Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2002 11:24:10 AM EDT
 Why did you buy a 4x4 vehicle, and do you actually use the 4x4 feature.  Help me win a bet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:26:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You should also make this a poll.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one becasue I used to live in snow country. It even snowed five inches here in SC last week.

I keep it, even tho I don't really need it, because

1. I can.
2. The environazis get ulcers when they see my 4WD coming.
3. Its paid for.
4. The environazis get ulcers when they see my 4WD coming.
5. Because the S  will one day  HTF.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought it to piss off my liberal sister and for the cool, macho factor. It worked.

I used to use the 4x4 feature alot in the OK snow but haven't really had the chance to use it since moving to TX.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought my 4x4 Ranger to (1)haul more stuff because the GVWR is higher than a standard truck and, (2) because it will get me to work better in crappy weather.

Whenever it snows, the streets around us are about the last in Stafford County, VA to get plowed.  I was sick of getting trapped in my house simply because the snow was piled up too high for my car to get over it.  Now...I just drop the rough riding pig into 4-wheel drive and roll on out.

Having said that...I am even more careful about icy and slushy slippery roads.  Even ABS won't protect you from black (glare) ice.

Yes, I use the 4x4 feature.

[^]  [^]  [^]  [^]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#6]
-Snow/ice and a new teenage driver in the house.

-Long driveway - intend to get a plow.

-Big game retrieval from the field (although I haven't been deer hunting in a couple of years.

-Offroad camping trips with my daughter.

-[b]INSTANT[/b] right-of-way on narrow 1 1/2 lane country roads.  (GTF out of that truck's way!)  [:D]

edited to add - I've been in & out of 4WD all week long.  (Icy roads up Ohio way.....)
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#7]
hey pa, long time!
YES, i was in 4WD on monday, passing everyone on my way to the ski resort. i bought it because it can do everything a car can do, but better.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Why did you buy a 4x4 vehicle?

1. Snow country - number one reason.
2. Haul dirtbikes - requires 4x4 to get into some areas to park
3. Mountainbiking - same as above
4. Sold my 98' Z28 and needed a cool vehicle
5. To tool around in the sand pits and mud holes
6. Because it makes me feel more like a man
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a '99 Ranger 4x4.  Bucket seats were available only on the 4x4.  Good enough reason for me!

(Edited to add:  I have taken it off-road where I have needed the capability, but that was by choice, not need.  Most places I go a RWD with limited-slip is all that is necessary.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#10]
My 4x4 pull great in mud and snow never left me stuck plus it's better on wet surfaces as all wheels grab for traction.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Ford Explorer and a Chevy S-10 (both 4wd)

The snow in Central MO can get bad...also when out hunting I have a couple low water crossing..the 4wd makes this very easy.  I also drive a 4wd at work....I have been in some situations were I was glad I had 4wd.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought it to piss off my liberal sister and for the cool, macho factor. It worked.

I used to use the 4x4 feature alot in the OK snow but haven't really had the chance to use it since moving to TX.
View Quote

Damn that's funny!  I do the same thing to my SUPER LIBERAL sister-in-law whenever she visits my wife.  She is the world's BIGGEST ant-gunner.  (One of her favorite sayings is, "Just THINK of all the good things you could do with ALL that money you and your fellow gun nuts have spent on guns?")  Because she is SUCH a pain in the ass, I always make a point of strolling through the house with either my nasty-looking, tricked-out AR, or maybe my Mossberg M590A1.  Military style weapons scare the hell out of her.

Now, I've always had a "good" reason for doing it...and my stroll always has the predictable result...she freaks!  Then my wife craps all over me later...'cause she knows I'm doing it to tweak her sister...but I don't give a damn.  They both like Rosie too...GRRRRRRRR!!!

God it's fun to piss off a liberal!!!
[;D]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#13]
coincidentally, i bought a cherokee (4 liter 6 cyl, 5 spd manual, amfm, cold ac) w/ 4wd yesterday. i don't care about the 4wd, never had it or needed it, but i intend to use it once in a while just to keep the gears shiny. hopefully 4wd will get me out of whatever mess 2wd gets me into. may add a winch.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I use mine to carry my dredge out to my mining claim in the mountains. yes I use 4x4.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I use it all the time. Summertime it is great to get into the higher elevation lakes and trails. In Montana we have roads that are designated 4WD only. Wintertime it is stardard equipment. The only way to travel!
    Errol
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#16]
1) I had to stop driving fast cars for the sake of my license.

2) I like being able to go anywhere I want to, like over curbs around people blocking my making a right turn.

3) Though it doesn't snow much here, when it does it's absolutely invaluable since road crews aren't prepared for it.

4) When I move I don't have to rent a truck, just a $10 trailer.

5) I enjoy driving in mud for no particular reason.

