions.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I've tried the rest

Tupperware (glock)
Beretta (don't waste your time and money)
Sig

Then bought the best

HK USP

I must warn you, if you buy one...you'll want another, and another, and another

see a pattern here?[:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Hi Power, best grip, shoots great, lots of mags available
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm looking to purchase a handgun, preferably a 9mm. I know I want a single action, semiauto. No revolvers. My Father has a nice Glock 17, but I think I want something different. Any suggestions? Price range is around $500
View Quote

I've pretty much got the same question.

I currently own a Glock 21 and an HK USP45, but I'm considering trying my hand at IPSC, and for that I'd loke to use a 9mm.  I think.

My biggest concern is frame size.  I've got huge hands, and the only handguns that fit comfortably are the two that I own.  With most other types, I can only fit my middle and ring finger on the grip with my pinky hanging off.  I would never even consider a compact or sub compact.

I'm leaning towards the Glock, though between my two 45's, I prefer the trigger on my HK.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#27]
If you want single action 9mm, then go with what Francisco said....Browning Hipower.

Other ones (double action) that should be considered are the Walther P99 or the latest Beretta 92FS model that allow you to mount a laser/light right under the barrel. The present model didn't have the grove to do that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:01:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Get the Browning.  Accurate, reliable and very comfortable.  bybon
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Beretta 9000s Type F

Compact, Single or Double action, tilt barrel, accepts 92 hi cap mags.

I love it like no other handgun I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#30]
If you want the BEST 9mm single-action, it is indeed an HK - the HK P7, not the USP. Way out of your price range, even used.

If you can't spring for the real thing, then the Glock will work well, and it is solidly in your price range.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Springfield Armory XD or an HS2000 (same gun, but the HS costs less if you can find one AND Springfield will honor the warranty).  Takes Sig P226, Beretta 92, Taurus 92/99, S&W 5906 hi-caps with a little modification.  Or you can just get the XD .40 cal mags from Springfield and stuff 12 9mm in them.  I love my HS2K, and my even my wife can grip it comfortably, which she can't the Glock (which is what I wanted until I found this gun).

Guns & Ammo magazine has a very nice write up on them in their Feb. 2002 issue.  Both cost less than a Glock and no loss of quality.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Hmmm...  Why is it that when someone asks for suggestions for a [b]single action[/b] 9mm pistol so many people are suggesting a Glock, Sig, or Beretta?

I suggest a CZ-75.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think you all gave me enough to work with. I might go with a .45 cal instead of a 9mm. Any .45 suggestions?? I wouldn't mind spending up to $900 or so.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#34]
My Taurus PT-92 is the most comfortable gun I own because I have large hands.  It's lots of fun to shoot, but not the best defensive choice IMO.  My Kel-Tec P9 is ideal for summer concealment, but not everyone can shoot it well due to its long & heavy trigger pull.  All around, I'd say my Glock 19 is the perfect 9mm for me.  Totally reliable, easy to maintain and capable of more accuracy than I am.

I've been thinking about the Walther P99, though.  I really like the looks, but can't seem to find any objective reviews.  Anybody have experience with the Walther?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think you all gave me enough to work with. I might go with a .45 cal instead of a 9mm. Any .45 suggestions??
View Quote

Sure, why not? How about the Wilson Combat KZ-45 Compact. This is way over $500.00

[img]http://www.wilsoncombat.com/pistols/images/kzcompact_2002.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.wilsoncombat.com/pistols/kz45_compact.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#36]
[size=3][blue]In this order:

Sig 226
Glock 19
HS2000 (if money is an issue)[/size=3][/blue]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#37]
SIg 226 or 228.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

just get yourself a Beretta 92FS
View Quote

I agree then I have a nice NIB suppressor for a great price for you.

Email me if interested and legal in your area.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

The BIGGEST mistake anyone can make in buying a firearm is if the firearm is NOT reliable or durable. Because when you need it to work and it doesn't, you are toast.

The second biggest mistake is to buy a firearm that you can't shoot well and/or doesn't fit your hand well.

The third biggest mistake is to buy a firearm that is the wrong tool for the job. That is: it is of insufficient caliber, or magazine capacity. Or it is too large for concealed carry, etc.

Having kept that in mind, and understanding budget realities. The Cost of the firearm should be your least concern.

After all: how much is your life worth ? Is it worth $500 or more ? If you don't have enough money for a more reliable firearm. Then just wait a little longer and save more money.

Now, having said all of that (most of it probably unecessary). There are a LOT of really good handguns.

Both double action and single action.
Good Single action pistols are:
Browning Hi Power Mark III, standard or the Practical model. You can get Hi Powers both in 9mm and in 40 S&W.

Springfield Armory makes a 1911 chambered in 9mm. Both full size and ultra compact.
They also make 1911's in 40 S&W as well as 45 ACP.

Sig P210

Of all of these Single Action Pistols, the BEST is the Sig P210 followed by the Hi Power.
The 1911's are good, but not as reliable. They usually are a little more finicky when it comes to ammo, but they can be made reliable too, but they will normall require a little gun smithing.

