Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 3:59:43 PM EDT
From: [url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21810-2002Jan9.html[/url]

WASHINGTON –– China is expected to have between 75 and 100 long-range nuclear missiles pointed at the United States by 2015, roughly quadruple the current number, according to a CIA report released Wednesday.

Many of those intercontinental ballistic missiles will be on mobile launchers, helping China maintain a nuclear deterrent against the vastly larger U.S. missile force, says the report, titled "Foreign Missile Developments and the Ballistic Missile Threat Through 2015."

Echoing earlier intelligence estimates, the report also says North Korea and Iran will probably have long-range missiles capable of reaching the United States by 2015. These assessments have been used to justify U.S. plans for multibillion-dollar missile defense systems capable of shooting down a limited ICBM attack on the continental United States.

The report draws together information and analyses from the CIA and other U.S. intelligence.

Currently, China has about 20 silos with CSS-4 nuclear ICBMs capable of reaching the United States, the report says. It also has a few medium-range, submarine-launched ballistic missiles and probably one submarine from which to launch them.

The Chinese military is developing three new missile systems, all of which could be fielded by 2010, the report says. The Chinese may also be able to mount multiple-independent re-entry vehicles – MIRVs – on its older silo-based missiles. These enable a single missile to launch warheads at several targets, vastly increasing potential damage.

China sees an expanded ICBM force necessary to overcome a U.S. missile defense system, maintaining its ability to strike the U.S. mainland. This would provide a deterrent during a conflict over Taiwan. While U.S. officials insist the missile defense program is to defeat strikes by North Korea and other "rogue" nations, some of those proposed defenses might have been sufficient to shoot down all 20 Chinese ICBMs. Eighty missiles would be too many, however.

China also is expanding its short-range ballistic missile force, and will probably have several hundred by 2005, the report says. These are armed with conventional warheads which could be used to bombard Taiwan from the Chinese mainland.

North Korea, meanwhile, has halted missile flight-testing until at least 2003, although it continues to develop the Taepo Dong-2, a two-stage missile that would be capable of reaching the western United States. North Korea also probably has one or two nuclear weapons that could be mounted on those missiles, the report says.

Iran, meanwhile, might be able to test a long-range missile around 2005, the report says, but more likely won't have the capability to do so until 2010.

The report reflects some differences of opinion between U.S. intelligence agencies, with one unidentified agency arguing that Iran won't be able to test missiles able to reach the U.S. mainland even by 2015. Its projections also assume each country's political direction will not change significantly during the next 13 years.

Ongoing U.N. prohibitions prevent Iraq from importing most of the equipment and expertise it needs to create an ICBM, the report says, but if those were lifted, Iraq could rapidly develop such weapons with substantial foreign assistance.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
con't...

Russia's strategic missile force will continue to get smaller, but Russia will still have far and away the largest nuclear missile inventory capable of hitting the United States, the report says.

Terrorists aren't expected to employ long-range missiles to deliver nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction on the United States, the report says.

"Ships, trucks, airplanes and other means may be used," it says.

The CIA report can be found at:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/pubs.html

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I LOVE IT...
Every time YOU buy something "MADE IN CHINA" you pay for those ICBMs...and based on ECONOMICS 101 as lond as we payed for them we will "get" them...
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, global economy, free trade...permanent most favored nation status..ya gotta love it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#4]
China scares me more than any other nation in the world.  They have something thst very few, if any, countries have - real political unity.  Sure, they do have crummy "human rights" and a very limited amount of freedom but from a global scale, they are more unified than any other.

They have a massive workforce and due to their low labor costs, earn business from the entire world.

And all of it is going exactly where they want it - into the military (and into the pockets of the elite politbureau members).

Scary, very scary.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
It was just a matter of time. As long as China adheres to the MAD policy, meaning they don't want to fry either, then we may be okay.

It's Iran and their ilk I worry about. All we need is another coup by Islamic fundamentalists, people who don't care if they live or die, and then we have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
No wonder GWB Jr. is pushing so hard for a ABM system.

Well, I guess we send China our dollars, and they will send back a Scud missle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
"China expected to target US".

Duh?!?!?!  What did you think?  That they'd send us some sweet n' sour pork?
China thinks they should be a superpower.  What would be there biggest obstacle?  Hmm, you don't think they would bomb us do you? Naw, nuclear weapons are only for deterance. Yeah, right!
I have some lovely investment opportunities for you in Argentina.  Cash only.  US dollars of course.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't overlook Korea while watching China.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I see GW brought back the same people who used to churn out all those issues of "Soviet Military Power" that were so far off base... remember the "missile gap" that wasnt?

But China is shitting bricks right now. At the moment, they could loose their entire missile force in the blink of an eye.  They have no way of stopping our B-2's and ALCM's from blowing up their whole missile fleet in their holes with conventional bombs before they even knew we were there.  So they are going to try and get mobile missiles and SLBMs that we cant track so easily.

Remeber they also now have to worry about Russia and India, they buy weapons off of Russia yes, but on a cash and carry basis. They arent friends.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Thank you Bill Clinton.

The CEO of Lorale (missle-guidance technology Co.) was the #1 largest single contributor to Democratic Nat'l Committee during Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign.

"Coincidentally" Lorale was then awarded with special waiver by Clinton himself (via Executive Order) to sell guidance tech to China.

China also was [u]allowed[/u] to abscond with our nuclear secrets under the Clinton Administration while (Bill asleep-at-the-switch)Richardson's Energy Dept. did [b]nada[/b] to stop it or investigate it!