In case anyone's interested, it's a 97 Grand Cherokee Limited, full time 4x4, V8, towing package.

(Edited to ad #5)
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/8/98/95/25689895aZcDRNYDhb_ph.jpg[/img]

Yes I use it.  I bought it because I got tired of going to get the tractor when my truck was stuck.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I frequently use 4x4.  Heading up to the mountians in my truck, seeing all the little folk stop at the trail head and cruising on past.  ne of my favorite shooting spots is 4x4 only all year round.  Snow in the winter, and mud the rest of the year.  Oh yeah, also, when all my other friends get stuck, who do they call?  Me (gives me an excuse to go play!!! [:)])

86 GMC K-3500 454 4L80E 6in lift 35in BFG Mud Terrains/36in Swamper TSX
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#19]
paspecops -

Remember, your sample from here is a-typical.

Mostly, this is a board of people who hunt, fish, ride dirt bikes and shoot guns, all of which happens in the wilderness, which pretty much requires a 4WD.

NOT represented here are SNAGS (sensitive new age guys) who think "4WD" means [b]4[/b] lumps of sugar [b]W[/b]ith their [b]D[/b]ecaf, and  soccer moms whose "offroading" consists of hitting every pothole between home  and the schoolyard .

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I hardly ever use the 4x4 feature. Mostly got it because I like sitting higher up, it has some MASS, nice stereo, I can load up all my shooting stuff in the back, etc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought mine for the simple fact that I have to drive up mountains in rain and snow to fix radio transmitters.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I like mine for the snow.  Wouldn't be able to get up my driveway without it in bad weather.

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 40 acres of land in NW Arizona that is unreachable without a 4x4. So yes, I do use mine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
NOT represented here are SNAGS (sensitive new age guys) who think "4WD" means [b]4[/b] lumps of sugar [b]W[/b]ith their [b]D[/b]ecaf, and  soccer moms whose "offroading" consists of hitting every pothole between home  and the schoolyard .
View Quote

FWIW, gman, I represent a somewhat aberrant, [i]almost[/i]  SNAG-ish, demographic for both this forum and for my home region (Manassas, Virginia).  

There can't [i]possibly[/i]  be too many Gun-nut, concealed-carrying, 4x4-driving, muscle-car-owning, Renaissance Faire Actor, long-haired, dirt-worshipping bunnyhuggers in a place like Manassas, which is one of the farthest-north places in the country that still refers to 1861-5 as the "War of Northern Aggression" and considers possum to be a whole food-group unto itself.

That said,  yeah, I own a Dodge Dakota 4x4, and yeah, I use it, because there's places on my 4 acres that a Camaro just won't go, and when you need to drag an 18"-diameter oak tree around the yard, a trailer hitch and a tow chain is a heck of an improvement over a rope and a pair of gloves.

Also it helps me get up that 200-foot driveway when the occasional 12+ inches of snow makes the Camaro impractical for commuting in.

-BP
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#26]
1. I bought a Ford Super Duty 4x4 because I ski, snowboard, snowmobile, and camp and need the 'off road' and inclement weather  capability.I also need the towing and hauling capability as we ride Mx and desert, and we are also going to get a large RV trailer to lug around these United States.
2. I typically use the 4x4 feature 20 plus times a year. Each time I thank God that I ponied up and got the option.

On the other side, I have been WAY STUCK in a 4x4. Found a 'seep' type spring under a logging road while on a camping trip. This stick took a D-9 Cat to dig and pull the truck out. As a wise man once said, "4x4 will aloow you to get futher away from home before the inevitable stuck". My Dad.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#27]
1. I am an Internist with a busy hospital practice. I have to be able to get to the hospital regardless of the weather.

2. I frequently have to drive bad roads to get to a shooting range or a hunting area.

3. I hate the Doctor with the Mercedes stereotype. I am just a country boy at heart.

4. I turned forty three years ago and that red Jeep Wrangler sitting on the Jeep Dealer's lot spoke to me!! It was much cheaper than a Porsche or a blonde(MUCH CHEAPER!!). I am still married to the first wife who loves the Wrangler!

docmac86
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As a wise man once said, "4x4 will aloow you to get futher away from home before the inevitable stuck". My Dad.
View Quote

A jeep-owner friend of mine puts it this way:  "Owning a jeep makes it harder to get stuck, and ensures that, if you [i]do[/i]  get stuck, [i]no one can help you[/i]."
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I live in North Idaho which means above 2500 ft.=big snow.  Also, to reach some of the back country in summer means you need 4WD.  Not necessary for those who never leave paved streets but I do so....
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Q1: Why?
A1a: Because I cut my own firewood and hunt in remote areas.
A1b: Because I can.

