Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2009 8:24:34 AM EDT

American Rifleman reported that Mitchell Manufacturing has found a way to squish a few more rounds into the standard Beretta 92, Sig 226, and Springfield XD magazines and increase them all to 20 rounds.  The trick to fitting in more rounds, reportedly, is the " clockwork spring pinned to the magazine body at its top that rests under the follower and unrolls itself as tension is increased".

Some of you probably know about this company as Mitchell's Mausers at http://www.mauser.org/index.htm

I called them and asked.  They said they won't  be out for at least 3 months and the price will be $50.   I asked if they would be increasing the capacity of XDM mags too and the person I talked to wasn't sure. I forgot to ask about pre-orders, but I'm doubtful.  It sounded like they are still figuring out where they are going to manufacture the mags. The picture in American Rifleman shows a mag with "Made in Serbia" at the base.  When I asked if all the mags were going to be made there, Mitchells said there were "still working on that".  I hope they find a quality manufacturer to work with.

$50 is a lot. CDNN sells Mec-gar semi-flush 20 round mags for $30, but if a flush fit is really important I could see spending the extra dough.  The Mec-gar 18 round flush fits are $27. Are two more rounds in a flush fit worth $23?  

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw that article and was very intrigued. I've never heard of the company before, so I'd have to wait for a lot of independent testing before purchasing.

$50 is a lot. I'm also using 20 rd Mec-gars and I've very happy with them for around $30 at Brownells. They only add about 1/2"-3/4" to the overall length of a standard mag.

I answered maybe. If the price comes down I might be interested. If it doesn't I'll pass and stick to Mec-gars which I trust.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Morons impressed with shiny things who can't do a bit of research buy from him.

Selling $100 rifles for $500
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah, those guys have a piss poor reputation among the mil-surp crowd.....
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#4]

IF i owned a P226, and IF the quality is there, i would in a heartbeat. how much are factory SIG mags going for at the moment...?

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Nah.  I'll go with the Mec Gars.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#6]
IF........they can pull it off reliably, that would be great.

That said, I'm QUITE happy with my 18 round AFC mags for my 92fs from Mec-Gar.  I KNOW they work 100%.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Beretta 96/.40
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+ a billion. I have bought several mec gar beretta 18 and 20 rd mags that were around $25-30.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for Mec Gars.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't buy anything from those hucksters.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yeah, those guys have a piss poor reputation among the mil-surp crowd.....

That's always disappointing to hear.  Hopefully they don't screw up a good technical idea with  these mags with poor execution.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#12]
50 bucks is quite a bit, but if they work well I might buy one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#13]

I can't say I would with the MecGars available and that this is basically an unknown compay to me with an unknown magazine of quality at this point.
Even if they turn out to be great quality and give excellent reliability as times goes on, $50 is BS.
They might be worth $30, but that's only if there on par with MDS and MecGar.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#14]
That spring design is not new. I have some Ruger P89 magazines with the same design.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#15]
stick with the Mec Gar mags

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That spring design is not new. I have some Ruger P89 magazines with the same design.

Interesting.  I wonder if they is a diagram some where so that I could see what there talking about.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sounds like the same design RamLine used for pistol mags for several years.
They did it with all kinds of centerfire mags. Nothing new,but I think it has to do with the old RamLine patent on the design running out. I've noted all kinds of duplicates to the RamLine 10/22 mag designs coming out lately,too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Not from Mitchell's.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They did it with all kinds of centerfire mags. Nothing new,but I think it has to do with the old RamLine patent on the design running out. I've noted all kinds of duplicates to the RamLine 10/22 mag designs coming out lately,too.

Correct and the RamLine 10/22 mags suck for reliability! Never used the pistol mags but the design seemed inadequate for the job.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

American Rifleman reported that Mitchell Manufacturing has found a way to squish a few more rounds into the standard Beretta 92, Sig 226, and Springfield XD magazines and increase them all to 20 rounds.  The trick to fitting in more rounds, reportedly, is the " clockwork spring pinned to the magazine body at its top that rests under the follower and unrolls itself as tension is increased".

Some of you probably know about this company as Mitchell's Mausers at http://www.mauser.org/index.htm

I called them and asked.  They said they won't  be out for at least 3 months and the price will be $50.   I asked if they would be increasing the capacity of XDM mags too and the person I talked to wasn't sure. I forgot to ask about pre-orders, but I'm doubtful.  It sounded like they are still figuring out where they are going to manufacture the mags. The picture in American Rifleman shows a mag with "Made in Serbia" at the base.  When I asked if all the mags were going to be made there, Mitchells said there were "still working on that".  I hope they find a quality manufacturer to work with.

$50 is a lot. CDNN sells Mec-gar semi-flush 20 round mags for $30, but if a flush fit is really important I could see spending the extra dough.  The Mec-gar 18 round flush fits are $27. Are two more rounds in a flush fit worth $23?  

Jam line did that with magazines before the ban and they didn't work any better than tits on a boar.

What makes Mitchell think their boar breasts are any better?

John
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct and the RamLine 10/22 mags suck for reliability! Never used the pistol mags but the design seemed inadequate for the job.

QFT!

I have 8 of those POS mags and not one feeds more than 1 or 2 rds w/o a malfunction.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Since Mitchell's opperates on borderline fraud as a business model ie: Mitchell's Mausers, I would pass.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't buy water from them if I was on fire.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Wow, not being a Mauser guy I had no idea Mitchell's Mausers had such a bad reputation.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if they can redeem themselves with this magazine design.  

For the record, I chose Maybe in the poll.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm happy with my 92FS's 18 round flush fitting mags.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I saw that article and was very intrigued. I've never heard of the company before, so I'd have to wait for a lot of independent testing before purchasing.

