Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 7:38:47 PM EDT
Wife is going nuts again and now wants a house in Tahoe.  Any info on good/bad areas?  I would prefer Nevada side but I think it is out of our price range, we are just looking for a small vacation home.  Any secret areas that are cool but still reasonable.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Tahoe is NOT inexpensive. Growing too fast. How close does she want to be? If you are looking for a spring-fall cabin/home there are lots of places - with land - along Hwy 50 between Twin bridges (the west side of the summit) and Meyers (where 50 comes down into the Tahoe basin). Winter access can be brutal if you are not real close to the hwy, but it's a great area when the snow is gone. Plus you can go shooting in the NF, something that's a major NO NO in the Tahoe basin.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I could repeat what Pathfinder said but I'll just leave it at that. Not just along the highway canyon, though, but in the woods along the lakes you'll find that the USFS leases homes out for 99 years at a time as summer homes. I don't know where you'd get any info on these, though, except maybe the USFS itself.

Don't recommend staying over the winter above Kyburz though. Tahoe itself has a lot of services being a city of about 22,000 but the little villages along the highway don't have the benefits of Caltrans spending for their little private roads.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jesus, your wife wants a house and your like looking into it, my wife asked for donuts tonight and I'm like "Yea right, you think I'm rich!"
View Quote

LOL.  Actually I live pretty much paycheck to paycheck, I teach special ed.  This is all the wife's money, my job is either put a stop to her flights of fancy, or at least channel them to the most productive end.

We'll check out the Twin Pines and Myers thing.  I think she wants something around the "Y" in south lake.  I was actually hoping to find something in Nevada for freedom's sake or off 80 around truckee as the drive is much better and it is closer to sugar bowl.  I think she doesn't want Nevada for fear that I will move up their permanently and spend all my money on new guns. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Gardnerville/Minden area. 25 minutes to the lake, on the Nevada side. In the Carson Valley. BEAUTIFUL, less expensive than Tahoe. My home. After a while you'll forget all about Commiefornia.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gardnerville/Minden area. 25 minutes to the lake, on the Nevada side. In the Carson Valley. BEAUTIFUL, less expensive than Tahoe. My home. After a while you'll forget all about Commiefornia.
View Quote

Cool, I'm gonna search for some homes in the area.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Ditto what gunmonkey said. Also look around Wellington...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top