Q2: Do I?
A2: You Bet!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#31]
On our first snow day of the year we had 104 wrecks and 80% of the vehicles involved were 4X4s.  Not to demean the guys here but some people are not aware that all cars in the US come with factory standard four wheel stop.  I have watched many a lifted full size pick up roar by traffic on the extreme left only to be the first dumbass of the day to have a wreck.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I have only had 4x4 trucks since 1988. I need to get to work no matter what, and I like off-roading, when I can.

P.S. Having the environazis go into seizures when they see my trucks...any of them was certainly a plus too. The biggest was a '86 K5 with 33x12.50R15 BFGoodrich All-Terrains!
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#33]
My Dodge Cummins is in four wheel drive 4 months out of the year for snow/ice and I use it for driving in rough country while getting to hunting camp in the fall.

It is a necessity and I can't imagine a vehicle without four wheel drive (or the winch that has saved my ass a few times)

Karl
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope, no need for my 4WD Suburban here....

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/1/62/52/28916252HRysBXAVRr_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes, had mine pulling on all fours yesterday in the mud.

Added a Warn winch and two inch lift kit to clear larger tires on my 2001 Toyota.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I used 4WD the past two nights here in CT.  That's the first I've had to use it since last winter.  My town borders the eastern portion of Westchester County.  Some areas are impossible to traverse w/o 4WD.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I use 4x4 all the time.

To get into the tules to go shooting.

To go hunting.

To go camping.

To haul the boat off the launch ramp.

To get through the snow in the mountains about three months out of the year.

I just generally like crashing around out in the boonies with a couple of dogs in the back of the truck and a rifle at hand.  Around here there are a lot of boonies, and you need 4x4 to get to them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#38]
... Slippery boat ramps at Saquaro Lake. Pulling a 32 foot cabin cruiser with twin V8s on a triple axle trailer was impossible with two wheeled drive.
I opted for the Chevy K3500 (1) ton dually 4X4 for the task.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#39]
bought a 95 Chev. 4wd PU and yes it is handy to have in Mammoth CA.  I smile everytime I see someone putting on chains.  I will admit I've only checked the 4wd [b]low[/b] range to see if it worked.  I try and stay out of really bad conditions in snow and ice.  I would use it in dry or muddy conditions but somehow the wife keeps me out of those situations.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I hunt and fish and often go down those Ga dirt roads that become red gumbo quagmires that are slicker than owl shit! [BD]

Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD Lariat. Love it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#41]
2001 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab 4x4

I use the 4WD all the time. The places in the AZ desert I like to go shooting are remote enough to need it. The one trip taken in a 2wd resulted in 3 hours of digging and pushing. Not fun when it's 110 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#43]
1)NotPC
2)Hunting

Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#44]
1) I wanted it.
2) I'm environmentally unPC.
3) I wanted it.
4) I take my son hunting and fishing; a Trans Am won't get you there.
5) I wanted it.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I hope you bet on heavy 4x4 usage with this forum.  Ain't too many soccer moms here I recon.  

1.  Honda Accord.  Big time 4 wheeler- goes places most 2x4 trucks can't go.  ALWAYS cracks me up.

2.  Jeep CJ-7.  More time off road than on.

3.  Ford Bronco II.  Play truck; hauls guns, dogs, wifes, climbing gear, mountain bikes, ...
4wheeling usually limited to snow, forest service roads, occasional mud holes and hunting spots.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I own 3 4wd vehicles. Two full-size Broncos and an F-350 crew cab fleet side.
Own them mostly to be able to get to work. Play with them in the mountains and mud (when I can find some).
Use the 4x4 quite a bit for both reasons.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I got my 4x4 specifically to go wheelin'.  I drive it over rocks and logs and in the mud.  In fact I might go get stuck in the snow this weekend.  (If you don't get stuck, you ain't tryin' hard enough).

Most of the people around here only take their SUVs mall, and the transfer case will never see low.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#49]
#1  93 k2000 turbo diesle.
Needed a combination tow vehicle daily driver.  It goes elk hunting pulling # 3 and sees regular snow use and hunting and fishing duty.  Here in Oregon this can mean mud at any time.

#2 90 jeep cherokee.
Wifes car, Bought when we lived in Central Oregon, her comute was 20 miles one way on ice and snow in the winter. Also sees some play time.

#3 67 jeep Super( yes Super) wagoneer.
8 inches of lift 35 inch mud tires rear locker no interior but the seats. My streat rod buddy says it is so ugly it is cool.  this one only goes out to use the 4x4. Usually hunting sometimes playing.

Did you win the bet yet?

For those who have the legendary truck that will go anywhere without getting stuck............I can stick it[:D]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Sold the Accord, for an 81 Toyota 4WD. Lived near ten miles down a rutted rocky cowpath in Maricopa county. During the Monsoon season, this "road" became three inches of grease. Since then I've moved into some civilisation..

I still find myself using 4WD at least ten to thirty miles per week..

Meplat-
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top