Do you live under a rock? They are in every gun rag selling over priced mausers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Nope, I am not paying $50 for a 20 Rnd Mag for my XD and I am not giving MM a dime
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ a billion. I have bought several mec gar beretta 18 and 20 rd mags that were around $25-30.

This.

No way I'm spending $50 for something I can get for $25 from a company I would actually trust my life with.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you live under a rock? They are in every gun rag selling over priced mausers.

Lol. I guess so. The only gun mags I read is SWAT and sometimes SAR, and I'm not interested in Mausers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I had that spring in a Ruger Mk II mag, and it was the only unreliable mag I had.  

Probably not interested.

To easy to get reliable 20 rd slightly extended mags from MecGar or their 18rd Flush Fit mags.

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Mitchell Mauser's is a dishonest company, they sell "all matching" mausers that have had the old numbers ground off and new ones stamped so they all match.  I have also heard of them restamping Lugers to make them more desireable verrsions.  I wouldn't give them any of my money.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, Ramline was the name I was thinking off. I have 1 or 2 Ramline Ruger P89 mags from 15 years or so ago, they have that type of spring design. The patent thing would make sense.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:43:01 AM EDT
[#33]
There's a fairly positive review out on these Mitchell 20 round Sig P226 and Beretta 92F magazines by Lt. Frank Borelli (ret), Editor In Chief for Officer.com:

Mitchell's Mausers Beretta 20-round magazine:
My publisher at Officer.com was handed this in the airport before going through security when returning from SHOT Show. He said that the airport security people "just loved" him for that. When we got back to Maryland and he delivered it to me my first impression was, "Oh; another after market magazine." Then I took a second look and realized that this standard length magazine holds 20 rounds. Now I've never been a HUGE fan of the Beretta M9 / 92F 9mm pistol, but I've carried one on duty for a number of years. Efficiently increasing the weapon's capacity from 16 rounds total (15+1) to 21 rounds total (20+1) does increase its appeal somewhat.

I can't find any information about the magazine on the Mitchell's Mausers website, so I'll report on what I can see and how it performed. The magazine appears to be an all steel construction with a brushed finish. It has clearly marked viewing holes to see round count and the "20" is easy to see - and still surprising. I used the magazine on the range in an old duty Beretta 92FS (dating to 1986 at least) and fired an assortment of ammo from it: ball, JHPs, junk found at gun shows, etc. During the use I didn't experience any malfunctions that might have resulted from the magazine. In fact, I experienced no malfunctions at all. All ammo loaded was fed properly and all spent brass was cleanly ejected.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/A-Few-Things/21$46458

Anyone else tried them yet?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#34]
No, I would never buy from a company who butcher historical firearms like that and defrauds the firearms community so frequently.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn't Eagle do this back in the early 90's?
If I remember correctly the springs failed to feed the last few rounds after a bit .
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Based on the written description, it sounds a bit like the spring set-up on the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle magazines.

ETA: I just took some pics of an ME mag and spring set-up, will post them later tonight.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:50:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Here are pics of the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle magazine.

The watch spring is threaded through an opening in the plastic at the top back portion of the magazine.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:43:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I own a flavor of all three of those guns. Honestly, If I need a 20 rnd option, I buy the MEC-GAR mags. They are all under $30 dollars and since MEC-GAR is an OEM supplier to all three of those brands, I know they will work (that plus 1000s of rounds of personal range experience with MEC-GAR products). The "flush fit" is really not important to me for the way I carry and use my guns. I would have to see a LOT of testing and field use of this "new design" before I would spend any money on or risk any problem with these mags.

If this is the same "Mitchell" that sells those buffed and forced matched k.98s that would be another reason to avoid them. I met a WWII vet (friend of my Father) who got suckered into buying one believing it was a rare, perfect, original, condition,  WWII German rifle. He felt like an idiot when some punk (me ) had to gently explain to him that it was not what he thought it was.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:13:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy water from them if I was on fire.

/thread
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Lol, a life long gunsmith/machinist friend commented to me about how he made a bunch of stamps for a company that sounded like Mitchell, he didn't recall exactly who, back in the 80's that reproduced the "rare" German proof marks.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a Beretta 92fs.. I would not pay more than $30 for a 20 round mag.  As he OP posted, the 17 and 18 round mags are $26 - 28.  I would much rather have 2 of those than one 20 rounder...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:20:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Thanks for posting pictures, Psychovore.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Since Mitchell's opperates on borderline fraud as a business model ie: Mitchell's Mausers, I would pass.

I'm curious about that. My father owns a Mitchell from when they were ~299 for the whole kit. Beautiful rifle and functions fine. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#44]
What was it Ramline used to call those pieces of shit back in the early 90s?  Continuous tension magazine springs?  

Not only no but FUCK NO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Am I missing something?  How is the Mitchell mag any more "flush fit" than a Mec-Gar 20 round mag?  If I wanted a big chunky extension on the mag, I'd go with the one from a company that doesn't screw people, with a traditional and proven design, for less than half the price.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#46]
$50 for what sounds like a modified Ramline?  Don't think so.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:48:08 AM EDT
[#47]
It could only cost $5 while being endorsed by every living SEAL on the planet as 100% reliable and i still wouldn't buy it from Mitchell's
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Not for $50.

I know the market has been charging more for stuff since the "gun salesmen of the year" obama took over......... but I'm not paying $50 for a mag
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Only factory or Mecgar mags (which in a lot of cases are the same) for me when it comes to pistols
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting pictures, Psychovore.

See the pics Camera Man posted?  The dimple at the top forward edge of the side of the magazine body is a rivet.  A spring like this riveted between that spot and the bottom of the follower:

The most unbiased evaluation of the design I can offer is it doesn't work reliably and it isn't durable.  Period.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top