The P210 (Not to be confused with other Sigs) is SINGLE ACTION. There is NO decocker, instead there is a safety on the left side of the pistol. To be flicked off by the right thumb of the shooters hand. These pistols are THE STANDARD by which all other pistols are judged by. They are extremely RELIABLE, ACCURATE, FAST to operate. They are also Expensive.
But then..you get what you pay for.

Here is a pic of a P210
[img]http://www.gunnery.net/sig/210/210-8-9.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#40]
The Browning Hi Power is also an Awesome pistol. And you can get them in either 9mm or in 40 S&W. You can also get a barrel for them chambered in 357 Sig.

Pic of a Hi Power
[img]http://www.customarms.com/bhp12a.jpg[/img]

A special note: the 357 Sig is almost as powerful as a 357 Magnum. But what makes the 357 sig cartridge desirable is that it is a Bottle necked cartridge. Since it is bottle necked it offers greater reliability by greatly reducing feeding problems associated with straight walled pistol cartridges.

Good Double Action Pistols:
Sig Saur P226 (full size)
Sig Saur P239 (sub compact)

HK
Beretta
Glock
CZ
The reliablity between the Sig, HK, Beretta, Glock, and CZ are all about the same. They will go bang every time.
They are also all about the same when it comes to durability. That is they will all last a very long time, shooting thousands of rounds.

Special Mentions: One very interesting and very good pistol is the HK P7. This is a squeeze cocking pistol. It is incrediblely reliable and fast to operate.The unique HK cocking lever allows the P7 to be carried safely with a round in the chamber, yet it is ready to fire by the natural tightening of the fingers around the grip. Releasing the cocking lever decocks the P7 immediately and renders it completely safe.

P7 pistols have a constant, uniform trigger pull for all rounds fired. There is no heavy first-shot trigger pull like that found on a conventional double-action pistol. There is no change in trigger pull between critical first and second shots. A simple three-dot sighting system makes aiming almost instinctive. And all P7 pistols are completely ambidextrous

A pic of the P7
[img]http://www.remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/p7/m13.gif[/img]

You can also get a version of the P7 chambered in 40 S&W called the P7M10.

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Get a Glock 17 and dont waste your money on an HK.
View Quote

Yeah, I mean, who'd want to spend their hard earned money on a better gun, anyway?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm looking to purchase a handgun, preferably a 9mm.
View Quote

The 9mm's I own are Beretta 92FS, Browning HP & H&K P7M8. All shoot well & all have their advantages over the others. I use the HP for IDPA as the grip fits my hand better than the 92FS & holds more than the P7M8. However, the H&K is THE most accurate one of the bunch. I have yet to see it out-shot at my gun club's range. The P7M8 I bought used, a police trade-in from Germany. It looked like a NIB model quite frankly. It's also known as the "squeeze cocker" due to its unique design. It also has the best trigger of any 9mm I've ever shot. My .o2
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#43]
My choice is an Italian made Beretta 92F. I have about 5000 rounds of lead reloads through mine and have never even had a failure to feed or eject.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#44]
[url]http://www.fnhipower.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Glock 19

I'd also consider a new Walther P99(?)

& Springfield's  importeded  HS2000
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Glock 19

I'd also consider a new Walther P99(?)

& Springfield's  importeded  HS2000
View Quote

I'll second the G19.  For an all-around gun, it's hard to beat.  You can get all of your fingers on it, it's farily light weight, it has a low bore axis for greater controllability, a fairly natural grip angle, and "thumbs-forward" grip is comforable on it without all that Hk-hardware on the side.

Plus, you can feed it G17 mags, which are readily available and cheaper than most hi-cap pistol mags.

And when you're ready to graduate to a real caliber, you can get the same gun chambered in .357 SIG! [:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Special Mentions: One very interesting and very good pistol is the HK P7.
----There were problems in NJ with the P-7, the State Police got rid of theirs as a Trooper was hurt and could not work the action. It is a good idea, but one time not having enough grip strength....Do you want to die for an engineer?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks everyone I think my next step is to go to the local gun shops and feel and price them. I'm leaning toward the Springfield 1911-A1 Standard or Mil-Spec .45 caliber.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Special Mentions: One very interesting and very good pistol is the HK P7.
----There were problems in NJ with the P-7, the State Police got rid of theirs as a Trooper was hurt and could not work the action. It is a good idea, but one time not having enough grip strength....Do you want to die for an engineer?
View Quote

Yes, there were problems with it all right. Troopers shot themselves getting out of their squadcars with the grip squeezed and their finger on the trigger, gun still in the holster. As I recall the challenge to fleeing felons was "Halt or I'll shoot myself in the leg again!"

Can't fight failure to follow rules of safe gun handling.  Not a failure of the gun. And a child can squeeze the cocker, left handed or right, and fire the gun with either hand. If so weak as to be unable to squeeze the cocker with either hand, I doubt he'd have been able to make a good shot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Sig 226, 229, 228
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top