Thanks Bill!!  We owe you one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Two biggest kids on the block, gotta fight sometime.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Just like Japan buying steel from us for years leading up to WW2 only to build war ships and equipment to wage war on us, the Chinese are doing the same thing via free trade/most favored nation status.

The Clinton/China legacy was one of the most damaging legacies any president has ever created for national security.

I guess Bush's missle defense project doesn't sound so stupid after all. I personally never thought it did, but his critics are blinded by the low tech threats, while ignoring the sleeping giant waking up in the East.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn it!  I've been spouting off about the Chicoms capability for some time!  The Chinese have big "Dongs"!  DaMan

PS - For you morons.... those are Dong Feng missiles! The Julangs are better!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Man if we ever go to war with China, where is Mickey Ds, Home Depot, KMart, WalMart etc going to get their clothes, shoes, and other trinkets?
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Just wait till we export liberalism to china.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thank you Bill Clinton.

The CEO of Lorale (missle-guidance technology Co.) was the #1 largest single contributor to Democratic Nat'l Committee during Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign.

"Coincidentally" Lorale was then awarded with special waiver by Clinton himself (via Executive Order) to sell guidance tech to China.

China also was [u]allowed[/u] to abscond with our nuclear secrets under the Clinton Administration while (Bill asleep-at-the-switch)Richardson's Energy Dept. did [b]nada[/b] to stop it or investigate it!

Thanks Bill!!  We owe you one.
View Quote

[url]http://asia.cnn.com/2002/BUSINESS/asia/01/09/china.loral/index.html[/url]
HONG KONG, China -- U.S. satellite maker Loral Space & Communications Ltd.
has agreed to pay a $14 million fine for passing missile technology to
China.
The satellite and communications company will pay the fine over seven
years to the U.S. State Department, through its Space Systems/Loral Inc.
subsidiary.
The subsidiary neither admitted nor denied the charges but has agreed to
pay the fine. It contends the information was "mistakenly sent to the
Chinese."

see link for complete CNN story.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
has agreed to pay a $14 million fine for passing missile technology to
China. It contends the information was "mistakenly sent to the
Chinese."
View Quote

Huh.  
No mention of the Clinton/DNC/$$ connection?
Now THAT'S completely unexpected. [:|]

Good follow-up warlord.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
has agreed to pay a $14 million fine for passing missile technology to China.
It contends the information was "mistakenly sent to the Chinese."
View Quote

[url]http://home.earthlink.net/~founders/chinaschwartz.htm[/url]
------------------------
"Schwartz (Loral CEO) said in the interview that there was "no linkage" between his generosity to the president and his party and Clinton's favorable decision. And he insisted that he had never personally asked the president -- or any other Clinton administration official -- for anything that would benefit his company. "

Schwartz gave $606,500 to the Democratic Party. In a 1994 memorandum, the White House deputy chief of staff, Harold Ickes, wrote to Clinton about fund-raising. "I have it on very good authority that Schwartz is prepared to do anything he can for the administration," he
wrote.

Two years later, there was something that Schwartz wanted -- the transfer of satellite export approval from the State Department to the Commerce Department.

[b]The decision by the president to transfer satellite export approval to the Commerce Department overruled a recommendation by Secretary of State Warren Christopher and caused friction inside the Cabinet over concerns that American security could be compromised.

Despite these problems, Loral continued its China launchings, each requiring a presidential waiver. [/b]
------------------------

Just to refresh our memory.

And remind us that CNN [b]conveniently[/b] forgot about the Clinton/DNC/Loral/$$/China/MissleTechnology connection in their above story.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I think war with china is a consern, but I have lots of freinds who are amaericans but are of chinesse heritage, and others who have been to china.  And that country has got some problems which are going to be smacking it in the face.  If we do go to war with em.  I think it would be convential, however, history does show them to be, well, kinda mean and unforgiving in a war.  But I do not think they could afford to pay for a war, or at least not for a long time.  And that would be a long war.  Well, that is part of my take on things.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#21]
This is OLD NEWS but ......!

This will give you an idea of the PRC's capabilities to put the nuclear HURT on the US!

[url]http://www.softwar.net/dongfeng.html[/url]

Klinton WAS the "Manchurian Candidate"!  The PRC was "given" most of the technology under his watch!

I don't have enough spit or bile to express how much I despise that bastard!

DaMan

PS - Many of those labeled "under development" are already a reality!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#22]
They have them and I would bet they are not afraid to use them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They have them and I would bet they are not afraid to use them.
View Quote

Sixgun, how true!  And they would most likely try to use them before we get our anti-missile defense system on-line.

DaMan  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if China's ability to hit the US West Coast is any greater than their ability to hit the East Coast.  Since their technology is, shall I say, more "primitive", they might not be able to really "go the distance" in order to effectively hit the East Coast.

Since I live on the US West Coast (SF Bay Area), I'm really more worried about this threat.  They would definately hit the SF, San Jose area.

Anyway, just another reason to move out of Kommiefornia.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Klinton WAS the "Manchurian Candidate"!
View Quote

Jeez!!  Friggin scary!

I think your right though , Klinton has been a sellout his entire life!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think war with china is a consern, but I have lots of freinds who are amaericans but are of chinesse heritage, and others who have been to china.  And that country has got some problems which are going to be smacking it in the face.  If we do go to war with em.  I think it would be convential, however, history does show them to be, well, kinda mean and unforgiving in a war.  But I do not think they could afford to pay for a war, or at least not for a long time.  And that would be a long war.  Well, that is part of my take on things.
View Quote

I hope we never go to war with Communist China either, but with Tiawan issue who knows. Communist China can lose a few million people and not even miss them.  Communist China is not particulary in love with the U.S., it is just like every other nation in the world, the want our green backs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top